Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-26-2015, 12:15 AM   #1
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Foam gun / Cannon

Anybody here own a foam gun or cannon? I don't have either, I do the old car wash method but it takes forever and i'm never getting it %100 clean.

If so, what brand do you have? How well does it work? And how easy is it to use? I need something that's easy on the paint / wax but great with the glossy shine

(Sorry wrong forum! Please move to Cosmetic Maintenance, and delete this sentence when u do!)
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:09 AM   #2
velocity149

Drives: 2014 2SS RS LS3
chemical guys have an attachment for a pressure washer that has good reviews.

Thank our veterans for peace today, Support our troops for peace tomorrow. RIP Dad, 1962-2012 SYOTOS
velocity149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
Travis104

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I have a blackfire foam gun that I got from autogeek. It seems to work really well. A lot of people go with the gilmour foam gun if you are using a water hose. I purchased from auto geek because they were having a 20% off sale and free shipping over $149 at the time.
Travis104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
I started out with the gilmour foam gun attached to a garden hose. While it was ok at putting some suds on the car, they didn't stay on very long and I didn't find it to be worth the extra effort. Now that I have a pressure washer and a foam cannon its a completely different story. I can foam the entire car in less than a minute and the foam will stay on the car for several minutes if I wish. I still use the 2 bucket method for washing, but those extra suds already on the car does help and speed up the washing process.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #5
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
I started out with the gilmour foam gun attached to a garden hose. While it was ok at putting some suds on the car, they didn't stay on very long and I didn't find it to be worth the extra effort.
I too have the Gilmour foam cannon. For the money, I love it.

Now I don't think it's worth paying $50+ on a container attached to a pressurized piece that connects to a hose honestly.

Your car wont be any cleaner buying those expensive foam cannons than using one like a inexpensive Gilmour one.

http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-95QGFM.../dp/B000Y190WE

For the money, you can't complain at all. These things help lift the dirt and dust off of your car, so when it's time to rinse and wash, the dirt doesn't stay behind. It just slides right off with the 2 bucket car rinse method.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #6
The Patriot

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS VERT
I just got a cheap Harbor Freight foam gun. It was "meh", until I tried it with Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam concentrate. Nice thick foam to help lift dirt off my black car. I rinse, foam, rinse, then 2-bucket wash, flood, and dry.

"Today I didn't even have to use my AK, I got ta' say it was a good day"
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:03 PM   #7
i007spectre

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2008 HHR ECTO-2H
Love my Gilmour.
i007spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #8
gMcizzLe

Used the Gilmour for a while. It works decently, but the water pressure in my county is pathetic nowadays so it was just ok. Just got a cheap used 2500 psi 2.3gpm pressure washer paired with an MTM next-gen foam cannon...and holy s**t the foam...kind of makes the Gilmour feel like a toy in comparison. Definitely makes washing your car a more involved (and expensive) task though, so it depends on how serious you want to take it. I still have the Gilmour as backup in case I don't feel like getting the pressure washer out.

Mods:
CAI Inc. CAI
Elite Engineering Catch Can
gMcizzLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #9
DFWHD

Drives: 45th Anniversary Convertible
Been using my Gilmour for over two years now and love it!
DFWHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:42 PM   #10
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Best deal on a Gilmour I know of.
http://www.amazon.com/Bunnyk-Foamast.../dp/B00BS3GM7I

I use Adams Car Shampoo with it. Doesn't strip wax, doesn't spot if it dries, cleans great and smells great.

The best way to be "easy" on your paint is to use the 2 bucket wash method. Along with a high quality wash media.
Microfiber Madness makes the best you can find. I've used them for 6 months now, and have no wash or drying induced swirls or scratches. I wash my car usually 3x a week, sometimes as many as 5.
Their Incredimitt and Dry Me Crazy towel are the best on the market by far.

If you own a pressure washer, a foam cannon will provide more suds than a Gilmour.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:01 PM   #11
Eleven
Out-Shocker/In-Minivan!

Drives: 1LE
MTM Foam cannon with Chemical Guys Honeydew snow foam. Looks like cream cheese on the car, really thick. Bought the cheapest pressure washer at lowes and it works great!!
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:12 PM   #12
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Thanks for all your responses!

I just found out today that my dad has a pressure washer he is willing to let me use! So that is out of the way. Plenty of you are suggesting pressure washes and regular hose washes, than the two bucket method..

I found this baby online and thought about just using the pressure washer instead of the Gilmour. Not downing the Gilmour, but I feel like that would take more time and effort to fully soak the car.

http://www.amazon.com/MTM-Hydro-Prof...tm+foam+cannon

That being said, do I need a special kind of soap for this? Also, will I need to use a sponge to clean the car after I spray the foam? I'm brand new to this whole thing so I'm still a little lost lol.
guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:37 AM   #13
gMcizzLe

If my car is really dirty, I use Chemical Guys citrus wash and gloss. If not, I use either CG honeydew snow foam or Mr. Pink.

Fill up 2 5 gallon buckets with water and mix in soap, and get 2 microfiber/wool mits - one for the upper-half and one for the lower-half of the car. Also get 2 grit guards.

Now if you want to do it the quick way, take your soapy mits and go over the car quickly while the foam is still sitting on it. Rinse everything off afterwards.

If you want to get it as clean as possible, let it sit for a few minutes after foaming and then rinse the foam off. Now take your soapy mits and go over the car using the standard 2 bucket method wash. Rinse again afterwards.

Mods:
CAI Inc. CAI
Elite Engineering Catch Can
gMcizzLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:40 AM   #14
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Wayfair has the MTM foam lance 2600 PSI for electirc pressure washers for $56.85. The gas powered ones are $64.99.