Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 09-23-2016, 06:20 AM   #71
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
I think the point, really, is to determine if the options on the market are legit and deliver any power gains at all. Most of us like the sound a CAI delivers and perhaps the feeling (real or imaginary) of any performance boost. I returned my Mishi CAI because the performance of my car actually suffered. I put the stock airbox back on and there was a really large performance difference. Now, maybe that would have been fixed with a tune but, I won't be doing a tune until I do headers and a catback exhaust. In the meantime, a CAI seemed logical for sound and maybe a small performance gain. If you actually lose performance though, what's the point? That's the point of this testing. It's not all about HP.
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:23 AM   #72
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
all I can say is my car is now traction limited in 2nd gear: MSD Intake, Mishmotto CAI, 6le front CAT deletes, and HP tuner w/wideband. M6 of course. No dyno, but the car was not traction challenged stock in 2nd gear! Of course 1st gear now at any speed is traction challenged by rolling onto the throttle. Nuff for me... till next summer when I'll do cam and ported heads.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:25 AM   #73
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedSS View Post
Ahhh...the CAI debate rages on, been beat to death on the Mustang, Corvette and Camaro forums.

Why is it always only about HP and dyno results...when did a better driving experience that a CAI provides become irrelevant? I encourage all the doubters to ignore the fact that any and all competitive racing circles dont use some sealed airbox with a restrictive filter and accordion style connector that impedes air flow. Ill always side with teams like Ford racing (what I grew up around) who do this for a living everyday of their lives and would highly advocate adding airflow enhancing components maxed out with proper tuning.

You want better performance with ANY of your aftermarket parts...then tune the car. If youre worried about warranties or longevity, then you shouldnt be swapping out anything.. right?

If all you care about is HP numbers, you can certainly Frankenstein up a wannabe ZL1 along with all the issues that come with it. Factual, unbiased info is hard to find in a forum aside from some great sponsor based testing and experiences.

My Inductions CAI and tune certainly made my SS a better, more responsive drive. You can keep your HP numbers that no 2 people can seem to duplicate anyways!
should be a sticky.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:50 AM   #74
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
all I can say is my car is now traction limited in 2nd gear: MSD Intake, Mishmotto CAI, 6le front CAT deletes, and HP tuner w/wideband. M6 of course. No dyno, but the car was not traction challenged stock in 2nd gear! Of course 1st gear now at any speed is traction challenged by rolling onto the throttle. Nuff for me... till next summer when I'll do cam and ported heads.
I think these two are to thank for your lack of traction in second gear.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #75
Fraxum

Quote:
Ahhh...the CAI debate rages on, been beat to death on the Mustang, Corvette and Camaro forums.

Why is it always only about HP and dyno results...when did a better driving experience that a CAI provides become irrelevant? I encourage all the doubters to ignore the fact that any and all competitive racing circles dont use some sealed airbox with a restrictive filter and accordion style connector that impedes air flow. Ill always side with teams like Ford racing (what I grew up around) who do this for a living everyday of their lives and would highly advocate adding airflow enhancing components maxed out with proper tuning.

You want better performance with ANY of your aftermarket parts...then tune the car. If youre worried about warranties or longevity, then you shouldnt be swapping out anything.. right?

If all you care about is HP numbers, you can certainly Frankenstein up a wannabe ZL1 along with all the issues that come with it. Factual, unbiased info is hard to find in a forum aside from some great sponsor based testing and experiences.

My Inductions CAI and tune certainly made my SS a better, more responsive drive. You can keep your HP numbers that no 2 people can seem to duplicate anyways!
Good points. And another one is getting rid of that horrible sound tube.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:18 PM   #76
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I think these two are to thank for your lack of traction in second gear.
If and when I get some time, I'll dyno my setup and then throw the stock box on and load back an optimized tune (a/f only) for that setup and see. Note I know nothing about timing or cam phasing at this point, but at least my car sees zero KR with 93 octane so far.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:50 PM   #77
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Why is it always only about HP and dyno results...
Pointing out the obvious here, but the 'cold air intakes' are advertised as giving more hp than stock. Since they are advertised as a performance improvement, people rightfully want the extra performance they are paying for. If they advertised ONLY that it makes more noise, then I might understand your confusion...
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:29 PM   #78
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
Pointing out the obvious here, but the 'cold air intakes' are advertised as giving more hp than stock. Since they are advertised as a performance improvement, people rightfully want the extra performance they are paying for. If they advertised ONLY that it makes more noise, then I might understand your confusion...
I do think a CAI might help a bit if you are doing more modding for power on the SS. I hope to prove that soon via JRE. I bought one and the car did seem more responsive.

The thing is though some people don't care so much about more power and still want a CAI from all the posts I read about the Chevy CAI twin. Having owned both the Rotofab and Cold Air Inductions CAIs, they are both quality products. I cannot speak to the others. I do like the sound and the look in the staging lanes of the Rotofab. More people stop to talk to me once they see the Rotofab. Can you put a price on new friends?
Old 09-23-2016, 08:14 PM   #79
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
Quote:

Glad you cleared that up.
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #80
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I do think a CAI might help a bit if you are doing more modding for power on the SS. I hope to prove that soon via JRE. I bought one and the car did seem more responsive.

The thing is though some people don't care so much about more power and still want a CAI from all the posts I read about the Chevy CAI twin. Having owned both the Rotofab and Cold Air Inductions CAIs, they are both quality products. I cannot speak to the others. I do like the sound and the look in the staging lanes of the Rotofab. More people stop to talk to me once they see the Rotofab. Can you put a price on new friends?
Thanks for your thoughts on our CAI. I have a very personal dededication to our company and products, so it always makes me smile to see reviews like yours.

Thanks again!
Michael
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #81
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Whatever happened to the link on this? I see the jump points on the first page but no link to the actual video. Was it taken down?
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:45 PM   #82
Camaro455ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS ... 2024 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
Well it has taken me 100x longer than I would have liked and the test ran into Summer time heat. But overall I was able to put the Cold Air Inductions, Mishimoto and Stock air box to the test.

The video is long, but here are some jump points if you just want the data, but i feel you should at least listen to some of the details I speak too before making your final decision here.

Jump Points:
0:00 - Intro
1:18 - Caveats for the testing
4:38 - 1st Stock Run Details
6:40 - 1st Stock Dyno Run
8:08 - Stock Run Numbers (AC on)
8:18 - Stock Run Recap
9:24 - Cold Air Inductions CAI Details
9:50 - Cold Air Inductions CAI Dyno Run
10:57 - Cold Air Inductions CAI Numbers
11:05 - Cold Air Inductions CAI Recap
11:38 - Mishimoto CAI Details
12:55 - Mishimoto CAI Dyno Run
13:45 - Mishimoto CAI Numbers and Recap
15:06 - 2nd Stock Details (NO AC)
16:29 - 2nd Stock Dyno Run (NO AC)
17:25 - 2nd Stock Numbers and Recap (NO AC)
18:27 - 2nd Cold Air Inductions CAI Details
22:36 - 2nd Cold Air Inductions CAI Dyno Run
23:59 - 2nd Cold Air Inductions CAI Numbers & Recap
26:19 - Next Steps Part #1 (Roto-Fab and AFE Power)
26:44 - More Caveats, Pondering and Discussion
28:02 - MAF Readings Stock vs. Cold Air Inductions vs. Mishimoto
29:39 - Other Product Considerations
31:31 - Final Words & More Caveats?
33:50 - What Product Would

Next up, testing the Roto-fab, AFE Power and GM CAI....
Where is the video?? :(
Camaro455ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:55 AM   #83
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Good stuff folks..
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:41 AM   #84
SK GT

Drives: 18 Colorado ZR2, 17 1LE(sold)
Has anyone done a before and after of just a drop in filter? It seems these stock air boxes were designed pretty well from the get go. I'd like to see if anything comes of a AFE drop in or similar.
SK GT is offline   Reply With Quote