The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
"The Interview"

What a pansified society we have become.

There was a time when if threatened by terrorists or blackmailers or extortionists or pranksters, Americans would have stood up and said, "Go fly a kite, you little b i t c h e s, we're the freakin. United States of America!"

But, we hear a threat from an inconsequential little mental case, descendant of OTHER mental cases, running a regime of oppression and regression and fakery, and we wet our collective pants and obey what the dictator has told us to do.

We are going to sacrifice our First Amendment rights, because we've 'been told.' We are going to cower at the feet of North Korea and Kim Jong Un, because we are no longer a country that is proud of its strength, but because we are scared of what they might do to us. We are setting a dangerous precedent, by allowing North Korea to tell us what we're going to do.

Seems really weird to think that at this moment, America's best hope for somebody to stand up and be heroic Americans falls to Seth Rogan and James Franco. They are the face of this issue, and it saddens me to know that America's pride and patriotism and strength depends on a couple of Hollywood actors.

Sure, Sony is the one that officially pulled the plug, and Sony is not an American company. But, they did so after a string of American theaters caved to pressure from a psychopathic little communist.

Today, we have shown a new side of America... and we've shown it to the world.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
2011shelby

Drives: 2011ShelbyGT500
I agree, it's childish they pulled the movie.

Seems they have a problem that in the movie they named the specific Kim Jong Un to assinate.

bad move on Sony too.
2011shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
Mean Green Z28

Drives: 2010 2SS
if it was based on history; even a made up story with Historical charactors, it would've been okay ... this one's about a current dictator, I could see both side of the story

Imagine they said "go to hell" and did release the movie and something unfortunate DID happen ... it'll be SUE CENTRAL! because people will just blame SONY for releasing and not themselves for attending the movies knowing there's a threat.
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
PHXLT1

Drives: black Z28
Whats even more sad than that is if Sony had kept the movie up then some American layer would be suing them on NK behalf.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
2004 silverado (daughters)
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
It's a joke.

Looked like a funny movie too, I would've went. Packing of course...
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
What a pansified society we have become.

There was a time when if threatened by terrorists or blackmailers or extortionists or pranksters, Americans would have stood up and said, "Go fly a kite, you little b i t c h e s, we're the freakin. United States of America!"

But, we hear a threat from an inconsequential little mental case, descendant of OTHER mental cases, running a regime of oppression and regression and fakery, and we wet our collective pants and obey what the dictator has told us to do.

We are going to sacrifice our First Amendment rights, because we've 'been told.' We are going to cower at the feet of North Korea and Kim Jong Un, because we are no longer a country that is proud of its strength, but because we are scared of what they might do to us. We are setting a dangerous precedent, by allowing North Korea to tell us what we're going to do.

Seems really weird to think that at this moment, America's best hope for somebody to stand up and be heroic Americans falls to Seth Rogan and James Franco. They are the face of this issue, and it saddens me to know that America's pride and patriotism and strength depends on a couple of Hollywood actors.

Sure, Sony is the one that officially pulled the plug, and Sony is not an American company. But, they did so after a string of American theaters caved to pressure from a psychopathic little communist.

Today, we have shown a new side of America... and we've shown it to the world.

But don't worry, there IS hope....
Please Matt & Trey hear our plight and respond in kind.... Oh please oh please oh please oh please....
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #7

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Attendance would have been greater with the "threat"....

The real enemy is Sony's personal e-mails that they didn't want exposed.....Sony traded freedom for protection from personal embarrassment....

I wouldn't look at it as the US "giving in"....It's more of Sony not wanting to be exposed for their middle-school-girl gossip....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
Yeah let's make a movie about assassinating the N. Korean dictator and not expect any backlash!

Wow Sony is pretty dumb to do that, sounds like they were asking for it. Sure would be nice to tell terrorists to "go fly a kite", but you know one thing is holding us back from that. They are terrorists!!!
Old 12-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #9
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
I could care less either way. It looked like just another stupid movie. Movies nowadays don't have any real entertainment value.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #10
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Sony should just eat the 44 mil production cost and release the movie for download to the general public. Then everyone in the world can laugh at the little dictator at the same time. What's he going to do about that?

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
IBTL

I always wanted to say that...
Old 12-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #12
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
They should claim they are pulling it, then release it in every theatre...
The White House just confirmed the Hack attacks came from N. Korea...

How can N. Korea claim to be so tough, yet cry every time somebody makes fun of them?!?!

Hey you!
Yeah, You!
North Korea, I am talking to you!
I have an idea, let's settle this once and for all time:
North Korea, since your Glorious Leader (Ha!) is a God, why don't we have a little challenge?
Him, vs one of ours?
You can pick from Tim Kennedy, or Chris Weidman, or Brendan Schaub...
5 five minute rounds....

I bet your fat boy leader doesn't last 30 seconds...

What's the problem? He is a God, right? How about you prove that?

Come and get me, I dare you!

Here, in this corner we have the Americans:
And over here, the guy who looks like a Native American with Down syndrome and an eating disorder:
Attached Images

Last edited by Spartan01; 12-18-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Spartan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #13
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
It's not just Sony. Several theatres refused to show it from my understanding.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #14
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
It's not about the movie, or whether somebody likes an actor or not, or even whether or not a person would have gone to see it. It's not about how it's easier to cancel the screenings, and subsequently the entire release. 'Easy' is not how America does things... at least it was not in the past.

Now we have set a precedent: Of course it's easier to roll over and give in, in the short term, but now we've shown that with a little sabre- rattling, the United States of America will do what it's told to do by whoever. NOT a good precedent. It smells a lot like negotiating with terrorists.

Granted, it's private industry, not government that has "given in" to the demands. But, private industry (movie theaters on American soil) doesn't have the confidence that America will "have its back" when threatened by weasel boy and his minions. And, now that we've shown a weak spot that we can be controlled with, does anybody think that this won't happen again and again?

What if some country thinks that the filthy unwashed Americans who eat pork products need to change their ways? Or, some country decides that our refusal to force a religious belief on our citizens is repugnant, and needs to be changed... or else? What if a culture does not like that women here allowed to drive and vote and not be classified one or two steps lower than dogs... and they want to change our evil ways? What if it turns out that some country decides that legalizing cocaine is what we will do?

Of course, those seem like extreme examples, but we have certainly opened the door to letting somebody else decide what we will do, as long somebody else threatens Americans and makes a good bluster. We have given up what the First Amendment protects, just because we were told to by NoKo... what else will we give up, for whom, and for what reasons?
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote