Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
haleyd
determined future owner

Drives: 2004 pontiac grand prix gt2
Send a message via AIM to haleyd
ok, need some advice on how to talk to this dealer....

alright, i'm going to try to explain this without confusing all of you and myself LOL!

there is a dealer in my town that has a 1LT/ABM/RS/Auto (no sunroof though:() on their website they have the car listed as $29,045. I called about it because i couldn't figure out how the heck it could be that much... so i called the dealer. i asked him how much they were asking and he said "the sticker price is $29045, but i could sell it to you for... are you a gm employee (i said I'M not and didn't tell him my dad is)... we could sell it for $28500." So, i got on edmunds and if anyone can tell me whether or not edmunds.com is a legit site to use or not to use, that would be great because according to the edmunds, msrp on this car is $28475. which means they are technically still asking more for it. and invoice price is $27071.

SOOOO, my question is (if you were able to understand anything i said. ha) what should i do about this? it has everything i want but a sunroof. i'm very tempted, but i certainly won't pay over msrp.... i'd prefer to pay sticker since they would still be making money on the sale. but maybe i'm just being too demanding lol... i'm a woman after all

i realize that this car is going to be hard to find, but my bottom line is that as much as i love the car, i don't want to feel like i'm paying more than i can really afford just because i love it so much. it might sound stupid to some of you, but that's just how i feel. i would rather not have it and be financially ok, then have it and be strapped for cash! make sense? anyway, if you could give me advice on the above stuff, i would REALLY appreciate it!
haleyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
RogueSS

Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6 #100296
Find the dealership online and see if the car is listed in their inventory, then you can look at the sticker.

Or, go to the lot, grab the VIN, and check it out online yourself.

Pulling up a VIN at random on camaro.spasticsquirrel.com for a 1LT/Auto/RS it had an MSRP of $27,675. However, I have no idea of other possible additions the car on the lot has, which could easily push it up to a higher price. If you can find the car online and look at the sticker that's the best way to know what the MSRP is

All work by JDP Motorsports

04/14/12: 381 RWHP 383 RWTQ at JDP Motorsports
RogueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
haleyd
determined future owner

it is online... that's how i found the price... i'll check right now and see if the sticker is on there. please hold... lol!
Old 03-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Have you seen the car, and more importantly the msrp on the sticker? That's the starting point for negotiating with the dealer. Walk in there with your checkbook in hand and be ready to walk out if they won't play ball.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Since your dad is a GM employee, he gets it for a set price. Call and ask what the price is for being a GM employee. I would have saved $3500 or more had GM allowed the discount to be used when I got my car last year.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
StrangeMan

Drives: 2SS SIM/Blk
Send a message via Yahoo to StrangeMan
Edmunds is a great resource. I use it all the time.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
haleyd
determined future owner

the gm discount isn't even $1000 anymore i don 't think... i'll ask them that tonight when i go in to look at the car.

i'm looking at the window sticker right now, but i'm wondering if edmunds.com is not updated with the correct pricing or something.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
jmelchio
SSmokinJoe

Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS/RS M6
Do a search from the Chevy website (pick Advanced search, and you can search for upto 150 miles from your zip code), and see if there are any others in the area. Once you know that there are a few, you can go back to your local dealer with a little more negotiating power, and possibly a few solid price quotes on the exact car that you want. Good luck.
jmelchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
You said 'invoice' is 27,071.00 and they will give it to you for 28,500 which is 1429.00 profit for them. (not counting the BS stuff) You have to assume they will need to make something on the car. Doesn't have a sun roof so that's a big negative. Yo udon't want to regret in any way shape or form, buying this car. The most you could reasonably expect to get them down would be maybe 500.00, possibly more, but Im talking odds here. 500.00 over the price of a long loan shouldn't be too much to 'strap' you. If it is, you should rethink getting it anyway.

So I would say, the possible dealbreaker here would be the sunroof. Sounds like you might like this car a little.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
RogueSS

Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6 #100296
Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyd View Post
the gm discount isn't even $1000 anymore i don 't think... i'll ask them that tonight when i go in to look at the car.

i'm looking at the window sticker right now, but i'm wondering if edmunds.com is not updated with the correct pricing or something.

The window sticker is more accurate than Edmunds. Chevy puts the sticker up with the MSRP when the car is shipped.

What's the MSRP on the sticker? Or better yet, what's the VIN?

All work by JDP Motorsports

04/14/12: 381 RWHP 383 RWTQ at JDP Motorsports
RogueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #11
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Well, the dealer can charge (or at least try) whatever they want to for the car. Go on the GM website and build the car. See how much it is. If you are alright paying exactly that amount, then go to the dealer and tell them you are prepared to buy the car today for $x. If they say ok, then buy it. If they say no, then you need to be prepared to walk away (at some point). BTW, why not see if your Dad can get you the GM pricing on the car and if the dealer will accept it.? Good luck and keep us posted.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyd View Post

I knew that GM screwed up the GM Pricing but didn't think it was that bad.

There have been a couple of price hikes that Edmunds hasn't accounted for yet.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
GM also has $1000 off on their website for any camaro.
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #14
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Since your dad is a GM employee, he gets it for a set price. Call and ask what the price is for being a GM employee. I would have saved $3500 or more had GM allowed the discount to be used when I got my car last year.
If you are a GM employee and didnt get the discount, YOU GOT SCREWED!!! Plain and simple. GMS has been allowed by GM from day 1 on the Camaro. The only cars not allowed are a ZR1... maybe a CTS-V. Sorry, dealer lied to you. It is and has always been up to the dealer to honor it but 99 times out of 100 if they don't, they will blame GM. I am sorry but you got the El shaft-o!

Haley... if your dad gets GM price, take it and run! The current is somewhere in between the old GMS (employee) and friends and family discount. Keep in mind the GMS was only for EMPLOYEES and immediate family of. My MSRP was $36615 and I paid $33,500 with GMS.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote