Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-08-2023, 04:36 PM   #29
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
why not use a dial indicator to measure the face of the rotor as you rotate it. Seems like it would be able to indicate if the rotor is warped or not?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 06:28 PM   #30
tenargo57

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
No, and your bold highlight is talking about hats, not lug nut torque. What is says right below that is that the article presumes that the lug nuts are "installed correctly and tightened uniformly and in the correct order to the recommended torque specification"

In their rush to sell their pads, they skip the important point that IMPROPERLY torqued nuts cause are the #1 cause of warped rotors. Well of course the author's confirmation bias has "never seen one" when it's all in good condition and installed correctly. Well no shit sherlock, rotors in "good condition" by definition are not warped.

That's the same thing. In both cases it's not the rotor deflecting, it's the hat, which causes the rotor to be angled against the pads wearing once side down more than the other turning it into a "cone". There's even a diagram showing "tapered pad wear". I'm sure you know better than the engineers at a no-name company like Stoptech... Perhaps you should reach out to inform them that their white paper is incorrect.

Last edited by tenargo57; 12-08-2023 at 07:58 PM.
tenargo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 08:09 AM   #31
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
why not use a dial indicator to measure the face of the rotor as you rotate it. Seems like it would be able to indicate if the rotor is warped or not?
Might show something if there is thickness variation along the outer edge. But if the thickness varies from the center out, you need the runout gizmo to show that.
https://www.brembostoreusa.com/blog/...act-on-safety/
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 03:48 PM   #32
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
So I am now believing whatever the vibration was might not have been the brakes but something else. I was getting off the highway and I started hearing something knocking from the front loudly as I was deaccellerating. When I slowed down it became a very loud rackett that sounded like something was pounding on my wheel. I was worried that the caliper came loose and when I applied the brake it bucked and bucked and knocked and knocked.. I had to abort and pull over to a gas station. I checked the wheel and the calipre and both are secure on there tightly. I don't know what else it could be.. wheel bearing? There is no squeeling just knocking and bucking.. its currently undrivable, you can feel the passenger right side feel as if something wants to come apart so I am now waiting for a tow truck.
Need4Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 04:15 PM   #33
Need4Camaro

Disregard my previous post. It is the caliper. It came loose. I didnt notice it because it was seemingly secured on there. But on closer inspection I see where it tore up the inside of my wheel.. so I stood outside and let someone just inch it forward and sure enough the caliper moved. It also ate into the calper itself... Im kind of pissed at the shop that did this. I bought 1LE Calipers, had them cerecoated and had new wheels installed and all of that has to be redone. I am going to have to get them to repair all of this.

Name:  20231209_160920.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  143.6 KB

Name:  20231209_160925.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  163.1 KB

Name:  20231209_160930.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  150.9 KB

Name:  20231209_160926.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  164.0 KB

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-09-2023 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-09-2023, 04:29 PM   #34
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Eeek!
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 05:02 PM   #35
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
Eeek!
Yeah. I am very very pissed right now. How much recourse do I have to have the wheel and caliper replaced by the shop who did this? I had driven the car about 3k miles on the new hardware before this happened, 2k of those miles was a round trip excursion between Austin TX and Atlanta GA. Things didn't start sounding bad till shortly after I got back to Austin.

I'm trying to avoid going through my insurance because some hail damage claims to my other vehicles years past along with two not at fault rear end collisions to my SS has my premium up to $500 a month ...
Old 12-09-2023, 06:02 PM   #36
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Wow that’s disappointing! This is the very reason I let no other person touch my car
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 08:08 PM   #37
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Wow that’s disappointing! This is the very reason I let no other person touch my car
Normally I'd do it myself too but I don't have the free time during the day to work on it aside from basic oil changes.
Old 12-09-2023, 08:26 PM   #38
atx_traveler

Drives: blue velvet
those caliper bolts are very beefy and require high torque. hard to see how they could come loose.
atx_traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 08:35 PM   #39
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by atx_traveler View Post
those caliper bolts are very beefy and require high torque. hard to see how they could come loose.
Well, the OP said he had the calipers painted/coated and had the shop install them. So..... I'm guessing the shop didn't properly torque the caliper bolts and they loosened up.

OP, I'd say you have a strong case to get the shop to fix what they've screwed up (up to and including damage to your hardware if you can show that's what's happened). Search this site and find out the torque spec for those caliper bolts. It's a crap load of torque and also calls for red high temp loctite as well (at least on the 1LE).
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 08:38 PM   #40
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx_traveler View Post
To be honest, I'm very concerned this was done intentionally to sabotage my car. The reason being is, this is the same shop that serviced my 1999 Camaro Z28 before this happened: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...n-upgrade.html

I initially counted it off as the BMW wheels (5x120mm vs 5x120.65mm for F-Body's) ... but I'm worried that he did this because I am AA and this is the second time this has happened. This happened at Gumby's Performance if you happened to have been by their shop seeing that you're in the Austin area just like I am.. ..I have been to Aikman Performance but they hardly ever have availability and its very difficult to find a shop in the Austin area that will touch these cars in an aftermarket sense... ...I don't want to call out the dogs yet, because he did work on my car prior to this and I hadn't had any major issues but suddenly that has seemingly changed. He seems like a reasonable and nice person but I can't tell whats really going on with him and why this is happening.
Old 12-10-2023, 07:10 AM   #41
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I later replaced my wheels with 1LE sized Wheels / Tires and went with rebuilt 1LE front calipers, rotors and pads and also had the rear calipers rebuilt, new rotors and pads and for a short time braking was smooth.. but about 1 month later the braking shudder returned.
How long have these 6-piston brembros been on the car?
1 month?
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 07:53 AM   #42
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
How long have these 6-piston brembros been on the car?
1 month?
Yeah alittle less than a month. They were installed right before Thanksgiving.

But the shudder probably wasn't warped rotors but as it turns out my caliper came aloose and partially detatched from the housing, tearing into it and my wheel as well from a few posts up.