Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 08-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #29
Nash_2SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingSpeed View Post
But wasn't that just for the city of Austin? I don't see the point in front plates anyway. If cops are going to have those plate scanners on their car they should be on the back of the car too. On a 2 way road going 40 mph with heavy traffic it is just impossible to read every character on the plates. Besides don't most people get pulled over from the back where plates are normal?

Excellent point!
Nash_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #30
Nash_2SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk 2013 View Post
Had one on my 370Z worked well I guess I could put one on the ZL but front sits so low.
I heard that the spring that performs the action of mounting and demount often fails at high speeds or if its windy.. damaging the car potentially.

Read it on amazon.com reviews.

How's the quality on yours? where did you get it?
Nash_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #31
Roaddog

Drives: 2014 LS V6 bright yellow
my dealer had me sign a release not to install front plate in california and left the bracket in the trunk for that day when i need to fix a ticket
Roaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #32
InsanityStrikesAgain

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS - 14 Silverado Z71 LTZ
From my observations although it is a Texas law it seems to be up to the LEO discretion to whether he or she decides to give you a ticket or pull you over for it, the dealership I bought my 14' 2lt didn't have a any front license plates mounted on any camaros on the lot. I drove from Houston to south padre island passed countless state troopers and local police and none seemed to care...in the city of Houston is the same no one seemed to care until I was riding down the outskirts of Houston on a small farm to market road and was given a warning...before I made it home I was pulled over again and received a second warning for no front license plate...one day my luck will run out so I bought long zip tie now it's on there
InsanityStrikesAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #33
blk 2013

Drives: 2017 SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash_2SS View Post
I heard that the spring that performs the action of mounting and demount often fails at high speeds or if its windy.. damaging the car potentially.

Read it on amazon.com reviews.

How's the quality on yours? where did you get it?
I used one by show and go it worked great slide out from bottom and up had rubber bumpers on the back to protect car. comes in manual or electric
blk 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #34
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex70olds View Post
Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

While this applies to everyone's Camaro's here... it's not fully accurate. A car that is registered as "antique" does not require a front plate. In fact, when you register it they only provide you with one plate. Of course you are limited on use of the vehicle, but when you are using it proper (taking it to a show, to get maintenance or repairs, etc.), you do not have to have a plate on the front. Again, I know it doesn't apply to anyone here... but I thought I'd add this as the quoted "law" is not fully accurate, or at the very least it is misleading to this point.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #35
pickwithaustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk 2013 View Post
Texas people last year they almost did away with front plate keep emailing your Rep in Austin maybe it would help

They ARE changing the window stickers - (1) Registration, and (2) Safety Inspection, will become one sticker now. That in itself is a big improvement. I hate those stickers in the front windshield.

Cars registered as antiques, in addition to no front plate, also do not have to have safety inspection or registration sticker. Thank goodness that the classics don't have to have these things on them.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

Old 08-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #36
scottykarate

Drives: 2012 Saleen 620 Yellow Label #7/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
They ARE changing the window stickers - (1) Registration, and (2) Safety Inspection, will become one sticker now. That in itself is a big improvement. I hate those stickers in the front windshield.

Cars registered as antiques, in addition to no front plate, also do not have to have safety inspection or registration sticker. Thank goodness that the classics don't have to have these things on them.
So, why does Texas use those stickers for the windshield? I'm sure there's a good reason, but the police can see the stickers on a license plate and pull you over in states like Colorado where they put stickers on the plates.
scottykarate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #37
Pitboss

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS
People were stealing plates with the stickers on them, or razoring the stickers off (because some people wouldn't remove the old stickers and just put the new ones on, layering them)... the reg stickers have your plate number on 'em... have to match the plates to be legal. So, if someone gets their plates jacked, and uses the stolen plates and gets pulled over, the officer knows the plates are stolen when they don't match with the reg sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottykarate View Post
So, why does Texas use those stickers for the windshield? I'm sure there's a good reason, but the police can see the stickers on a license plate and pull you over in states like Colorado where they put stickers on the plates.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #38
2012InfernoSS

Drives: 93GMC sierra stepside/ ctsv3
I had the bracket on mine when I picked it up so I didn't have much of a choice but what I did was took that bulky plate holder off, took the license plate bent it to curve with the bumper and then drilled new holes in the plate to match with where the bracket mounted.. Didn't wanna drill more holes in the bumper so, did it on my wifes 13 Malibu and haven't had any problems

2012InfernoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #39
DFWHD

Drives: 45th Anniversary Convertible
I didn't see any mentions to JacFab brackets. That's what I went with as it uses existing bolts under the front bumper.

The funny thing is when I picked up my plates at the dealer back in 2012, my service advisory said he'd only use the factory mount if I insisted (he hates drilling bumpers), so that's when I started searching for alternatives and ended found the JacFab info on C5...

Enjoy your car, I know I have mine!
DFWHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #40
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Dallas police doesn't do much, I haven't had plates in the front for 8yrs now
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #41
white ZL1

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWHD View Post
I didn't see any mentions to JacFab brackets. That's what I went with as it uses existing bolts under the front bumper.
Had one on my SS and have one on my ZL1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Dallas police doesn't do much, I haven't had plates in the front for 8yrs now
Well that's shit.
I've only been in Texas now for 3 years and got pulled over once in the SS for no front plate and once in the ZL1 for no front plate.
And neither time was it down here in Waxahachie, so it's not the local PD.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #42
pickwithaustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitboss View Post
People were stealing plates with the stickers on them, or razoring the stickers off

Right. As much as I hate the sticker in the window, it's necessary because, yet again, the low lives have made it difficult for the rest of us.

Tags
license plate texas law