The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Interesting design process article on Chrysler

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2...-camaro-market

^^^I'm not implying any Chrysler superiority, just interesting how the design process works on existing platforms.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Meh...that's neat, but the primary reason they beat them was because they already had a platform ready and willing to accept the car, and they didn't have to design a new interior (). Camaro wasn't even planned to be built until late 2006, and then it was a total ground-up operation.

Still neat, though.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Meh...that's neat, but the primary reason they beat them was because they already had a platform ready and willing to accept the car, and they didn't have to design a new interior (). Camaro wasn't even planned to be built until late 2006, and then it was a total ground-up operation.

Still neat, though.
That's why I put in the disclaimer lol, just interesting to me how they can take a platform and 'morph' it figuring out all the weld points, parts that crossover, etc.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
just interesting to me how they can take a platform and 'morph' it figuring out all the weld points, parts that crossover, etc.
It sure is. Computer programs are fantastic nowadays.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
This doesn't really explain anything we didn't already know. The Challenger is a 2 door Charger with the same engines, suspensions, and interior. Only real differences has been the body. The Camaro shares a bit with the G8 but there are much more substantial engineering changes that were made between the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
It sure is. Computer programs are fantastic nowadays.
Yup. If I really wanted to I could turn a transmission into a microwave oven, on my computer. Just gotta change the parameters of the parts and assemblies and exclude certain features and components and presto. It would be tedious and pointless, but possible. Right now, just for fun, I am making a model of a cardboard trebuchet on my computer (keeping my CAD modeling skills sharp). Anyway, every piece is derived from 1 part and I tweaked the parameters to get the rest. Eventually I will be scaling it up and converting it to plywood (I made this with digital ply-cardboard) using the same parts, but tweaked yet again.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote