Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-19-2018, 11:36 PM   #1
California

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convertible
Question 2018 - Best Coilovers for Smoothest Ride

Hey Guys,

I have a 2011 Camaro SS with 22" Wheels and stock suspension.

I am looking to improve ride quality as my roads are really really crappy. However, I don't want to lose the amazing look of 22" wheels.

Which coil overs do you suggest for the smoothest ride quality? I know these are adjustable so I will be able to tweak them to a smooth setting, but any suggestions for the best brands that are still available in 2018?

Also, in case I was to downgrade to 20" wheels, would that have a bigger impact or the coilovers? (I am running 40 profile tires right now)

Thanks
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The best riding coilovers come from RideTech. Nothing else comes close. With 22" wheels, I am thinking your best ride quality would come from fresh 1LE front struts with fresh SS rear struts.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Ridetechs
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:19 AM   #4
California

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convertible
My current wheels weigh 34lbs front and 37lbs rear

I am considering the switch to 25lbs wheels but the tire profile would be the same. Would the same tire profile on a smaller/lighter wheel improve ride quality?

I guess I'm not ready to sacrifice the look of the 22" wheels.
Attached Images

California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
What about Ohlins? Has anyone compared the Ohlins R&T to the Ridetechs?
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #6
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevind View Post
What about Ohlins? Has anyone compared the Ohlins R&T to the Ridetechs?
One of the major advantages of the RideTech setup is the rear upper mount is converted from an hour glass shaped rubber bushing to a spherical and they at half the price of the Ohlins. If we go higher in price range, the JRI / DSE and RideTech Track Stars are the the best for track use. There are so few Ohlins in use, it would be nice to hear from more users...
Old 02-23-2018, 10:50 AM   #7
The camaro show

Drives: 2015 camaro 2lt
the best ride is on Air I suggest Air Lift Performance over any coilover
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Wheels: lexani r-3 bg finish 19x8.5
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #8
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

I can’t answer to ride with 22” wheels, but with 20” forgestars and Michelin’s, but with ridetechs set to soft, or even a bit higher, I kid you not, the ride is like our Camry with 19” wheels and hankook evo’s. On bumps yes you feel the hit more of course, but it’s cushioned and softer, not stiff. Set mid range with 19” and race tires it’s still good but firmer.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #9
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I love my Ridetechs.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:13 PM   #10
bkevind

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
One of the major advantages of the RideTech setup is the rear upper mount is converted from an hour glass shaped rubber bushing to a spherical and they at half the price of the Ohlins. If we go higher in price range, the JRI / DSE and RideTech Track Stars are the the best for track use. There are so few Ohlins in use, it would be nice to hear from more users...
That's interesting. Thank you. I just have limited exposure, not knowing how good ride tech is, never heard of them before (having Japanese and German imports mostly before).

I just don't want to go down the route again of mediocre coilovers. (Mediocre being pretty good relative to OEM but really only a minor upgrade).

I like the idea of DFV, I want that kind of compliance for bumpy roads/tracks. It's all theoretical for now.

So far for serious track use of the Ohlins, all i know of is Fusionofideas that recently switched to a custom setup of the Ohlins R&T. I'll be watching his progress this season (after he fixes the car) http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t#post10028340
Old 02-26-2018, 04:30 PM   #11
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
That's interesting. Thank you. I just have limited exposure, not knowing how good ride tech is, never heard of them before (having Japanese and German imports mostly before).

I just don't want to go down the route again of mediocre coilovers. (Mediocre being pretty good relative to OEM but really only a minor upgrade).

I like the idea of DFV, I want that kind of compliance for bumpy roads/tracks. It's all theoretical for now.

So far for serious track use of the Ohlins, all i know of is Fusionofideas that recently switched to a custom setup of the Ohlins R&T. I'll be watching his progress this season (after he fixes the car) http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t#post10028340
Ridetechs are made in the US, shocks subbed out to fox which is top notch. 1,000,000 mike warranty. Uses hyperco springs . Don’t get the cheap China made ones.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:38 PM   #12
bkevind

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Ridetechs are made in the US, shocks subbed out to fox which is top notch. 1,000,000 mike warranty. Uses hyperco springs . Don’t get the cheap China made ones.
Interesting, wonder how they get 1m miles out of shocks, that seems unlikely. I guess I'll put Ridetechs on my radar after all. Is there any data on the design of the Fox shocks? I know Fox (mostly from mountain biking haha and trucks), but as with anything there are levels (entry level to pro). Anyway, got some homework to do. Thanks for the info!

Cheap China made ones...
Yep been down that road, and it was bumpy

Actually the BC BR I had were pretty good for the money at the time - and I abused them for hundreds of track days, bumpy tracks and crazy gorilla over driving. I'm not as much of a cheapskate now I'd rather wait for the budget to be available than rush into a compromised choice. It's a safe choice for the low-end c/o.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:38 PM   #13
JusticePete

Quote:

The key is custom valving. How different is it from the standard Ohlins damper map?
Old 02-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #14
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Interesting, wonder how they get 1m miles out of shocks, that seems unlikely. I guess I'll put Ridetechs on my radar after all. Is there any data on the design of the Fox shocks? I know Fox (mostly from mountain biking haha and trucks), but as with anything there are levels (entry level to pro). Anyway, got some homework to do. Thanks for the info!

Cheap China made ones...
Yep been down that road, and it was bumpy

Actually the BC BR I had were pretty good for the money at the time - and I abused them for hundreds of track days, bumpy tracks and crazy gorilla over driving. I'm not as much of a cheapskate now I'd rather wait for the budget to be available than rush into a compromised choice. It's a safe choice for the low-end c/o.
Yeah not sure I will worry about 1,000,000 miles..lol fox I hear is some of the best. They handle great at autocross and the ride is amazing considering the spring rates. Single adjustable, but for me all I need.