The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 02-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Shark72

Drives: '16 Z06/Z07, '15 Z/28,1972 Stingray
Current Stingray owners?

I really like the new C7 and was just curious how many of you guys have owned or currently own an original Stingray.
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
volsfan0911

Drives: '10 GTI for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark View Post
I really like the new C7 and was just curious how many of you guys have owned or currently own an original Stingray.
LMAO - they'd have to be in the serious "old fart" category like me . But honestly, the last time that moniker was applied to a 'vette was 1963, 1 year before I was born. All the research and reading I've seen on Tadge so far indicates he grew up in a Porsche household and has both mechanical and aerospace engineering degrees in addition to the obligatory doctorate work. He started with GM on the C5, he's literally spent the last 20 years or better whipping the 'Vette into shape. If anyone is in the right position to pull this off, he is. Hopefully, he got it right
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark View Post
Yep, like Volsfan said I am officially an "Old Fart". I have owned a lot of Corvettes over the years and still own a 67 Vette Coupe. I am looking forward to getting a 2017 Corvette to sit beside my 1967 Vette, 50 years apart. Marina Blue as an available color in 2017 would be avery nice option.
Attached Images

OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
imported_NoDak Scotty

Just, WOW!!! :rockon:
imported_NoDak Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Yep, like Volsfan said I am officially an "Old Fart". I have owned a lot of Corvettes over the years and still own a 67 Vette Coupe. I am looking forward to getting a 2017 Corvette to sit beside my 1967 Vette, 50 years apart. Marina Blue as an available color in 2017 would be avery nice option.
That would be a VERY nice pair... and if no Marina Blue, then a C7 in Laguna Blue Tintcoat is also quite attractive.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
OldJedi
Use the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
That would be a VERY nice pair... and if no Marina Blue, then a C7 in Laguna Blue Tintcoat is also quite attractive.
Well, we will have to be patient and see what is available in a few years. Thanks for all of the great pictures you took Stingray.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #7
StentS

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Anniversary LS3
Old Fart here too .....

I had a 66 roadster, silver metalflake, big block, factory side pipes back in 1976 .... The year I got married .... Still have the wife .... but the Vette is long gone .... Hmmmmm ....

StentS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
Shark72

Drives: '16 Z06/Z07, '15 Z/28,1972 Stingray
Sweet 67!!

Quote:
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
davidwp

Former Sting Ray owner (see sig). Silver Blue, Dark Blue interior, 340 hp, close ratio 4-spd, no power anything, no radio. S/N 14541, if you know where it is, please let me know.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
volsfan0911

Quote:
-sorry, was drooling on the keyboard. That is one gorgeous car......
Old 02-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
Gohan

Wish I was so lucky to call myself a classic Stingray owner.

Questions for you owners:

What's your feeling on the C7 Corvette being called the "Stingray"? Does it pay good homage to your classic Stingray, or is it sacrilege?

How do you guys like GM designer's modern interpretation on the original Stingray design?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
WesC5

Drives: 2004 Silver Corvette Coupe
Ditto here as far as being in the "Old Fart" category. I've owned a '65 convertible Stingray and my absolute favorite---a '66 Stingray....427/390. All original except the a/c unit. Nassau blue exterior and interior. Sold it in '97 to a cardiac surgeon from the East Coast. I'm still kicking my own butt for letting it go....
Although I haven't seen the C7 in person...yet. Everything I've read and all the pics I've seen justifies GM giving it the "Stingray" branding. No doubt about it.....this car rocks!
WesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
volsfan0911

OK - you guys are killing me with the old school 427's here. I need to hit the road and drive up to AC. Kerbeck is 3 hours from me and I could spend all day drooling over their collection. http://www.kerbeck.com

Plus get into the Saturday Borgata tourney. Play decent, get some good cards and make the final table. Down payment cash for a C6 to hold me over until the C7's get here.

[/fantasy]

Uh, how about I go to AC, play cards, go see the cars anyway and take a few pictures?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #14
OldJedi
Use the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan View Post
Wish I was so lucky to call myself a classic Stingray owner.

Questions for you owners:

What's your feeling on the C7 Corvette being called the "Stingray"? Does it pay good homage to your classic Stingray, or is it sacrilege?

How do you guys like GM designer's modern interpretation on the original Stingray design?
OK, I am going to be very, very biased here. I have owned several different generations. C2's - C3's & C5's but the 1967 was my favorite year of all time. The midyears just have a truly timeless design and the 67 was the most polished year of the five Sting Ray years. I do believe that the Sting Ray is a very revered name that should not be attached to just any Corvette. From everything that I have read on this car so far, it seems that it has earned it's Stingray badge. I am hoping the reality is as strong as the hype. There has been so much talk about the new Vette not having round tail lights. Maybe people do not remember or never owned one, but older Corvettes squeaked and moaned and have none of the sophistication of newer models. They also did not keep the original 7" headlights of the original C1's or the drum brakes of the C2's. Technology moves on and improves the the entire line of Corvettes and other models as well. If the reality of the 2014 Vette turns out to be as good as how it has been portrayed, then in my opinion it has earned the name STINGRAY. I am looking forward to parking a C7 next to my C2 and having two Sting Rays in the garage.