Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-21-2016, 03:15 PM   #57
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
You rock!
Confirmed. Both types are incoming. I also secured a drop in filter
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #58
Bill's SS

Drives: 2016 2ss Black, A8, Nav, Sunroof
I ordered my CAI in July and was recently told it won't ship until the end of August. Now after watching this video I don't want it as it isn't worth installing for a small TQ gain and no HP.

This is pretty bad as CAI is claiming 11 HP and 27 tq.
Bill's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:34 AM   #59
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill's SS View Post
I ordered my CAI in July and was recently told it won't ship until the end of August. Now after watching this video I don't want it as it isn't worth installing for a small TQ gain and no HP.

This is pretty bad as CAI is claiming 11 HP and 27 tq.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dodge has just introduced a new Challenger T/A with the 392 motor. Two upgrades to this car over the standard Scatpack are a true CAI, and new axle-back performance exhaust. Guess what the HP is for these additional items, nada. Don't you think if these items really worked a manufacturer would already have them and be boasting about the increases.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:55 AM   #60
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dodge has just introduced a new Challenger T/A with the 392 motor. Two upgrades to this car over the standard Scatpack are a true CAI, and new axle-back performance exhaust. Guess what the HP is for these additional items, nada. Don't you think if these items really worked a manufacturer would already have them and be boasting about the increases.
Yes and no. Changing the horsepower rating would require new, full certification from the SAE. One of the reasons why you don't see small increases as much as you did in the past.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #61
stmbtwilli

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 2SS
I should have posted this, here on sledgehammers thread.
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464175

Last edited by stmbtwilli; 09-23-2016 at 09:17 AM.
stmbtwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:30 PM   #62
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
I hope you're right. My 5th gen saw great gains... this car seem well plumed with its stock tune.

Just find a vendor who purchases the products from Rot-Fab over being a middle man only who drop ships. Roto-Fab can't take the blame from the Government as they are not carb legal / certified.

I tried to order one through them direct and they told me no as well. Its BS... I hate California. Can't wait to move to Texas on day.
Texas is the best! Thanks for all these great videos! I'm looking forward to your rotofab review.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:50 PM   #63
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
Sledgehammer, thanks for your independent testing of the intakes and we are glad to see our intake included in the video! Keep in mind that power claims will differ from test to test due to the difference in testing conditions. Our Camaro SS was completely stock using 93 octane pump gas. There is little chance that the mods on Sledge’s car would have a wild effect on the numbers from the intake, but it isn’t something we can completely rule out. In theory, the combination of different parts (exhaust + throttle body) along with our intake could affect the final results when compared to only testing the intake by itself, it is at this point unknown whether that is indeed the case without doing a true apples-to-apples comparison.

The order of testing in Sledge’s video can also have an effect on the final numbers. It’s possible that the computer may have been adjusting both short term and long term fuel trims for the CAI intake if that was the intake that the car was using before the test was performed. With the vehicle’s computer in the middle of adjusting for this, it would not be an accurate representation of how our intake would truly perform. Usually, as Sledge mentioned in the video, you see the plots start to decrease as more and more runs are done on the car. Given time, it would learn and adjust, and quickly swapping parts on and off could cause the engine’s computer to not learn and adjust. With that being said, we have a high degree of confidence that our results are accurate for any stock Camaro SS running 93 octane fuel.

There are a few practices that we employ while we do our dyno testing. Our intake advertises max gains, which compares the stock intake vs. ours at the biggest gap in the dyno plot. Both max and peak gains are important to look at, but it must be noted that the video here analyzes the peak gains and both max and peak gains should be looked at for the entire plot. It didn’t look like the max gains were much different, but please keep max gains in mind when looking at any dyno data. As an example you might only have 3 wtq peak gain, but maybe 10wtq gains from 2000-5500 rpm which will make the car faster than just having 3 wtq for the last 500 rpms. We also always do multiple runs per test – at least 3-6 and take an average of the run, never taking the highest number run. We typically make one run, then wait 3 minutes in between runs to cool-off before making another run. In this particular test, we had 9 total dyno runs of our intake, and all of them reported higher than stock numbers. As a refresher, please take a look at our dyno plot below.

Also, for those interested, please take a look at our detailed development process here
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #64
RonAndersonJr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
Thank You for your support!!! We are shipping out the whistle eliminator part, by the end of August, to those that have registered their systems on our website and also emailed us at (support@coldairinductions.com) their serial number, name and ship address.

So when we register our CAI you will send us eliminator?
RonAndersonJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:38 PM   #65
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I figured these CAI's would be less then advertised since GM did such a good job on theirs. I love mine because of the sound and when I open the hood. So, its all good.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #66
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
Hey Sledge, just checking how your progress is going on this project.
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #67
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAndersonJr View Post
So when we register our CAI you will send us eliminator?
We are shipping the whistle eliminator part outs over the next couple of days Did you send us and email to support@coldairinductions.com with all of your ship address and the serial number?
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #68
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutusvk View Post
I do like the sound of the CAI inc too. will be even better with the whistle sound gone.
Thanks! We are shipping the whistle eliminator parts out this week!!!
Old 09-19-2016, 11:15 AM   #69
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
Love the Roto-Fab and CAI Customer Service on Camaro6! They truly listen to their fans and this is a good thing. :-)

PS - I love and hate California. I enjoy the weather (we need more rain though) and the excellent choices when it comes to dining out! I hate the over-crowding here in the Bay Area! I hate the constant gridlock traffic, the new-generation of selfish people I'm surrounded by, the mean-spirited unfriendly vibe you get and the lack of respect for people! It's all here in the good ol Bay Area where good people are leaving Cali, and the jerks stay and simply bring more of their jerky family members to over-crowd even more!

rant over.
Thanks for the props on our customer service!!! I know both companies are very active on the Camaro6 forum.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:06 AM   #70
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Ahhh...the CAI debate rages on, been beat to death on the Mustang, Corvette and Camaro forums.

Why is it always only about HP and dyno results...when did a better driving experience that a CAI provides become irrelevant? I encourage all the doubters to ignore the fact that any and all competitive racing circles dont use some sealed airbox with a restrictive filter and accordion style connector that impedes air flow. Ill always side with teams like Ford racing (what I grew up around) who do this for a living everyday of their lives and would highly advocate adding airflow enhancing components maxed out with proper tuning.

You want better performance with ANY of your aftermarket parts...then tune the car. If youre worried about warranties or longevity, then you shouldnt be swapping out anything.. right?

If all you care about is HP numbers, you can certainly Frankenstein up a wannabe ZL1 along with all the issues that come with it. Factual, unbiased info is hard to find in a forum aside from some great sponsor based testing and experiences.

My Inductions CAI and tune certainly made my SS a better, more responsive drive. You can keep your HP numbers that no 2 people can seem to duplicate anyways!

Last edited by DisturbedSS; 09-23-2016 at 02:18 AM.
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote