Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
PETRA
My Addiction

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS DropTop
Question Vert Top Rattle Concerns

Ok so its been about 15 years since I have had a ragtop so needless to say technology of today is nothing like it used to be. That being said, I am wondering if my expectations are too high...... BUTTT.... I have rattle and I am wondering if it is normal.

My ragtop rattles inside the area where the release handle is located. I did not notice this when I first brought her home; it seems to be something that has magnified with vert top usage. And of course, any bumps,etc in the road makes it rattle more.

Anyone else out there have this rattle? Is it perfectly normal and am
I being overly protective of my girl?
You sound like my wife...at first she was.........but after a few rides in it and seeing me giggle lik a schoolgirl she was more like ............but then when I told her we could get her Vert lowered to match my stance she was like so it all worked out.

Last edited by PETRA; 05-18-2011 at 06:35 PM.
PETRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Sounds like something may be loose in there. I don't think mine rattles, I would take out by the dealer do they can look into it.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
No rattles on ours.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
No rattles in ours either
Old 05-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I've had two CTF convertibles for extended periods. Neither rattled. I'd suggest you take it to your dealer for a look. I can assure you your expectations are NOT too high. You should expect a rattle free Camaro, convertible or not.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #6
PETRA
My Addiction

thought so. Thanks guys(&gals) - guess I will be making a trip to the dealer.
You sound like my wife...at first she was.........but after a few rides in it and seeing me giggle lik a schoolgirl she was more like ............but then when I told her we could get her Vert lowered to match my stance she was like so it all worked out.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangerineDream View Post
thought so. Thanks guys(&gals) - guess I will be making a trip to the dealer.
Wow, the IO interior really pops on a black vert, nice!
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
Mine picked up a significant rattle yesterday on the way home. Sounds like its coming behind the driver' right, back over the rear seat. Haven't looked around back there yet, but will this afternoon. Only happens when the top is up.

Also, since day 1, my driver's side window squeeks where it meets the weatherstripping on the top. Thought it would go away after the foam "broke in" a little, but it hasn't.
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
nukemustang

Drives: 2017 Raptor, 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooG View Post
Mine picked up a significant rattle yesterday on the way home. Sounds like its coming behind the driver' right, back over the rear seat. Haven't looked around back there yet, but will this afternoon. Only happens when the top is up.

Also, since day 1, my driver's side window squeeks where it meets the weatherstripping on the top. Thought it would go away after the foam "broke in" a little, but it hasn't.

Check the "bump stops." there are two, one on either side of the car an it seems that is what provides tension on the convertible frame when it is up (i.e. so it is not pulling directly on the deck lid). I could push down on the vert top near the back and it would be just springy enough to come back and hit the bump stop, causing a rattling. I adjusted it one turn (further down) to add just a bit more tension and mine stopped. you should be able to see them with the vert top in a mid position, looks like a plastic cone on a threaded screw. I am sure as the weather changes significantly those may need to be adjusted to accommodate for the heating and stretching of the top.

hope this helps... I can take pictures later if needed.

Tim

SOLD:2016 2SS Red Hot Convertible with black metallic rally stripes
SOLD:2011 Silver Ice Metallic 1SS/RS Convertible. Completed modifications: installed factory HUD, deleted AFM/DOD, Dynatech LT coated headers with high flow cats, Solo Cat back exhaust, CAI inc. intake, Vmax ported TB, SIM quarter flares/splash guards, steering wheel radio controls, PDIM iPod interface in center console, RX catch can, JRE cold air scoop, windshield washer bottle relocation.
nukemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Thanks Tim! I'll take a peek at that later and report back.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Found the stops....they were tight.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
nukemustang

Drives: 2017 Raptor, 2017 SS
the stops were tight on mine too, it was how tight the convertible tops aluminum support bow rested against the bumpers, or rather were pushed against it. I pushed on the bottom area of the top, nearest the trunk, where the bow was and was easliy able to get the top to push away from the top lip of the black trim around the trunk area. To me this said that the little stops were not holding the bow far enough down (and hence tight) and allowing the bow to bounce or vibrate going over bumps as slight changes in the top happened. I adjusted the bumpers down by loseing the nut and just one turn to apply more pressure to the bow when the top was up, preventing it from being able to bounce around. I still have no problem latching the top either.

hope this explains it a little better.

SOLD:2016 2SS Red Hot Convertible with black metallic rally stripes
SOLD:2011 Silver Ice Metallic 1SS/RS Convertible. Completed modifications: installed factory HUD, deleted AFM/DOD, Dynatech LT coated headers with high flow cats, Solo Cat back exhaust, CAI inc. intake, Vmax ported TB, SIM quarter flares/splash guards, steering wheel radio controls, PDIM iPod interface in center console, RX catch can, JRE cold air scoop, windshield washer bottle relocation.
nukemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
PETRA
My Addiction

So now that my intention is to take my rattle to the dealer for their assessment, it stops rattling. Almost like whatever was loose has snuggled up against something and is sitting snug now.....

figures.....
Old 03-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #14
fuelrags

Drives: 2011 RS Convertible
Top rattles...

...Our 2011 RS Vert just developed rattles overhead thru out. There is a TSB from the top company and parts had to be ordered. The day we drove off the lot after the repair was done, the rattling is still there!...DOH!!!!, Good job Chevy!
fuelrags is offline   Reply With Quote