Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 12-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
The Knight Rider

Drives: Honda Accord v6 Touring
Only thing keeping me from 1le

I am looking to do a sports/muscle car this spring. I am seriously looking at the camaro ss. The 1le is really nice. I will really need blind spot detection and I cant get it on the 1ss. Not sure what to do. Are their reliable and high quality aftermarket bsms? I wish I could get it from chevy from the factory. I know that the 2ss 1le is available now, but it is too expensive for me. It looks to be more than 50k. I would get that if I could. Thanks
The Knight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
RatedR

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE Summit White
Have you driven a 1SS? Try that and adjust the mirrors properly. See what you think. I agree it would be nice to have standard, but I am getting by without it in my 1SS.
RatedR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
if blind spot monitoring is your biggest concern in a car, I think you're looking at the wrong type of cars...

If you're after performance, I say forget the blind spot monitoring and pick up the 1LE. You'll love it.
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
The Knight Rider

Drives: Honda Accord v6 Touring
Well, not hitting anyone or anything is one of my biggest concerns. I have driven a 2ss, and the mirrors were good and I was able to see pretty well. However, having blind spot monitors are a good insurance policy to have. This car has different visibility than other cars. It has actually better visibility in some situations but worse in others. I will be daily driving the car except in the winter. So safety is always very important.
The Knight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
I have been using these on my car, they're amazing The rear end of the car also looks very nice in this mirror
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:48 PM   #6
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
2018 1LE is available in 2SS.
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #7
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Knight Rider View Post
Well, not hitting anyone or anything is one of my biggest concerns. I have driven a 2ss, and the mirrors were good and I was able to see pretty well. However, having blind spot monitors are a good insurance policy to have. This car has different visibility than other cars. It has actually better visibility in some situations but worse in others. I will be daily driving the car except in the winter. So safety is always very important.
With mirrors properly adjusted, you shouldn't have any blindspots while driving...
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #8
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Like Bad Anvil Garage said, it's available for the 2SS now.

I can't get one yet because I can't hand wash my Camaro at the moment. I'm sure an automatic car wash would ruin that wrap.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #9
nate.the.great

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
With mirrors properly adjusted, you shouldn't have any blindspots while driving...
yup, i actually have blind spot mirrors installed to help see down the sides of my car when i'm backing up.
nate.the.great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #10
408Ram

Drives: '97 Ram SS/T, '04 Lightning,'17 1LE
If you use enough throttle, you don't need to worry about blind spots
408Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #11
MPHSS1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Originally it was a factor in my decision when I was considering a 2SS. It boils down to how well you pay attention to your surroundings i.e. situational awareness. In my driving environment I usually have a good idea of who is around me or who is creeping up on me. Stay out of other peoples blind spots and keep them out of yours. Accelerate to change lanes when possible. If driving in heavy traffic, that could be more of an issue but just avoid making excessive lane changes if possible. Anyway, not trying to tell you how to drive just supporting the fact that you'll love the 1SS 1LE, it has PLENTY of other benefits!!
MPHSS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #12
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:02 PM   #13
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
+1!
"Blind spot" is a myth that exists ONLY if side mirrors aren't adjusted properly. No secondary wide lense mirrors are necessary for that - regular side mirrors accomplish this when adjusted to right angles (away from the side of your car).

Once you figure it out (Google it, Car and Driver had a good article on "how to" a few yrs back - it is still on-line) you'll never have to rubber neck, or worry about not seeing what's beside your car.
An absolute must at a track!

NB Blind Spot sensors are not 100% infallible if a car behind you changes lanes fast and come up beside you very fast.
But with properly set mirrors you'll actually see them coming.

Once you adopt to new mirror settings and see what you can actually see (pun intended) you won't be able to to ever drive any car without setting the mirrors properly.

PS Why this technique isn't taught to all new/young drivers is beyond me.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #14
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Here's the link I had mentioned above:
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...id-blind-spots

Some tips (for those interested):

1) left side mirror should be pointing out so when in a seat you do NOT see the side of your car (don't worry it won't go anywhere )
When done properly, you need to lean your head close to the side window to see the side of your car.

2) right side mirror should also be adjusted out. To see the side of your own car you should have to move you head and torso to about the middle console.

3) the test that you have the angles right is as follows: get in a right lane and let cars pass you onm the left. You should see an approaching car fully in your rear view mirror. Then as it starts to pass ya you should see half of it in the rear view mirror and half in your left side mirror. Then, as the car reaches your rear quarter (aka "blind spot") you will now see him completely just in your left mirror. One he proceeds further, you'll still see him in the side mirror AND thru your peripheral vision even without moving your head. Left side works exactly the same, so get into a left lane and let folks pass you on the right.

IF the car starts to leave your rear view mirror and doesn't start to appear in your side mirror then change the latter angle more outwards.

IF it leaves the rear view mirror and then pops in whole in your side mirror: decrease the angle.

The idea (and test) is while a car is passing you (left or right) to be able to see half of it in your rear view mirror and half of it in your side mirror.

Once you test it, see how far you need to move your head left to see the side of your own car. Ditto right side. Now you have your "marks".

Also a good idea to "test" it each time just in case a mirror has moved. But with practice is becomes a second nature. I've adopted it after reading an article in a local paper and can't even fathom driving any other way. The only exception being hauling a trailer, as I like to see what IT is doing. Otherwise, seeing the side of your own car is completely pointless.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote