Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #43
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawambo View Post
Hey folks,

I'm 90% certain I'm getting a ZL1 early next year unless insane ADMs slow me down. I DD and track my cars when possible. (Not currently tracking the Wrangler! )

Mostly just for fun, when my heart is set on a car (or anything), I always try to see if I can convince myself of another. So, cars I've been researching and cross-shopping with the ZL1 are:

1. Cayman GT4 - Yes, they themselves are going for over six figures used, but price aside, it would be a fun option.

2. 2017 GT350 - Gets Track Pack standard and prices have come back to earth.

3. Alfa Romeo 4C - Looks better than most, both inside and out, and "fun factor" - but also questionable reliability and subpar track performance in this group.

4. Stingray Z51 - Nothing bad to say about it, but I like that the Camaro has a backseat for my kid.

5. Focus RS - Fun, Rally-inspired, but also subpar track performance in this group

6. BMW M2 - Tossable, fun, mini M.

Your thoughts... Hey, it's something to do while we wait on more info.

Cheers,
N
My advice would be to go drive them all. If you've got that sort of money to wave at a new car, then you deserve to be in the driver's seat of all of them. What one person thinks is the best car in the world you may hate.

I'd tend to be cautious around anything French or Italian. I don't think we get anything French in the USA...but French and Italian cars are pretty renown in the UK for having electrical issues, and I've experienced a few myself (being a former Brit). They could be better now, and it may not bother you for that more exclusive ride, but it's something to consider.

BMW offers class and sophistication. Before owning a 3 series I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about, but having owned one I instantly felt what it was all about. I'm not sure where M3s sit in cost these days, but that might be a nice one to try for.

I don't have any behind the wheel experience with the Cayman, but a good friend of mine who owns a Noble M400 had a Cayman R for a few days from a dealership and he was blown away by it. I believe he put it second to his previous Noble (a modified GTO 3R), and found it exceptionally capable. This was before he got the M400, which I'm sure tops his list now. I don't know how the Cayman GT4 compares...slower I presume? What was interesting was that he didn't rate the Cayman S at all. If there can be that big a difference between the S and the R, then the GT4 may well fall short...

The turbocharged Focus' have always been enjoyable track cars. I suspect it'd be very easy to boost the power of the RS with some tuning and very little extra expense. It looks a bit garish, though. The other cars you mention are more...grown-up? So that might make a difference...it's a bit of a toy car, I guess.

I'd look at the GTR and both the Charger and Challenger Hellcats, too. If you can make the time to shop around, it'll be worth it. I've not driven the Hellcat, but the Scat Pak editions are fantastic fun!

You could also consider getting a Camaro LE1 or SS and supercharging it. All the SC companies appear to offer powertrain warranties, and you'd likely be saving some coin over the ZL1. But, it wouldn't be as exclusive, of course.

Go out, drive everything, see which feels the best and who will give you the best deal. Play them all against each other.
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:38 PM   #44
jesusmetal777
noob

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
My faith and patience are being tested. Even though I want a manual coupe, I can't seem to get any movement from my dealer - hoping for more info by the 6th. Otherwise, I may reconsider a Grand Sport - an awesome and amazing car on every level, but I liked the idea of a backseat for the mini car nuts.

Goal was to get the car by January-ish.
Are you willing to talk to other dealers? Dealers with available Phase 1 allocations are still out there. I know because the dealer I'm getting mine from still has one open.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:15 PM   #45
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB2017ZL1 View Post
https://youtu.be/C8bH2DO3jfc

Here something to chew on for the night. Hyper Blue and Red spied in Colorado!
Thanks for the vid...I cannot tell you how jealous I am living down here in deep S. TX seeing that. We have have set records for multiple days in the 100's & to see those sort of winding roads, of which I have none along with the landscape just made me grin.

Come on Winter & Q1 order time.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:59 AM   #46
Nawambo

Drives: 2023 Kia EV6 GT (577hp!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecchi667 View Post
My advice would be to go drive them all. If you've got that sort of money to wave at a new car, then you deserve to be in the driver's seat of all of them. What one person thinks is the best car in the world you may hate.

I'd tend to be cautious around anything French or Italian. I don't think we get anything French in the USA...but French and Italian cars are pretty renown in the UK for having electrical issues, and I've experienced a few myself (being a former Brit). They could be better now, and it may not bother you for that more exclusive ride, but it's something to consider.

BMW offers class and sophistication. Before owning a 3 series I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about, but having owned one I instantly felt what it was all about. I'm not sure where M3s sit in cost these days, but that might be a nice one to try for.

I don't have any behind the wheel experience with the Cayman, but a good friend of mine who owns a Noble M400 had a Cayman R for a few days from a dealership and he was blown away by it. I believe he put it second to his previous Noble (a modified GTO 3R), and found it exceptionally capable. This was before he got the M400, which I'm sure tops his list now. I don't know how the Cayman GT4 compares...slower I presume? What was interesting was that he didn't rate the Cayman S at all. If there can be that big a difference between the S and the R, then the GT4 may well fall short...

The turbocharged Focus' have always been enjoyable track cars. I suspect it'd be very easy to boost the power of the RS with some tuning and very little extra expense. It looks a bit garish, though. The other cars you mention are more...grown-up? So that might make a difference...it's a bit of a toy car, I guess.

I'd look at the GTR and both the Charger and Challenger Hellcats, too. If you can make the time to shop around, it'll be worth it. I've not driven the Hellcat, but the Scat Pak editions are fantastic fun!

You could also consider getting a Camaro LE1 or SS and supercharging it. All the SC companies appear to offer powertrain warranties, and you'd likely be saving some coin over the ZL1. But, it wouldn't be as exclusive, of course.

Go out, drive everything, see which feels the best and who will give you the best deal. Play them all against each other.
Thank you for the insight my friend, all great points, - and the 1LE is an option - but I am fairly sure my top two are the ZL1 or Grand Sport. Time will tell, I suppose.
2013 Boss 302 (Sold)
2006 STI (Sold)
Track and Rally Partners
Nawambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:00 AM   #47
Nawambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusmetal777 View Post
Are you willing to talk to other dealers? Dealers with available Phase 1 allocations are still out there. I know because the dealer I'm getting mine from still has one open.
Hi there,

I've seen your progress with your purchase and yes, assuming it's not over MSRP, I'm completely open to other dealerships, even though I'm in the DC metro. PM me please.

Many thanks,
Nawambo
2013 Boss 302 (Sold)
2006 STI (Sold)
Track and Rally Partners
Old 10-04-2016, 08:03 AM   #48
Blown355

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
How about a used F-type, V8 of course. Beautiful car.
Blown355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:19 AM   #49
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown355 View Post
How about a used F-type, V8 of course. Beautiful car.
My son-in-law is an editor for Topspeed.com and had a F-Type SVR for a week a couple weeks back. If I did not have a ZL1 already on order, that would be my car. I have driven most of the cars on this list and put my thoughts down earlier in this thread BUT the SVR is a whole new ballgame. The interior is the best I have ever experienced. The 575hp S/C v8 is incredible. The handling is very good (not GT4 good but excellent for the weight of the car). The exterior styling is gorgeous. The CC brakes are just insanely tight and give you an amazing amount of confidence to drive the car fast as you want. The paddles are quick, not PDK quite but certainly better than any other non-PDK I have ever driven. And my favorite part is the exhaust note....oh my...if I can get my new ZL1 sounding that good I will be really happy.

Like I said, I can easily dismiss most other cars for the SVR is world class and would be in my garage if not for my dedication to the Camaro family.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #50
jesusmetal777
noob

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Hi there,

I've seen your progress with your purchase and yes, assuming it's not over MSRP, I'm completely open to other dealerships, even though I'm in the DC metro. PM me please.

Many thanks,
Nawambo
Koons-Tysons (Vienna, VA): 2 available allocations, 1 available RTE (Black-on-Black) TPW 10/24/16
Ted Britt (Alexandria, VA): 1 available allocation

I'll PM you the salesmen contact info

To the haters: I'm not receiving any compensation or incentives for this, I'm doing it out of the kindness of my heart!
Old 10-04-2016, 09:17 PM   #51
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Really? This Zl1 will mop the competition. A10 will just be killer. There will be no other like the Z. Just wait.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:40 AM   #52
copper3000
Troy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
Really? This Zl1 will mop the competition. A10 will just be killer. There will be no other like the Z. Just wait.
Agreed!
Old 10-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #53
Nawambo

Welp... I couldn't seem to get any movement on a Phase 1 allocation for near MSRP (even though I wanted an M6 Coupe), so as of yesterday I put in an order on a Grand Sport and today it hit 3000.

I kept teetering between the two - each with their own set of pros and cons (namely the back seat for my kids on the ZL1) and on track performance will be excellent in either vehicle - and then went and looked at them with my fiancée and she and I both loved it.

You all have been great and I'll still be here.

Cheers folks and thanks for all the insight and kinship!

-Nawambo
2013 Boss 302 (Sold)
2006 STI (Sold)
Track and Rally Partners
Old 10-20-2016, 10:45 PM   #54
Sky Pilot

Drives: '13 Black ZL1
Choices...

Quote:
Thank you for the insight my friend, all great points, - and the 1LE is an option - but I am fairly sure my top two are the ZL1 or Grand Sport. Time will tell, I suppose.
The delay in A10 ZL1 has allowed time to peruse other manufacturers offerings. Having owned several C6 Corvettes I have been thrilled with my ZL1 to the extent I anticipated exercising my list topping position at local Chevy dealer for an A10 ZL1. However the delay in A10 availability has possibly made the new Mustang GT500 with A10 not too far distant from build date of ZL1. Additionally the new wide body Hell Cat rumored early next summer. Having garages with vehicles from the Big3 as well from Germany, I am not brand loyal to one manufacturer. While I still lean toward new ZL1, I am not quite so disappointed by delay as new products make theirselves known.....
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:24 PM   #55
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Welp... I couldn't seem to get any movement on a Phase 1 allocation for near MSRP (even though I wanted an M6 Coupe), so as of yesterday I put in an order on a Grand Sport and today it hit 3000.

I kept teetering between the two - each with their own set of pros and cons (namely the back seat for my kids on the ZL1) and on track performance will be excellent in either vehicle - and then went and looked at them with my fiancée and she and I both loved it.

You all have been great and I'll still be here.

Cheers folks and thanks for all the insight and kinship!

-Nawambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
The delay in A10 ZL1 has allowed time to peruse other manufacturers offerings. Having owned several C6 Corvettes I have been thrilled with my ZL1 to the extent I anticipated exercising my list topping position at local Chevy dealer for an A10 ZL1. However the delay in A10 availability has possibly made the new Mustang GT500 with A10 not too far distant from build date of ZL1. Additionally the new wide body Hell Cat rumored early next summer. Having garages with vehicles from the Big3 as well from Germany, I am not brand loyal to one manufacturer. While I still lean toward new ZL1, I am not quite so disappointed by delay as new products make theirselves known.....
I have heard of alot of people just tired of the long...and non-confirmed wait on the ZL1. So many delays on not just the A10, but other options...and the car as well. With updates such as possibly November....maybe 1st quarter 2017...or maybe spring 2017...too many "maybes" or unknowns. It is easier for people to wait if you set a date in stone, but when GM is unable to do that, it just causes frustration and makes potential customers wonder what is wrong?...or how many things are wrong? or even if they fix it, is it really fixed? or just a patch? We are fortunate that we live in a great era of cars, which is bad for GM as the customers who are not hardcore fans are able to find something comparable that they can get now...or maybe just sooner.

On two separate occasions, I have met two fellow car guys who I knew were on the list with deposits down for ZL1's who took there money back and bought something else. The first guy bought a 2016 Hellcat at discount as they are trying to get rid of the '16 apparently. They made him an offer he could not refuse. The other guy I met at a cars and coffee event with a GT350...I was like what?? But they went in a different direction, not willing to wait and concerned with whatever issues a new model will bring. I, myself, am beginning to question this wait...and is it the right thing to do. The ZL1 on paper is a great car...possibly the best of what is currently available, but as of this second...all it is is on paper...no one has one yet, ...just like the imaginary GT500 and the new imaginary ZR1...so what do we really know about it...
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #56
Fred25

Drives: 2SS Garnett,black enblems,AR Wheel
I bought the Hellcat this summer since Chebie was dragging but on the ZL1 10spd. Other cars I have driven that are also good alternatives and now probably cheaper were C6, Z06 and ZR1s. Much more expensive but also great cars Porsche 911 turbos S and Mercedes AMG series sedans. Only BMW I ever had was an M5 which was not sporty at all. It had horrible seats fit for midgets only. Liked the Mustang GT500s last one in 2014 was a great car, too, but very nose heavy and had no traction. Great for sliding around. The current Hellcat is very comfortable much better than the 2SS/16 I have but handles more like a sedan than a true contemporary muscle car. For and Chevy have cornered that quality. I am still thinking the ZL1 maybe the best super car out there for the money before V8s sink away.
Fred25 is offline   Reply With Quote