Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-21-2006, 03:07 PM   #15
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Camaro Convertible preview... exactly what you'd expect
Posted Dec 21st 2006 9:19AM by Alex Nunez
Filed under: Concept Cars, Detroit Auto Show, Convertibles, Chevrolet

Early next month, when GM opens up their stand at the Detroit Auto Show, expect to see a concept version of the new Camaro Convertible front and center. While the Camaro's debut at last year's show was a surprise, there are leaks aplenty surrounding the 'vert.

So, while it wont exactly be a shocker when it appears, it'll still have our tongues wagging. The Car Connection, who has the story, mentions that when the Coupe finally bows, we can expect to see 6- and 8-cylinder (obviously) versions. We've heard juicy rumors from inside sources about a potential horsepower figure beginning with "5" for the top-of-the-line Z28/SS/whatever-they'll-name-it. This would make complete sense since the Shelby GT500 dishes out as much, and the Camaro will need to be able to run with (or past) the pony to keep the base happy.
In the meantime, we're counting down the days to January 7, when we'll (hopefully) get to see the purported convertible in person.

[Source: the Car Connection]
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:03 AM   #16
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
We've heard juicy rumors from inside sources about a potential horsepower figure beginning with "5" for the top-of-the-line Z28/SS/whatever-they'll-name-it. This would make complete sense since the Shelby GT500 dishes out as much, and the Camaro will need to be able to run with (or past) the pony to keep the base happy.

This is EXACTLY the kind of news we need to hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just pray to God that their "inside sources" are true inside sources and not people spreading rumors. I hope they're telling the truth. IMO, they hit the nail on the head when they compared to the GT500. If GM does want to keep up and be ahead of the competition, it's time for them to step up and not put out 345hp top of the line Camaros. It's time to take the lead. It's time to show everyone what GM can do. It's time to show them what GM WILL DO. Bring it GM.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 06:50 AM   #17
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
all I got to say is why render it in purple? and I'm excited to hear the top of the line with a rumored 5somethin hp rating. I would still say a 480 would still out run the gt500. that thing weights as much as my neighbors f-150. lol.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:15 AM   #18
IToldYouSo
Banned

Drives: 2005 corvette z51
im not a big convertable fan. i always thought that camaos and trans ams looked a little weird in a rag top. i think 2 seater cars look better as verts.
IToldYouSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:25 PM   #19
Cleotiz

Drives: 1995 Z/28
i would like a convertable with an retractable hardtop, the benefits of both a convertable and a coupe.
I dont have a garage, but then i would buy one of those for sure :P
Cleotiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #20
Namrepus28

Drives: 1996 Camaro 3.8L V6
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I've been cruising the forums for a couple months and figured I might as well register and post I'm here so often.

Just wanted to say "Thank Goodness!" after seeing the cover of that Autoweek magazine. After GM unveiled the Camaro Convertible, I couldn't help thinking "what the hell is up with the windshield surround? Why in god's name is it Silver? It doesn't match at all! I really wasn't digging it.

Now that I'm looking at some photos here though, it's nice to see that it's the body-colour. Looks alot better I think. It just seemed so out of place earlier.

Namrepus28
Namrepus28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:19 PM   #21
Just a Skidmark
original senior member

Drives: 1993 s10 tahoe 4.3L v6 tbi
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
all I got to say is why render it in purple? lol.

I think it is because one of the camaro convertibles came in purple, not sure what model, but I am sure it was a 1st gen camaro
Just a Skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:25 PM   #22
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
did anyone else notice how it said "Ford Mustang SEDAN plans"....
is ford going the way of dodge and makin a 4 door stang so they can further their goal to sell one to EVERYONE?
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:04 PM   #23
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I dug a little into that, and here's what I found in Autoweek...
Quote:
Ford quashes AutoWeek’s ’Stang sedan report, announces Mustang-based sedan concept for Detroit
By BOB GRITZINGER

Ford officials have “categorically” denied plans to build a sedan or wagon version of the iconic Mustang, but at the same time confirmed that the Dearborn automaker will show a Mustang-based, rear-drive, four-door concept at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January.

AutoWeek reported in its Dec. 18 issue and on autoweek.com that Ford product planners last fall met to discuss ways to take the Mustang mainstream and global, possibly by expanding the lineup to include sedan or wagon variants.

In a release issued Dec. 15, Ford said the company has no plans to expand the Mustang line. The release stated:

“Ford Motor Company today made clear that recent media speculation concerning an expanded Mustang line—including a sedan and wagon model to be sold in global markets—is not true. Mustang is an icon and will continue in its current form: a unique, two-door, rear-wheel drive, 2+2 performance car.

“At the 2007 North American International Auto Show, Ford will unveil a four-door, rear-wheel-drive concept car. The concept, known as ‘The Interceptor,’ is based on the Mustang’s rear-wheel-drive architecture but it is not a Mustang and no production plans have been announced. Additional information on the Ford rear-drive concept will be available Dec. 31, 2006.”

AutoWeek stands by its sources who say Ford is developing various models from the sixth-generation Mustang platform, due in 2011. Those sources suggest a four-door Mustang would be a strong option, especially in the global marketplace. Other options include a four-door Lincoln with independent rear suspension and a twin-turbo V6, which is rumored for a debut at the Detroit show along with the Interceptor.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:28 PM   #24
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
as I've said before, Ford Sells Cars GM MAKES them

god, its rediculous how ford just doesnt realize that not everyone wants a car called "mustang" you could make it look like the camaro, maybe then you'd sell more units, cus we all know thats all you give a damn about is makin profit off an underpowered, overrated pos, so you can offer craploads of diff versions... "ooooh, get the 'pony package', its got a spoiler, its still a v-6, but look now ur different from everyone...except those others that are sucked in the same way." "ooh, look, now we're offering a supercharger so you can spend $7k more for this car and only get 400 hp at the flywheel, so what if the new camaro is going to have that N/A? its not coming out for another year, so you should get a mustang now before its too late"

damn I hate ford...

sorry, just venting. no offense to you mustang owners here, i know the Camaro isnt perfect either, but fords marketing plan has just pushed me over the edge and it sucks cus w still have to wait for the new camaro.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 08-19-2007, 11:56 PM   #25
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
In their, defense...and I'm running right into your sights, i realize...Ford is in Serious Trouble. it's not reported anymore, cause it's "old news", but as much as we might think Gm was in trouble, and is recovering...Ford is in deeper, and isn't recovering as fast...I should hope that they think about Profits (for a while).

Having said that, If I was a Ford follower, instead of a GM supporter...(see what I did there? ), I'd honor the Mustang as much as I could. cause it put Ford from the red, back into the yellow-green area...without the Mustang, I have strong feelings it would be a BIG 1.5 right now...

and look to happier places...spend the same 7k...maybe less, and you could get near 600hp easy at the Flywheel in the Camaro :eek:
Old 08-19-2007, 11:59 PM   #26
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Ford is in trouble. In all honesty, I hope they make a recovery. I like the Big American 3. We need some good competition.
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:11 AM   #27
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

without the Mustang, I have strong feelings it would be a BIG 1.5 right now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinMatt View Post
Ford is in trouble. In all honesty, I hope they make a recovery. I like the Big American 3. We need some good competition.

really its a .5 now cus all there is is the mustang and its not all that great.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 08-20-2007, 12:28 AM   #28
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Ford needs to bring over some of it's European and Australian lineup. Not the Fiesta or the Ka, but the Focus and Mondeo would sell well. I'm sure the Falcon is on its way, what with the G8 and Impala joining the Charger and 300C.
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote