Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #15
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
So there are many of us who would have loved to see a 5th Gen Firebird, but with Pontiac dead, we could see it was highly unlikely.

Eliminating Pontiac was a move to reduce redundancy, which makes some sense. With the variety of Camaro models currently, it seems like all voids are filled, and there may be no place for it.

But what about luxury?

Sure, there is Cadillac...but they have a pretty solid plan, it seems, to take advantage of the new Alpha platform. Plus, back when there was a "sports car" type Cadillac, the XLR, it was based off the Corvette instead of the Camaro (which IMO makes sense even though, I hear, it wasn't very good).

That brings me to Buick, and the 6th generation Camaro.

I like where Buick is going...with the whole, "THAT's not a Buick!" marketing push.

So what about taking the Alpha platform, and creating a "sister" car to the Camaro, but under Buick this time? It could be all focused on comfort and luxury...but not to the level of Corvette/Cadillac...but a model with more luxury and sophisticated* design. While the Alpah platform could be used for sedans and coupes, I'm talking about sticking with the pony car coupe style.

So...for the sake of discussion....if this was an idea that could actually happen, and made some sense, what would you as like to see in a Buick "Camaro"?

What would it be called?

Buick GNX?

(*if I didn't love the Camaro design, I wouldn't own one, so don't read this as a criticism).

Maybe a Riviera?
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #16
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonaut View Post
A Buick GN on an alpha platform makes perfect sense for the newly rich young chinese..
This sounds logical.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #17
Kdogg

Drives: Hyundai genesis
Buick has no coupes,so bring the riviera back! It makes since! A convertible too while your at it!
Kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #18
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Convertible is probably on the way.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #19
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Thanks for the buick info guys , I had no ideal that it was so big back in China , That is a huge market and if China wants it then GM will be more than happy to supply them , But back in the good old USA not too many young people or even middle age people would even consider driving a Buick with all the choices they have, , Now if they did bring back the Rivera , I might consider that , those use to be some really nice looking cars back in the day
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #20
Autonaut

Drives: El camino
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
Thanks for the buick info guys , I had no ideal that it was so big back in China , That is a huge market and if China wants it then GM will be more than happy to supply them , But back in the good old USA not too many young people or even middle age people would even consider driving a Buick with all the choices they have, , Now if they did bring back the Rivera , I might consider that , those use to be some really nice looking cars back in the day
China is so big that GM, Ford and BMW, and many others, are focusing on China. Few have gotten their foot in the door yet. But GM came early, and is rather popular there.
Autonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #21
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
Again, the thinking at GM is that Buick USA must exist in order for the brand to be viable in China. I'm not sure how there could be any clearer statement of this mentality than Lutz's remark:

And we said "well we can't get rid of Buick because Buick is important in China, and if Buick becomes an orphan in the United States then the Chinese are no longer gonna be interested in it."

You're very welcome. I do my best to eradicate illiteracy.
And Bob is the guy who told us how great the Cobalt was.

I worked at GM a lot longer than the great Bob but hey don't even bother to check the facts, just rely on a single quote. The Chinese love Buicks because of the history. If it was only because it was American then Chevy and Ford would be doing great and Cadillac wouldn't be the 40th best selling brand. But don't check me just reprint that quote with more bold letters.

Annnnd you might want to check the definition of illiteracy. Has very little to do with spell check or whether you actually understood what I meant or was trying to communicate.

Last edited by Number 3; 12-14-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:26 AM   #22
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post

I heard that there was a Chinese Emperor that used to drive a Buick many years ago and that started the popularity for Buick in China that is still going on today.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #23
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
[QUOTE=Number 3;8113876]And Bob is the guy who told us how great the Cobalt was.

I worked at GM a lot longer than the great Bob but hey don't even bother to check the facts, just rely on a single quote.QUOTE]

I have zero love for Bob Lutz. Even the NAME brings back bad memories. IDNK if it is truly justified or no, but I correlate his tenure with the production of such pieces of shit as the HHR, SSR, a rebadged Holden Monaro, and econo cars. Meanwhile the F-body gets given the shaft(yes, I am aware there were many other contractual and safety factors at work here as well), and performance enthusiests are all but abandoned, unless you want a turbo'ed Cobalt or have the coin for a C6Z.
Glad to see him gone.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #24
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
I heard that there was a Chinese Emperor that used to drive a Buick many years ago and that started the popularity for Buick in China that is still going on today.
Thats kind of like owning a blackberry today
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #25
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
If its possible to look at the brand with unobjective eyes its not all that bad, except.....the freaking 1982 front grille! It...is...time...to...kill...the....grille. jmho
Old 12-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #26
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post

I have zero love for Bob Lutz. Even the NAME brings back bad memories. IDNK if it is truly justified or no, but I correlate his tenure with the production of such pieces of shit as the HHR, SSR, a rebadged Holden Monaro, and econo cars. Meanwhile the F-body gets given the shaft(yes, I am aware there were many other contractual and safety factors at work here as well), and performance enthusiests are all but abandoned, unless you want a turbo'ed Cobalt or have the coin for a C6Z.
Glad to see him gone.
Ironically enough when Bob Lutz was around there were a crapload more performance models at Chevrolet than there are now. Granted most of them weren't exactly worthy of the SS badge but they tried.

And those turbo-ed Cobalts were actually fairly decent performance-wise. They still have a following today.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:03 AM   #27
Autonaut

Drives: El camino
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Ironically enough when Bob Lutz was around there were a crapload more performance models at Chevrolet than there are now. Granted most of them weren't exactly worthy of the SS badge but they tried.

And those turbo-ed Cobalts were actually fairly decent performance-wise. They still have a following today.
The cobalt SS is a decent performer. It's one of the best purchases in it's class nowadays. Or so i read!
Autonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #28
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
GM def got "sticker happy" with the SS badge. It became kind of a joke during that era. Yes, there were many more (dubbed)"performance models", but the F-body was gone, and that was the only one that really mattered to me. So throwing "SS" badges on an SUV, a 1/2 ton extended cab pickup, and a sorta pickup(SSR) was just adding insult to injury.
The SRT4 was a decent performer, too. Doesnt mean I have any use or respect for them(No offense to any Cobalt fans. Just not my cup of tea.)

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.

Last edited by LesserO2Evils; 12-16-2014 at 10:40 AM.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote