The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-18-2024, 11:09 AM   #99
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
"But, trust us, you don't want to do 200 mph in this car. Even 162 mph was terrifying, wandering and nervous to the point that we were concerned about our ability to shepherd it between lane lines."
and
"Although our braking regimen isn't nearly as severe as what a racetrack demands, a warning message reporting the brakes' demise popped up on the dash. Between the flappability at high speeds and the iffy brakes, our helmets are way off to former FIA GT racing driver Andreas Simonsen, who piloted the Plaid to what must have been a harrowing 7:35 Nürburgring lap."

I LOL'd at this!

It sounds like they're superior in short bursts but not something you want to beat on lap after lap.
Not too many people doing 162mph regularly but Tesla has addressed it with a carbon ceramic brake kit option for those that do. Tesla gotcha covered.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 11:11 AM   #100
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Most EV owners only need a public charging station when they are traveling beyond the full charge range of their car. Ironically, the only time I’ve ever used a public charger was in Canada. My car directly maps me to them when I need one. And in that case I had a choice of several. I was able to pick the one I wanted based on the rate speed of the chargers and how many were available. All of that information is displayed to my car.
Yep, Tesla really got it right with EVs.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 11:15 AM   #101
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
While EVs have limitations, some of which are magnified in certain geographic regions, much of the criticism is reminiscent of arguments likely made in the early 1900s. " these motorized coaches are temperamental and no one knows how to fix them! You can't find fuel anywhere! My horse runs on hay and water and they can just graze grass in a pinch! Let's see a motorized carriage do that! Nothing will ever replace the beauty of my stallion and the pride of ownership I have of owning such a magnificent animal! The sound of my animal's hooves during a full gallop is something to behold! Down with these smokey, loud, unreliable machines!"
I’ve been in the industry long enough to have heard the same back and forth on
  • Carburetors vs Fuel Injection
  • 4-spd vs 5-spd vs 6-spd AT
  • FWD vs RWD
  • OHC vs OHV
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 11:28 AM   #102
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post

I have found no evidence of these arguments ever made back in the day, they are a figment of your bumbling imagination. If a technology is better than its predecessor, it will win on its own merit. If it's absolutely better for every scenario, it will win in absolutely every corner of the market. There is no need to regulate it into existence and pump tax money into it, which has been happening for over a decade now, yet the uptake is still slow.

There is also no need for the typical absolutist, zero sum mindset on cars and trucks, I don't understand why the One True Winning Technology must exist, everything else is therefore "legacy" and be damned. EVs aren't even new, electric motor technology is older than internal combustion engines (ie these developments occur in cycles, it isn't simply "ICE ancient, EV modern"), plus everything in life is a tradeoff and not all people are alike, so it's entirely plausible that some would prefer this and others that, quite unlike the uniform outcome your makeshift horse analogy implies.
You might actually be surprised to know that you and I are aligned on this. And at the end f the day I think you’ll find that ICE and EV will coexist in the US landscape for quite some time. A lot of OEMs are tripping over themselves trying to figure out who can out-EV whom and who can make the next bold announcement. But when the smoke clears, both propulsion systems will exist. ICE will eventually be phased out of new car production just due to the technological advances that are still coming from the EV side. In my opinion, based on the data I have access to, most of us will be dead and gone by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
This entire topic is complex and nuanced, and I'm neither pro-EV or anti-EV: I do see the utility of these appliances for several purposes and their appeal to people who couldn't care less about the driving experience but want all the creature comforts they can get. However, this is a Camaro forum, I don't understand why several members feel the need to gush about EVs. I don't register on a Tesla forum and repeatedly tell them the ways I think the Camaro is superior to their cars either... okay, this is a semi-EV thread, I'll give you that, but the apologetics definitely aren't limited to it.
It’s very complex and there is a lot of misinformation (mistakes) and disinformation (blatant lies) floating around. I make it a point to provide data that helps those who really want to know what’s going on weed out the fact from fiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
I’m not sure why people are so damn negative these days. You’re either a car guy or you’re not. End of story. I love all things mechanical period. Anyone who loves to haul ass and is poo pooing a Plaid has A) never driven one or B) just plain jealous
It’s all about speed and nothing but speed from the beginning of time. I’m going to say 99.9% of all Camaro owners, myself 100% want a faster car. This has been true from the moment any half crazed man has stepped into any machine, whether it be powered by gasoline, alcohol, nitro, solid rocket engines, and now electric motors. Pull your damn heads out of your rear end, this is the greatest Moment in automotive history. Enjoy it.
As a point of fact, the Tesla model Y is the #1 selling car in the World. This is a fact versus the news generated false narratives that no one wants an EV.
I would like to think I am pretty much of the same vein. I love driving my Camaro and my MR2. But I also enjoy driving my (my wife’s actually) Tesla. I like a great car, regardless how it’s powered. I don’t see the need to try to talk anyone into buying an EV. Buy what you like. But I do have to stick my nose in when disinformation on EVs is tossed in as fact. Lots of fake news on the topic.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 01-18-2024, 11:40 AM   #103
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
You can't be serious....
100% serious, you can buy a 1000 hp EV or you can buy a 1025 HP ICE with a parachute. What the heck more can you want. Both cars with a warranty. If you grew up in the 70’s and 80’s when all you could get was a 175hp 305 in a Vette in CA you’d have a clue. The car mags were bragging about how bad ass the optional L82 option was in the Vette (200 ish HP).
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 11:41 AM   #104
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
  • FWD vs RWD
  • OHC vs OHV
you forgot gas vs steam
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 11:47 AM   #105
Owl3

Drives: 24 Sliverado 1500 ZR2, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
  • FWD vs RWD
  • OHC vs OHV
You forgot the Powerglide
Old 01-18-2024, 11:52 AM   #106
Owl3

Drives: 24 Sliverado 1500 ZR2, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
100% serious, you can buy a 1000 hp EV or you can buy a 1025 HP ICE with a parachute. What the heck more can you want. Both cars with a warranty. If you grew up in the 70’s and 80’s when all you could get was a 175hp 305 in a Vette in CA you’d have a clue. The car mags were bragging about how bad ass the optional L82 option was in the Vette (200 ish HP).
If you grew up in the 60's it was the L-88 'vette nobody wanted to buck up for to get the 400+ (more like really 500) HP. As I recall, that option was more than (maybe near) the base price of the car
Old 01-18-2024, 11:58 AM   #107
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Not too many people doing 162mph regularly but Tesla has addressed it with a carbon ceramic brake kit option for those that do. Tesla gotcha covered.

While that doesnt cover all the complaints, I have to commend Tesla on this offering!

Too bad GM isnt as responsive!
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 12:38 PM   #108
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
you forgot gas vs steam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl3 View Post
You forgot the Powerglide
HEY!! I am not THAT old. Geez!!

Old 01-18-2024, 12:41 PM   #109
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
I bring that up a lot with my team. They still scratch their heads trying to conceive what the drivability of a sub 200 hp Corvette would feel like.

Old 01-18-2024, 12:42 PM   #110
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
While that doesnt cover all the complaints, I have to commend Tesla on this offering!

Too bad GM isnt as responsive!
Have you specced the C8 Z06 lately?

Old 01-18-2024, 02:29 PM   #111
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 03:17 PM   #112
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Should say, "Ford & GM Shocked They Can't Sell THEIR EVs".
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote