Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-05-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
Factorypilot

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
ZL1 or (used) GTR?

Moving on from my ‘16 SS, but I’m torn between a 2018 ZL1 or a 2014-15 GTR. Have not had a chance to drive the ZL1, but I have had the chance to drive the GTR and wow.... what a beast. Any thoughts guys? Anyone out there that has owned a GTR and can provide some insights?

Thanks in advance.
Factorypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:06 PM   #2
SoCal Smith

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
What are your goals for the car?
SoCal Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
Factorypilot

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Smith View Post
What are your goals for the car?
Nothing special. Not going to the track or anything -- just an enthusiast of high performance cars is all. Neither with be a DD; I have a semi-beater for commuting. So this will be something that I'll hold on to for a little while.
Factorypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
FoCoCamaro

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE (Krypton Green)
I'm actually undergoing the same dilemma.

I've wanted a Godzilla for a while but the cost of modification is rediculous. The GTR tax is real as everything costs at minimum 2-3x (if not more) to modify.

The ZL1 is nice as it is fast and comes with a full warranty for most likely less money than a lightly used GTR. Sadly, to match the GTR's stock performance will cost a lot thus making it a wash.

First world problems......
FoCoCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Every time I see a GTR I’m in awe of its performance capabilities but the looks (subjective) fall short. The ZL1 looks great, the PDR option and warranty would be icing on the cake. Only possible downfall I can see to buying a ZL1 now is the 19 redesign.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #6
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
No question for me ZL1 all the way..
Old 01-05-2018, 05:01 PM   #7
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoCoCamaro View Post
Sadly, to match the GTR's stock performance will cost a lot thus making it a wash.
Other than the advantage from a dig the GT-R has thanks to AWD, the ZL1 is right there with it, and is a lot easier to live with day to day.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #8
SLO

Drives: Slo'ly
I was looking at the same including other vehicles....

Jeep Trackhawk - too hard to get a hold of and the damn mark up

Used GT-R - resale value is way too high around here for a used one. New was out of my price range. I think the used value will drop with another GT-R coming but too long of a wait for me. Every Asian that can get one....does. Mod prices, you already talked about that..... also brake job, no thanks on the price

Z06 - I don't want to deal with heating issues at the road course and only a 2 seater. I have 2 small kids....they can fit in the back of the ZL1 (for now).

Lexus RC-F - Good quality just not enough performance especially at Denver altitude

Hellcat - obvious straight line appeal, not much else including interior

Ended up with a ZL1 A10 - best option for all around performance, won't be the best at any one thing, but great all around performer. I actually really like the interior. It's humorous pulling up and watching people have the look when they see an Asian step out of one.
SLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:34 PM   #9
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
If you're going to modify, definitely go GTR IMO...So much more headroom with a TT based engine. The only short falling of the GTR is the somewhat weak transmission (For launching) and the turbos need to be upgraded if you want a lot of extra power.

The ZL1 is great too, not much you can take away from it. The GTR is quite ugly in my opinion, whereas the ZL1 screams American muscle.

It's a hard one, but I'd probably get the ZL1. If nothing else, the fact the GTR is made by Nissan is a killer for me, especially when comparing it to Chevy.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:32 PM   #10
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
If you're going to modify, definitely go GTR IMO...So much more headroom with a TT based engine. The only short falling of the GTR is the somewhat weak transmission (For launching) and the turbos need to be upgraded if you want a lot of extra power.

The ZL1 is great too, not much you can take away from it. The GTR is quite ugly in my opinion, whereas the ZL1 screams American muscle.

It's a hard one, but I'd probably get the ZL1. If nothing else, the fact the GTR is made by Nissan is a killer for me, especially when comparing it to Chevy.
Same thoughts.

The GTR was pretty good looking... a decade ago. Also with the new GT-R coming in the next few years, I have to believe you might be kicking yourself with an older used one vs a brand new, damn good looking ZL1.

I admit, I did give the same consideration as you. My primary concern was people buy a GT-R to beat the living piss out of it. Sure, ZL1 as well, but you will get yours new. There is no debate a used GT-R has been thrashed around and maintenance on that vs the ZL1 will be a bit more costly.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #11
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
if you want abadass car that drives you, GTR
If you want a badass car that you drive, ZL1

just my 2 cents
Old 01-05-2018, 06:52 PM   #12
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I realize the GTR is a beast, but having a new ZL1 for less money with a warranty is hard to beat.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:08 PM   #13
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Used GT-R? No thanks. You have an idea how it was driven...
New GT-R I could mess with. Nissan dealers are a bunch of... Nevermind.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:12 PM   #14
SoCal Smith

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
I wasn't in the exact same boat as you. But, I had my heart set on a 2018 M3 and on a whim I drove the 2018 ZL1.... I really enjoyed the ZL1 over the M3. The driving experience was amazing, the tech was leaps and bounds beyond the M3. That is why the ZL1 is in the garage!!

I really think it's all on the test drive.
SoCal Smith is offline   Reply With Quote