Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #57
aestil

Drives: White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
If you look at the chart, March was not a good March from a historical perspective. You are still going by the comment they made at your event where they had the best month since 1998 or something. March was not great considering there are 2015s available. In fact we had some confusion at work today when I was trying to convince a young man that the Camaro had the Mustang beat on performance and HP. He said, "NO". He was on the Chevy website. Guess what? The Chevy website has 4 boxes you can explore. Only one is the 2016 Camaro. The other 3? 2015s.

NO, a 2.0t will NOT increase sales significantly. It's not a $5,000 difference between it and a V6. It's $1,500. That is it. Not a long line of people holding out on this car to save a whopping 1500 bucks.

YES, convertible will make a difference. But not huge as Mustang sales will also go up with seasonal convertible sales.

1LE? Not a lot of people holding out there. It's an option that some will select.

ZL1? Yeah, get ready for a $65,000 seller of 4,000 per month to catch Mustang NOT.

GM has accepted lower volumes at higher prices for better profits. That, to me, now is becoming more clear.

Oh, and that young guy at work looking at Mustang and Challenger and Camaro? Yeah, was trying to convince him it was worth $5,000 more for a 1SS than the guy in the next cube who just bought a Mustang GT with Recaro Seats and Track Pack for $33,000.
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that a decent amount of fence sitters are doing so because of the 1LE.

The timing of the 1LE works out better for my budget, and i remeber the 1LE being the 'smart' option pick on the last generation, and it's looking like it will shape up that way for this generation as well.

a $43k 1LE would make me order one right away.
aestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:45 PM   #58
G-Mann

Drives: 2015 F22 M235i
I am very surprised a brand new camaro is not out selling the Mustang at this point. I am convinced now that the pricing structure is off.

It appears the target audience casual buyer does not want to pay for the extra value the camaro offers.

I do wonder how the conservative re-styling and not addressing the sight lines is playing a factor, prob minimal if pricing was on par with the Mustang.

I would rather have an ss but I have seen some GT's advertised for 29k making it a compelling story despite it being out performed.

The current sales trend does suggest GM needs to make some adjustments. Cut a few items from the packages they offer and allow more cherry picking of options. You would think that since some major components are shared, would allow for better competitive pricing.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:49 PM   #59
HuJass

Drives: GM
What are we, 4-5 months in from start of sales?
Where was the 5th gen at this same point?
Can someone look that up?

6-7K cars per month doesn't seem bad to me. Pretty much right about where the 5th gen was (IIRC).

The 1LE won't add many sales.
They only amounted to about 2-3K cars for each of 2013, 2014, & 2015.
2004 Colorado ZQ8
2002 Trans Am WS6 Collector Edition
1999 Blazer
1994 Grand Prix SE B4U
HuJass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:51 PM   #60
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuJass View Post
What are we, 4-5 months in from start of sales?
Where was the 5th gen at this same point?
Can someone look that up?

6-7K cars per month doesn't seem bad to me. Pretty much right about where the 5th gen was (IIRC).

The 1LE won't add many sales.
They only amounted to about 2-3K cars for each of 2013, 2014, & 2015.
March of 2010 sales was about 9000.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:52 PM   #61
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I only looked at March 2010...shouldn't have stopped there before I posted. You're right.

I agree with your conclusion, and so long as that's what's working for them: I'm, personally, fine with it. So long as this is a successful for Camaro to maintain it's existence in the future...then so be it. I'm not hung up on "outselling" the Mustang. It was nice last generation, but not necessary.

EDIT: And as for Mustang guy...he got a helluva deal, because that car (with no other options whatsoever) retails for $37,400. 1SS is about the same price, just doesn't have the Recaro seats....or any incentives. A point that brings us around full circle.
To be clear, the Mustang was through A-plan that actually I was able to get him through a close friend that works at Ford. But also to be even more clear, it only saved him an extra $400. Ford is discounting heavily on the Mustang.

Look as a soon (ok a few years out) to be retiree from GM I want GM to outsell Ford in every category, no questions, no rationalizing, just king of sales. But as I posted........http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ales/82509024/
Old 04-01-2016, 05:58 PM   #62
HuJass

Drives: GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
March of 2010 sales was about 9000.
Oy.
2004 Colorado ZQ8
2002 Trans Am WS6 Collector Edition
1999 Blazer
1994 Grand Prix SE B4U
HuJass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:04 PM   #63
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
To be clear, the Mustang was through A-plan that actually I was able to get him through a close friend that works at Ford. But also to be even more clear, it only saved him an extra $400. Ford is discounting heavily on the Mustang.

Look as a soon (ok a few years out) to be retiree from GM I want GM to outsell Ford in every category, no questions, no rationalizing, just king of sales. But as I posted........http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ales/82509024/
Certainly not arguing that point with you.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #64
suzook

Drives: camaro
Everyone went nuts on me last year when I mentioned the possibility of close to a $50k 2ss. Well if you want the best...engine, quality interior...you GOTTA pay up. If $5k is gonna break the budget, then get a great performing cheap a$$ interior mustang. Its a great car for the $, but paying more for my camaro was WELL worth it. Gm not selling a boatload, but enough. People really need to calm down.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:22 PM   #65
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
The mustang is selling well due the same pent up demand that we went thru with the arrival of the 5thgen, but its' new found sales is due to not having had a car at all like we went thru.This Mustang is a better looking car compared to the older model and it also looks more modern.

I have always seen a lot of the 5thgen Camaro's overall exterior details in the new Mustang which does not make it look like a Camaro but it makes the Mustang more distinguished in its' own way. It is more expressive than the old model which it needed to be.

Pricing is something that ford has used along with traditional fleet sales to push the metal also. GM is doing it with ATP but they know that once the lineup is fully represented at the dealership is when a truer picture can be shown on the sales race. Ford is presently leading in the sales race but GM is leading in the actual profit per sale race.

It would be great to lead both but I'll take stable profits and resale value over pushing metal with profit busting incentives that kill profits and fleet sales which hurt resale value when they return to the market. I feel good about where Camaro sales are at the moment and I'm not worried at all. Just the way I see it, my opinion.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:23 PM   #66
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
I don't know how the average buyer knows that a new generation Camaro is even available.

Everyone isn't a GM/Camaro enthusiast that lives and breathes on this site and searches out every bit of Camaro information that they can find.

Where are the commercials GM? Where are the advertisements? No one else in my family or at work even knew about the Gen 6 until they seen mine (and I live in the freaking motor city...).

No Transformer movie this time around to showcase the car....

I will say that here at Comerica Park (Home of the Detroit Tigers) that they just hoisted a new Camaro on a platform in center field, so at least that will get some attention.
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:24 PM   #67
Mr. Wyndham

Interesting factoid...GM sold 10,237 Alpha-based cars in March. 6879 of these were $27k - $48k Camaros...the rest were $33k - $84k Cadillacs.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #68

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
The only thing that makes Camaro sales look bad, is that Mustang sales numbers look so good. Camaro might be creeping up, but I'm sure they look at the larger Mustang number as what could have, should have been a Camaro sale.

I'd like to see the Camaro be the biggest seller. But, again, congrats to Mustang. I never see any Camaro ads on TV...a few Mustang ads, but a lot of Dodge ads. Dodge raves about the highest muscle car horsepower ever, then put up dollar numbers on what it costs for the least powerful model they offer...lol...

If the general public is unaware of the new Camaro, I would think they could care even less that it shares a platform with other GM models.

I just don't see what makes the Mustang so popular. I doubt too many really cross-shop. If it were simply a matter of cost, they could probably do better than what even a Mustang costs.

Oh well, we'll see what happens next month!
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:30 PM   #69
z28guy30

Drives: 2016 camaro 1ss
A lot of people don't know much about the new Camaro, but word is starting to get out with great magazine reviews. Expect a continuing upwards trend in sales next month. Some people just blindly buy a Mustang.
z28guy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:38 PM   #70
586mx

Drives: 69 camaro
I think the camaro is a little high in price compared to mustang and 5th gen camaro. I think what is really happen here is a combination of things. People are holding off buying for the following: 1) 2017 is 50th year and will be second year of 6th gen hopefully bugs worked out. 2) waiting for 1le's 3) waiting for zl1's/z28's. 4) I'm personally holding out to add Daytona delivery package to 50th anniversary ed.
586mx is offline   Reply With Quote