Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
jkof08

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Hennessey CAI Heat soak NEED HELP!

ok so i keep hearing that the Hennessey CAI is horrible... and that ADM and CAI make ones that get 15-20 rwhp over the -2 hp that the Hennessey gets. i have the Hennessey CAI and i love the look and i just cant think that a company with that reputation would make a crappy CAI for a popular vehicle. is this really true that the Hennessey gets heat soaked or is this a study done by a co that doesnt sell them and sells the competitor so i cant help but think it is a little bias. let me know your thoughts.
this is my engine.
Attached Images

C.A.I. CAI, FlowMaster Pro Series, 1LE Strut Brace, Ported Throttle Body, Vengeance Tune, JRE Scoop, MSD Wires, 3.70 Gears, Stainless Works LT Headers and Hi Flow Cats, Pro Torque 3500 stall, LS3 Conversion Stage 2 TSP Port & Polished Heads, Kaotik CAM. 18x10 Forgestar F14 wrapped in 305/45/18 MT Street ET II's
12.068 @ 119.9 1.9 60ft (on 20' DR's with a VVT CAM)

jkof08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Yup, its chrome and thin plus your just paying for rhe name.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Gunslinger09

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Henessey doesn't have the best reputation out there. Just google Hennessey law suit. That being said look at the piece. It's a steel tube exposed to the heat coming off the engine and the heat coming from the radiator. Of course it's going to get heat soaked and drive up the IATs.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger09 View Post
Henessey doesn't have the best reputation out there. Just google Hennessey law suit. That being said look at the piece. It's a steel tube exposed to the heat coming off the engine and the heat coming from the radiator. Of course it's going to get heat soaked and drive up the IATs.
X2 I didn't want to post that but yeah
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
I think a drawback to metal tubes is they take longer to cool.

Here are a couple of pics of the ADM CAI with scoop and relocated washer bottle:

rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
ADM or vararam (if you have a 10/11
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
To be fair, I think the Hennessey CAI that was tested was without a heat shield. When they first released them, you had to pay extra to get the shield. Since it did so poorly in the test, they went ahead and made it standard with the CAI. What kind of high performance company thinks a intake that is sucking hot air right off the exhaust manifold, is going to perform well.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
Lol well Hennessey does have a rep of being expensive and that so called warranty they have behind there products is automatically voided if you race the vehicle. Just an FYI for most ppl considering them for some work to keep yalls eyes open on that one
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
I think this guy explains it really well......
Intake alone won't make or break you IMO.....
This is why I always believed in getting great airflow first by getting the Headers/exhaust/thermostat and such in other words get the heat out....

However to get to the CAI which is what you asked read what this guy said... plus he took a shot at Mustang

"Heat soak is a much broader term than just air intake temperatures. It refers to the engine bay's heat situation in general - how the engine itself absorbs and dissipates heat, how well the coolant system works, how well the oil stays slippery, and of course how much power the engine makes during all this.

The last generation GT500 had really bad heatsoak problems on the race track. It had an iron block, which absorbs heat slowly and dissipates it even slower. It was supercharged. I made a lot of power. It made a lot of heat too, and all that heat has to go somewhere. It goes into the cooling system - temps rise and heat absorbtion drops. It goes into the metals - temps rise, metals fatigue, tolerances grow tighter. It goes into the oil - it breaks down, viscosity goes down, friction rises. Everything in the general area is hot, so the intake air is also very hot, in that particular car exacerbated by the supercharger's compression - the air is thinner and holds less oxygen, the engine becomes prone to detonation, and the computer retards the timing resulting in a loss of power.

So yeah, it screws everything up."

Source: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=216205
Old 08-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Another write up on this topic covers why some are starting to powder coat their CAI like the new one from K&N..... so if it really concerns you you can always go that route.....

A lot of guys I know are power coating it to keep temps down on their intake....

"Heat Soak
Whether it's a SRI or CAI, both are subject to heat soak. Heat soak is when the hot air in the engine bay soak into the intake piping. When the intake pipes are hot, incoming air will also gain heat as it passes through the pipes into the engine. This results in less horsepower while driving and "bogging" when launching from a stop. The bogging from a stop occurs with the SRI. When the car is moving, air enters the engine bay through the radiator, or by other means, and will cool down engine bay temps slightly. When you're at a stop, engine bay temps rise as there is no air entering the engine bay to cool it down. On a 70 degree day, air intake temperatures at a stop can rise to 112 degrees! This will cause the bogging from a launch as all that hot air is being sucked into the engine and cool air won't be able to come until the car starts moving.

Some SRI brands come with a heat shield. The RMR intake and Injen intake are pictured at the top of the page. The Injen SRI has a heat shield that simply tries to shield the intake filter from hot engine air produced by the engine's exhaust manifold and piping. It boxes itself in between the fuse box and battery trying to isolate it self away from the engine. The RMR intake does a better job of this as it utilizes the stock intake duct into the heat shield. This provides cool incoming air from the the front of the engine to feed into the intake and may provide more power while the car is moving. Heat shields should also be coated with a heat resistant material. The RMR is made of steel and has a kind of thermal coating to keep hot air out. This provides little security from bogging from a stop as well does the Injen heat shield.

Whether CAI or SRI, coating the intake pipes do benefit for more power. You can have the intake pipes powder coated
sprayed with a ceramic type paint, or buy heat resistant wrap (though it comes out pretty ugly)."

Source: http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f82/c...m-intake-9955/
Old 08-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Has anyone tried wrapping their intake/heat shield with heat reflective material?
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #12
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Buy a pair of heat sleeves and slip over the intake tube. They are made to keep heat off your arms and work very well. Doesn't look pretty but who cares if it's a day at the track or whatever. It even has a perfect spot cut out for the MAF already where the thumb goes.

http://www.amazon.com/Mechanix-Wear-.../dp/B000R7LZH8

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
aggieguy13

Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
Or even "heat wrap" like headers. Then you can choose your color

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #14
aggieguy13

Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
Take off the engine cover as well. Lowers temp a few degrees. And looks so much sexier. LS are beautiful engines

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote