The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 12-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
rayw1128

Drives: none
Clicking noises when clutch is engaged under load with cold engine?

An issue that I just noticed yesterday...

Just some background info... my vehicle is a stick shift Z51 that just passed 1000 miles. Driving it home on 12/8/13 as I was backing it into the garage, I noticed that my steering wheel was really hard to turn (almost felt as if it had no power steering) and notice that I had a "service rear axle" warning in my dash. Shut off the car and went to bed.

Next morning, I started the car and see that the warning light was no longer there. Called a local dealer and was told to bring the car over and they will take a look at it. Brought it to the dealer and they said they will see what codes are stored in the computer.

Got a call the a day later from my adviser saying they found some codes in the vehicle but was told that it was some thing related to the communication between the modules and that a reflash took care of the issues. He told me he wanted to keep the car for an extra day just to make sure everything was ok.

Got a call the following day from adviser that everything was taken care of. So I went to pick up the car. Adviser told me that they checked the differential fluid and notice it was a smudge on the low side, so they topped it off. He also said they reflashed the ecu and solved the module communication problems. I got in the car to drive off, engaged the clutch, put it in reverse and gave it some gas to back out of the parking space. As I let off the gas and engaged the clutch again to shift to first, I heard three clicking noises coming from under the car right as I engaged the clutch. I was able to duplicate the noise again in the parking lot of the dealership. As I have never heard this noise before, I asked a tech to check it out. Drove it around the block with the tech in the passenger seat. I was able to duplicate the noise only once, which he also heard. But by that time, the noise was a lot less pronounced. The tech told me that its normal drivetrain noise and said I should not worry about it, so I left the dealership.

In my drives today, I notice that the sound only occurs when shifting between low gears and only at very low speeds (might due to the fact that shifting at higher speed, the sound is blocked by road noise) Furthermore, the sound only occurs as the clutch is being engaged immediately following being on the gas (no sound when shifting from neutral to first or neutral to reverse from stopped). And the sound is louder when the engine is cold.

I'm worried that this sound is not normal, especially since I haven't noticed it before. But I might just be paranoid as I just got it back from service. So I'm seeking some guidance and advise and want to see if anyone can shed some light as to what it might be. If anyone else have heard this in their vehicle, please chime in.
rayw1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #2
Stingray949

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51
Yes that is NOT normal. Take it to a different dealer now or they will probably BS you again! Your car shouldn't make noises like that unless there is a problem!
Stingray949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
It would seem to indicate a change of some sort in the drivetrain has taken place. But let's rule a couple things out before rushing back to dealer service. First, was there a sigificant change in weather/temps from the time you dropped the car off tobthe time you picked it up? The clutch has a number of moving parts, and noises often crop up when parts are cold (materials shrink a touch and become looser). If ypur clicking goes away after driving a short while, that could indicate cold parts are warming back up. However, if the clicking continues even after a lot of driving, or in warmer air temps, then temperature is unlikely to be the source.

Is the clicking very loud (can it be heard over the radio)? If so, that points to a likely problem - typical drivetrain noise generally is quieter in volume than problem sounds. On a similar note, did the reflash change your stereo settings? The 2LT& 3LT Bose systems have a noise cancellation feature, which may have been turned off in the reflash, allowing minor drivetrain noises to be heard, when cancelled out before the service.

I'm not trying to say you don't have an actual problem, which is entirely possible. I'm just pointing out that since your service included only a fluid top-off and computer reflash, the chances a mechanical problem developed out of that is pretty small. Unless the service guys were out doing burn-outs in your car at night, that is. If you're uncertain about your current service department's work, by all means take it to a different dealer for a second opinion. Just be sure that dealer sells and services Stingrays, as many dealers will not have a Stingray-trained tech at this point.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
rayw1128

Drives: none
The sound is louder when the car is cold... after its warmed up, everything seems normal. I think I will drive it for a couple of days and see how it goes. If sound persist or gets worse, I will take it to a different dealer and get it check out.
rayw1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
Buzzardz_vette
Remove Before Flight

Drives: 2014 Cpe Z51 2LT Torch Red
Go here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...ns-thread.html and post the problem. Kelly from Chevy Customer Service is monitoring the thread and will work to get your problem fixed. It's a long thread and I seem to recall a couple of people saying they are hearing the clicking noise.
Buzzardz_vette is offline   Reply With Quote