Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-21-2017, 02:11 PM   #15
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
What does the dent look like? If it's something that looks repairable, why not call the PDR guy yourself and have him come down to where you work and fix it for him?

That way, you can pay the dent guy directly without worrying about the coworker dragging his feet on the repair or perhaps coming up with an outrageous figure later on.

That's what I would do.

People have the 'right' by law, to have their cars fixed where they want. Even Insurance companies cannot dictate where you go...
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:16 PM   #16
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
People have the 'right' by law, to have their cars fixed where they want. Even Insurance companies cannot dictate where you go...
Yeah, I know, If it's just a little ding though, he can just call a PDR guy to come down and have it fixed right then and there.

Why drag it out for months (some people never get around to it) or have the guy try to make money on what happened by repainting the whole car?

If my car got dinged by a coworker, I'd want it fixed as quickly as possible. Of course, we would both agree on the actual PDR shop that would do it.

However, without any pics, we really can't determine how bad the damage is. For me, I don't like how the guy who got dinged is not getting around to it. Either he doesn't care about his car or he has something up his sleeve so to speak.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #17
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Yeah, I know, If it's just a little ding though, he can just call a PDR guy to come down and have it fixed right then and there.

Why drag it out for months (some people never get around to it) or have the guy try to make money on what happened by repainting the whole car?

If my car got dinged by a coworker, I'd want it fixed as quickly as possible. Of course, we would both agree on the actual PDR shop that would do it.

However, without any pics, we really can't determine how bad the damage is. For me, I don't like how the guy who got dinged is not getting around to it. Either he doesn't care about his car or he has something up his sleeve so to speak.

I agree, wanting to get it fixed. BUT, its not up to the person who did the damage where and how it gets done. Still the owners decision... If someone did it to MY car, and just showed up with a PDR guy one day, I would more than likely turn them away. Unless I knew their work, and reputation...
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:20 AM   #18
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Good on you for admitting it, and trying to work with him. It's fair to ask him to get at least a couple of quotes to get it fixed, and if he comes back with something you think is unreasonable, get a couple on your own. You certainly are liable for the repair, but out of a sense of fairness, he should work with you on it.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:04 AM   #19
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
I took pics, sent them to a PDR guy and he said $125. So I have some ammunition if this guy comes back with an unreasonable offer. Thanks for the responses!
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #20
Grey2ss

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
I agree, wanting to get it fixed. BUT, its not up to the person who did the damage where and how it gets done. Still the owners decision... If someone did it to MY car, and just showed up with a PDR guy one day, I would more than likely turn them away. Unless I knew their work, and reputation...
Totally agree because you caused damage it is not unreasonable that he asks for the door to be repainted. I would give him the information and if he is cool he would look into it PDR. Some dings when they pull it can crack the paint..

I do see your point but he has the right to have it fixed where he wants it done either PDR or painting the door.

Of course I give you thumbs up for not just leaving and hopefully he takes it to have ding repaired and it is over.
Grey2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #21
Northeast16SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
There's a couple PDR guys on here. I'm surprised no one has chimed in. Anyways, from my experience they usually charge a fee for the first panel and then a slightly lower fee for subsequent panels. $125 sounds right. When I bought my car it had eight dings. 4 on one door, 3 on the other and one in the rear 1/4. I would have never imagined that it would look the way it does after having them removed. Looks brand new. $125 well spent even if you paid it out of pocket.
Northeast16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:00 PM   #22
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
If he comes back with a high estimate involving traditional body work, rather than turning it into a battle, tell him about PDR, that they can fix the problem while keeping the factory paint in place. Tell him it is his choice, but that he should take a look at PDR because it is really the better choice in this situation, regardless of price.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #23
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
If he comes back with a high estimate involving traditional body work, rather than turning it into a battle, tell him about PDR, that they can fix the problem while keeping the factory paint in place. Tell him it is his choice, but that he should take a look at PDR because it is really the better choice in this situation, regardless of price.
I agree. I didn't want to say this because I know it's confrontational, but if he wants it repainted and such I'm just gonna tell him I'll give him the $125 and he can do what he wants. I'll be a little more PC about it, but someone earlier said this incorrectly, but insurance companies absolutely have a list of approved body shops, so I shouldn't be any different.
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:11 PM   #24
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
I agree. I didn't want to say this because I know it's confrontational, but if he wants it repainted and such I'm just gonna tell him I'll give him the $125 and he can do what he wants. I'll be a little more PC about it, but someone earlier said this incorrectly, but insurance companies absolutely have a list of approved body shops, so I shouldn't be any different.
just turn over to your insurance, that's what it's for. they'll send an adjuster out and that's what he's going to get. why are you even wasting your time with this?

and though insurance companies have a list of approved bodyshops, they can't make you use them. what they do is guarantee the work for the life of the car if you go to their preferred shop. are going to do that?
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:31 PM   #25
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
Yes insurance companies have a list of 'preferred' shops, but they cannot require you to use them, you can have your vehicle repaired at any shop you want The exception to this is if you go with some of these companies that target high risk drivers and you sign a contract that states you will only use their approved shops. Even then that only applies if you damage your own vehicle,.

Last edited by Welker2; 09-22-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Welker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:46 PM   #26
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
To worry about it before it happens is a waste.

If it can be fixed by PDR, most reputable shops will tell you to just that. However... if it's into the metal, and needs real body work, It doesn't matter how much you THINK you owe, you owe the actual cost to put his car back to how it was.

If you limit the level of your integrity to $125, then you really don't have any.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #27
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey2ss View Post
Totally agree because you caused damage it is not unreasonable that he asks for the door to be repainted. I would give him the information and if he is cool he would look into it PDR. Some dings when they pull it can crack the paint..

I do see your point but he has the right to have it fixed where he wants it done either PDR or painting the door.

Of course I give you thumbs up for not just leaving and hopefully he takes it to have ding repaired and it is over.
If it's a dent that can be completely fixed by PDR, why would you want the whole door repainted?

Depending on the color and where the dent is, that could mean blending into other body panels and making the repaired area even larger. If it was my car, I'd want to minimize any repair. If PDR could fix it, I'd want PDR so as to preserve the original factory paint on it.

And, just Iike I previously stated, I would consult with the owner (injured party) as to the PDR shop the owner would be comfortable in using. If PDR could not fully fix the dent, then we would coordinate on the body shop of choice he wishes to use to completely fix the damage.

However, like I said earlier, some people drag it out by never getting around to it until much later. This is what you don't want to happen.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:14 PM   #28
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
About one month ago a young man threw is door open & it went into my driver's rear quarter. Thank the Lord I was returning to my vehicle and saw it because he got into his vehicle and was driving off (he was a passenger). I latterly pulled him out of the car I was so pissed, when he done it I screamed at him, he looked down at it and actually had to pull the door away from my car because it had bound up. The ding/dent wasn't to to bad but the scrape in the paint was the problem. This was not a paintless repair job. Telephone the military police (happened on base) who responded, this way I got all his information. His insurance covered every single penny.