The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #43
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
Don't be scared....
Google "midget drag stripper" with safe search off THEN tell me that

But seriously...... I forgot what this thread was about
Old 11-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #44
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
The Camaro6 guys are all very 0-60, 1/4, et based in their performance point of view. Its actually kind of off putting to see after spending so much time on Camaro5. Does this mean that the 5th gen fans are a weird outlier as the earlier gens were also very focused on the 1320?

This by no means means that I'm saying the 6th gen can't/won't handle amazingly, it will, no doubt. However, the conversations on Camaro6 seem to be almost completely about the 6th gens ability to drag race. The desire for lap times has diminished to a murmur while everyone there is raving about the potential to put down even better 1/4 times than the mags.

Has anyone else noticed this or am i just imagining things?
And the C5 guys aren't? 1/4 mile times have always been the gold standard for the measurement of performance.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:14 PM   #45
strykerg8gt

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
1/4 mile times might be important to some but there is a decent portion of the population that is looking for a car to do more than go fast in a straight line. The gt350 is a track car. Saying that Mustang fans must be disappointed because of 1/4 mile times is like saying Corvette fans must be disappointed because the new Z06 with the Z07 aero package is drag limited to a top speed of 186 mph and that is slower than most supercars despite the fact that it'll put down faster lap times than nearly everything put up against it.

If you want a car that goes fast in a straight line get the Hellcat.

If you want a car that goes fast in every direction, better consider the gt350 cause it's a contender.
strykerg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:37 PM   #46
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
I feel more intelligent already..... and a little freaked out
That's right.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #47
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
And the C5 guys aren't? 1/4 mile times have always been the gold standard for the measurement of performance.
An ideal that was prominent on this site was that a great deal of Camaro5 owners had "grown up" beyond drag racing and made their purchase on account of Camaros more balanced approach and it's excellent handling prowess.

When drag racing was brought up it was almost though it were held in some slight disdain. As if all it proved was who had the fastest car/deepest pockets and was not as good of a measure of "real" driver skill.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:25 PM   #48
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
An ideal that was prominent on this site was that a great deal of Camaro5 owners had "grown up" beyond drag racing and made their purchase on account of Camaros more balanced approach and it's excellent handling prowess.

When drag racing was brought up it was almost though it were held in some slight disdain. As if all it proved was who had the fastest car/deepest pockets and was not as good of a measure of "real" driver skill.
youre definitely right dont argue anymore if that helps them sleep at night let them be. It's true car enthusiast sees a car's potential in all aspects not just its straight line performance and to consider this is a production car and making such comments is plainly blind bashing on the car.

We live in a great car era. ENJOY !!!

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #49
motorhead

Im not talking about drag racing per say. What I'm saying is that the 1/4mile has been used by just about everyone to compare cars. It's the most consistent way to measure one car against another, and people can easily relate to it. I love the fact that my ZL1 is very nimble on a back country, and I love a good handling car. I also like to be able to read down through specs on a car to see a 1/4 mile time that gives me some indication of the car's raw performance.

I don't believe any car guy that tells me he never pays any attention to those times when looking at a car. It's relavent information even for someone that tracks their car.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #50
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Im not talking about drag racing per say. What I'm saying is that the 1/4mile has been used by just about everyone to compare cars. It's the most consistent way to measure one car against another, and people can easily relate to it. I love the fact that my ZL1 is very nimble on a back country, and I love a good handling car. I also like to be able to read down through specs on a car to see a 1/4 mile time that gives me some indication of the car's raw performance.

I don't believe any car guy that tells me he never pays any attention to those times when looking at a car. It's relavent information even for someone that tracks their car.
Yes, it is "A" comparison, but not the only one. This is the flaw many have on our site. 'Merican Muscle. The Camaro is only a muscle car because it's all we have. Camaro has always been about more than 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Traditional muscle cars did that but generally without thought to braking or turning. Cough Chevelle cough, cough.

A cars balanced solution can and should include braking and turning as well as acceleration and the measure of that is the road course.

But that's just my opinion.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:18 PM   #51
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Yes, it is "A" comparison, but not the only one. This is the flaw many have on our site. 'Merican Muscle. The Camaro is only a muscle car because it's all we have. Camaro has always been about more than 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Traditional muscle cars did that but generally without thought to braking or turning. Cough Chevelle cough, cough.

A cars balanced solution can and should include braking and turning as well as acceleration and the measure of that is the road course.

I agree completely. I just mean that 1/4 mile times are used for comparison purposes as an easy way for folks to get an idea of performance. For me and how I use cars, it means more to get planted into the seat very hard than how fast I can go into a curve. I know others like the feeling of a car hugging a corner which is awsome too. It just isn't that imporant to me.
I think I pretty much have the best of both worlds with my ZL1 for a driver and not a car I race.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:26 PM   #52
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:

I don't. I've had a few cars in my life. And I'm a car guy.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #53
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykerg8gt View Post
1/4 mile times might be important to some but there is a decent portion of the population that is looking for a car to do more than go fast in a straight line. The gt350 is a track car. Saying that Mustang fans must be disappointed because of 1/4 mile times is like saying Corvette fans must be disappointed because the new Z06 with the Z07 aero package is drag limited to a top speed of 186 mph and that is slower than most supercars despite the fact that it'll put down faster lap times than nearly everything put up against it.

If you want a car that goes fast in a straight line get the Hellcat.

If you want a car that goes fast in every direction, better consider the gt350 cause it's a contender.
I like your thinking. We think alike.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:32 PM   #54
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

Reminds me of an old line that I used on this site to describe the difference between a muscle car and a pony car. It was something along the lines of "A pony car is designed to handle well around a road course. A muscle car is designed to handle well enough to make another pass at the drag strip."
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:45 PM   #55
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:

I agree...
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:58 PM   #56
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I don't. I've had a few cars in my life. And I'm a car guy.
Like I said, I don't believe any car guy that says they pay no attention to 1/4 specs. I seem to remember you spending an awful lot of time in the Hellcat threads.