Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
DDoug

Drives: '13 Inferno Orange ZL1 Convertible
All Wheel Drive?

I did a search, has there been any talk of AWD in the 6th Gen. The ATS has Awd.

It would likely only be available up to the SS version, but an AWD would have shocking 0-60 times on street tires.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
Z/284ever

Drives: A few Camaros
Nope. Don't hold your breath.
Z/284ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:27 PM   #3
DDoug

Nah, not holding my breath. I've been waiting 20 years for a quality, awd AMERICAN performance car. I'm tired of waiting and started looking at a GT-R to park next to the ZL1.

I never thought I would consider Japanese. I looked at the Z/28 too, but it looks like a pogo stick on MI roads ... even in summer.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:24 PM   #4
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
My guess is it will be available in the V6 or lower displacement models. It would make it a better coupe and provide a competitive advantage over Mustangs.

But don't look for it to provide better performance. GMs AWD in cars is the same as the FWD/AWD SUVs. Good for snow.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:41 PM   #5
DDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
My guess is it will be available in the V6 or lower displacement models. It would make it a better coupe and provide a competitive advantage over Mustangs.

But don't look for it to provide better performance. GMs AWD in cars is the same as the FWD/AWD SUVs. Good for snow.
It still improves performance, at least on low performance cars. I have a manual trans Compass with the FWD/AWD system. I cannot spin a tire on acceleration with 170 hp. It just ... goes. Any other FWD car I've owned would light up the passenger side tire. Less weight that side, driver only. It also works quite well in the 300C, Charger, and Grand Cherokee SRT8.

GC SRT8 weights 5331 lb without driver, 470 hp, does 0-60 in 4.6 s. And, basically, doesn't spin on a regular street surface.

The 1LE can turn 0-60 in 4.3 s, what could it do with launch control and AWD? Better, worse, more consistent? Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get to find out.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #6
RJZJR

Drives: in progress 3rd Gen BBC 4L80e fab 9
I'm with ya on the awd ... My thinking on that is if they can keep the weight down they could give it a go...awd Chevelle not to take away from the fwd version Malibu...3.6 or 4.3 twin turbo mid weight GTR competitor. Coupe or sedan 200 HP to the front 300 to the rear ..I think they could keep things reliable ..for the most part until the aftermarket gets ahold of it ...4.0 zero to sixty ..11's in the qtr..doesn't seem that impossible.. they build stripped down camaro and charge 75k for them there all sold . I think the most popular mid size car from the baby boomers era could do it. Its all about the beans...I'd buy that cup of coffee...even at Starbucks prices..
RJZJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #7
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
0-60 times are not really what anyone is after, they sound great on the internet, but nobody really cares about them in the real world.

AWD would be a terrible choice for the Camaro, it will slow it down on the top end, and make the car heavier. RWD is better for the track, unless of course you only want to drag race.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #8
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
wish i could even think about affording a GTR AND a ZL1.

ahhh..everyone has their issues
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #9
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
There will be a twin turbo 6 cylinder Camaro powering the rear wheels and electric motors powering the fronts. Tihihihi.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
DDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
wish i could even think about affording a GTR AND a ZL1.

ahhh..everyone has their issues
No wife, no kids, no bills, quality Union job, and I've saved/invested for 25 years.

Time to have some fun.

Bring on the mid-life crysis!
Old 01-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #11
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Awd would be awesome!
Old 01-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
It still improves performance, at least on low performance cars. I have a manual trans Compass with the FWD/AWD system. I cannot spin a tire on acceleration with 170 hp. It just ... goes. Any other FWD car I've owned would light up the passenger side tire. Less weight that side, driver only. It also works quite well in the 300C, Charger, and Grand Cherokee SRT8.

GC SRT8 weights 5331 lb without driver, 470 hp, does 0-60 in 4.6 s. And, basically, doesn't spin on a regular street surface.

The 1LE can turn 0-60 in 4.3 s, what could it do with launch control and AWD? Better, worse, more consistent? Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get to find out.
There is a reason that all the AWD ATS are sold in the snow belt. Yes, Audi Quattro improves launch and performance. All the ATS/CTS does is limit wheel spin. So yes on a crappybtire spinning launch you would see an improvement. On a good launch? You are just lugging around an extra 200 pounds.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #13
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
AWD is great, but I don't want it in this car. You do have to be careful with a RWD whether it's dry, raining, or just cold. I owned a 2005 GTO and have a 2013 Mustang GT and have had dicey moments with both (rain in GTO and cold in Mustang).. I also own a Subaru Legacy and used to have a turbo Legacy and AWD is just so stable. AWD is easily more predictable and "accident" proof. I do wish an American company made an AWD v8 sedan or coupe with a stick.. I'd have to get a used Audi to get that I believe.. No thanks.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:18 PM   #14
RobC
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvettes, G37x sedan, 383ci F-body
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
There is a reason that all the AWD ATS are sold in the snow belt. Yes, Audi Quattro improves launch and performance. All the ATS/CTS does is limit wheel spin. So yes on a crappybtire spinning launch you would see an improvement. On a good launch? You are just lugging around an extra 200 pounds.
It is absolutely pathetic that GM does not offer the OPTION of a performance AWD that improves launch and performance on all performance cars, especially Camaro and Cadillac "v" cars.
Traction is, and has always been, the main issue, especially in four season areas. My 1993 LT1 Camaro was traction limited, especially in the cold and wet.
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote