The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-14-2023, 07:34 PM   #15
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28GTOSSMike View Post
I turn 60 in September and was in West Germany in 85 as well. Time does indeed fly by.
I was in Darmstadt from early 85-late 88. I think it was in 86 when a bunch of us went to see Deep Purple in Stuttgart and were blown away by a little known warm-up band called Metallica.
Old 06-14-2023, 08:10 PM   #16
Blue 13
3P171 USAF Combat Arms

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
I graduated HS in 1989 and was going to go right into the USAF but instead went to college then enlisted in the USAF Reserves in 1994. Huge regret as I wanted to go to Germany for my 1st duty station not knowing I might have had a front row seat to history.
Blue 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 10:40 PM   #17
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue 13 View Post
Germany
Checkpoint Charlie Berlin in the 60s.
Attached Images

chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 02:11 PM   #18
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue 13 View Post
I was 52 in November. My family is all gone with my dad passing last year. My (2nd) wife just turned 38 in April. My two daughters are 27 & 21 with my oldest due in august making me a grandfather for the first time.
That's an awesome pic Dan!! You two look great!! I just turned 66 last month, and in July will be my 3rd year anniversary of being RETIRED!! Oh my, where does the time go. There is an old saying I saw recently, "time does fly, but YOU are the pilot" !! Enjoy the ride all...
Old 06-15-2023, 02:13 PM   #19
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
We're a bunch of old farts! That's a great pic, Blue.

My dad's still kicking and I still have most of my siblings. In fact they will all be descending on the house starting tomorrow, for a birthday bash. My mom passed a few years ago and my second oldest brother died along with his girlfriend at age 16 in a motorcycle crash on his birthday when I was 11.

It's been a good life overall and later this year, I'm thinking of starting training for my sport pilot's license!

I haven't had a drink of any alcohol for a few months now but I plan on hoisting one with ya on Saturday, Nothing!
Have an awesome time with your party Daniel!! Also, good luck on your pilot's license! That's cool.
Old 06-15-2023, 05:06 PM   #20
Nailbender

Drives: Chevy Camaro hwse 2018 GMC Sierra 1
Danail ,We share a birthday I also turn 60 on Saturday ! I don’t feel old in my mind and my wife is always asking if I’m still in grade school,but it’s getting harder to climb out of bed in the morning! I raise a toast to us both.
Nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 05:31 PM   #21
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Quote:
I turn 60 this coming weekend. I just came across my PADI dive certification. I was 22 and in West Germany at the time. Wow...
Congrats Danial!

Counting the weeks until I hit fifty nine. How the heck did that happen?
I distinctly remember being sure in high school that at this age I would be driving around in a convertible 'vette with two leggy blondes.
Something's gone horribly wrong with plan A.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 11:45 PM   #22
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Have an awesome time with your party Daniel!! Also, good luck on your pilot's license! That's cool.
Dude, I can't wait to start that journey (pilot's license). If I had to guess, that will be the last major thing I have to do in my so-called "bucket list". Life has indeed, been an interesting ride for me.

Back in the 1930s there was an adventurer by the name of Roy Chapman Andrews who was a fossil hunter, an explorer, and a naturalist. My dad gave me a book when I was in 8th grade that Chapman wrote that I still have. It's titled, "Under A Lucky Star". That book of his adventures and explorations, frankly shaped my life.

I have had fossils I found put in museums, I have scuba dived exotic locations and had my writings appear in dive magazines, I have driven an Indy car, mined for gold, camped in Alaska, been shot at, fired a 50 cal in West Germany, worked a commercial fishing boat as a teen, had a HAM radio license at 11, talked to William Shatner on the phone (invested in one of his movies), owned my own business. I saved a woman's life at sea, took a man's life to protect siblings (still hate all that), rappelled down sea cliffs and out of army helicopters. I have sold software, electric motors and women's underwear. During a hard time after my divorce in 95, I sold Avon to supplement my income. (Got a few stories there..) It has been a fascinating life.

Sorry, I'm rambling here. Jeezus, I need to stop. Is this a "getting to be 60 thing??" Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
Danail ,We share a birthday I also turn 60 on Saturday ! I don’t feel old in my mind and my wife is always asking if I’m still in grade school,but it’s getting harder to climb out of bed in the morning! I raise a toast to us both.
My dad is 86 and for decades, has called me the oldest teenager he's ever known so I get it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
Congrats Danial!

Counting the weeks until I hit fifty nine. How the heck did that happen?
I distinctly remember being sure in high school that at this age I would be driving around in a convertible 'vette with two leggy blondes.
Something's gone horribly wrong with plan A.
Hahaha! Right???
Old 06-16-2023, 08:43 AM   #23
chevy pilot

Quote:
talked to William Shatner on the phone (invested in one of his movies)
Beam me up, Scotty
Old 06-16-2023, 11:19 AM   #24
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Dude, I can't wait to start that journey (pilot's license). If I had to guess, that will be the last major thing I have to do in my so-called "bucket list". Life has indeed, been an interesting ride for me.

Back in the 1930s there was an adventurer by the name of Roy Chapman Andrews who was a fossil hunter, an explorer, and a naturalist. My dad gave me a book when I was in 8th grade that Chapman wrote that I still have. It's titled, "Under A Lucky Star". That book of his adventures and explorations, frankly shaped my life.

I have had fossils I found put in museums, I have scuba dived exotic locations and had my writings appear in dive magazines, I have driven an Indy car, mined for gold, camped in Alaska, been shot at, fired a 50 cal in West Germany, worked a commercial fishing boat as a teen, had a HAM radio license at 11, talked to William Shatner on the phone (invested in one of his movies), owned my own business. I saved a woman's life at sea, took a man's life to protect siblings (still hate all that), rappelled down sea cliffs and out of army helicopters. I have sold software, electric motors and women's underwear. During a hard time after my divorce in 95, I sold Avon to supplement my income. (Got a few stories there..) It has been a fascinating life.

Sorry, I'm rambling here. Jeezus, I need to stop. Is this a "getting to be 60 thing??" Grin

My dad is 86 and for decades, has called me the oldest teenager he's ever known so I get it!

Hahaha! Right???
Wow, hell yea!! I'll say you have had an "interesting, adventurous" life!! Carry on sir!! Wish you well for your future!!

Last edited by 1JEWLDSSRS; 06-18-2023 at 10:13 AM.
1JEWLDSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 12:50 AM   #25
chevy pilot

HBD Danial.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:18 PM   #26
HookemHorns

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy pilot View Post
Checkpoint Charlie Berlin in the 60s.
Oh man, I have seen tons of pics of CC as my Dad was stationed in Berlin during the Berlin crisis, a very proud member of the Berlin Brigade. It was a very sad era with the families being separated.

I turned 55 in Feb, feel like I'm 20 and act like it most of the time.
HookemHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 05:14 PM   #27
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Be 67 in 3 months. Grunt and groan a little getting in and out of the Camaro. But...from my cold, dead hands!
Old 06-20-2023, 09:52 AM   #28
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Be 67 in 3 months. Grunt and groan a little getting in and out of the Camaro. But...from my cold, dead hands!
I hear ya there!! Happy early Birthday! I just turned 66, and yea, with a bad back and messed up knees, getting in AND out is a chore sometimes. But worth it all!!!