Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-04-2017, 04:56 PM   #1
Electron Mike

Drives: 2018 ZL1
2018 ZL1 track inpressions

here are my first track impressions coming from a former GT4 owner after running with PCA at COTA and WRL at COTA..

The good:
1. It's nice to be able to get a decent track alignment without buying aftermarket parts like with Porsche. -2.4 degrees up front and -1.8 out back were possible with all stock parts.

2. It didn't overheat in approximately 80 degree ambient temps. PDR data from below looks reasonable, will see how it does as I drive harder in higher temps.

3. PDR and the free cosworth software is very cool and easy to use. Tire temp and pressure history is helpful:

4. The engine has great power and torque and didn't go into limp mode like my C7 Z06. It pulled the same all day even when it got warmer. TBD when it is 100 degrees out, but it's a good start.

5. Stock brakes performed surprisingly well (stock Ferodo pads with SRF fluid). You can fade them if you go ballistic, but they perform well for stock brakes. Oh, and the pads are only $235 for the whole front axle!

6. It's fun to get such a big beast to dance a bit. It's no Porsche, but it might just make me a better driver since it's more challenging to keep it out of the wall. A GT4 is soooo much easier to drive quickly.

The bad:
1. Effing sway bar end links kept coming loose after two laps. I missed 6 sessions due to them coming loose and having to tighten them back. I think I found the correct combination of thread lock, lock washers, and torque to keep them steady, but then the LCA bolts started to back out too. They have an allen key which is a complete PIA. Engineer to engineer, I hate the guy who designed these! Argh!

2. I need a periscope or a nascar spotter to tell me where the track is. I can't see jack out of the car on track! I stuck my head out the window like a dog to try to look ahead..where in the GT4 you can see out the front and side window easily.

3. POS gauges/HUD/whole car went blank twice causing missed sessions. No rpm, no speedometer, no hud, no a/c, only headlights. Filling it up with gas and restarting several times cured it, but what a pain in the ass.. not to mention it doesn't inspire confidence. Argh!

4. She a big lady. The first pass at speed through the esses woke me up. Let's just say change of direction isn't on the same level as a GT4.

5. Needs more tire. Like 325 R7s on all corners. The Goodyears don't stick like Cup2 or RE71Rs.

6. Alignment is out after one track weekend. Bolts just aren't staying put... Hopefully it was just settling and breakin of the bushings.

7. Nannies are intrusive, even the PTM traction control. Turned it off, but you better be ready for oversteer and you better be awake! Porsche's systems are much more seamless in my opinion.

All told I really miss my GT4. I got the ZL1 to be able to take my son in the back seat, but I'm giving that up for the next car and will take him in the sedan. PDR vid driving 7/10ths with a loose sway bar. The car has much more in it if I can keep the suspension tightened and gain confidence the car will stay together!

https://youtu.be/9VuHnVPM58Y
Attached Images

Electron Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
nord lock washers and loctite are the key to the end links not loosening. I haven’t had a lower contol arm bolt loosen yet...front or rear? Nice write up...glad you are enjoying the car.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #3
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Normal ZL1 not a ZL1 1LE? Comparing a normal ZL1 (a GT road car) to a GT4 is not even in it same category. Recommend buying a ZL1 1LE and retesting and let us know the results.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #4
Xlr8ion

Drives: 2013 Cayenne GTS
Your complaints would be zero had you gotten the 1LE. I’ve tracked it 4 weekends and zero complaints or adjustments needed.I to traded a 2017 Zo6 peace of crap.This car will eat GT4 all day long even with the extra 350 pounds.
Xlr8ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:20 PM   #5
Xlr8ion

Drives: 2013 Cayenne GTS
GT3’s are actually more it’s appetite.
Xlr8ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:23 PM   #6
Electron Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
nord lock washers and loctite are the key to the end links not loosening. I haven’t had a lower contol arm bolt loosen yet...front or rear? Nice write up...glad you are enjoying the car.
Front control arms.. I had this happen on my Z06 as well and it resulted in a broken rotor, control arm, and wheel when it failed (thankfully just while parking in my garage).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
Normal ZL1 not a ZL1 1LE? Comparing a normal ZL1 (a GT road car) to a GT4 is not even in it same category. Recommend buying a ZL1 1LE and retesting and let us know the results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8ion View Post
Your complaints would be zero had you gotten the 1LE. I’ve tracked it 4 weekends and zero complaints or adjustments needed.I to traded a 2017 Zo6 peace of crap.This car will eat GT4 all day long even with the extra 350 pounds.
I actually owned a 2018 ZL1 1LE before my regular ZL1 and for my purposes the ride of that car was way too stiff for a dual street and track car, and that car in no way alleviates my criticism compared to the GT4. The Porsche GT cars have a much better ride/handling compromise for me compared to both ZL1's.

Lots of haters on here. LOL
Old 12-05-2017, 09:37 AM   #7
Tim202

2 people post "get a 1LE" = LOTS of haters. LOL
Tim202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #8
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron Mike View Post
Front control arms.. I had this happen on my Z06 as well and it resulted in a broken rotor, control arm, and wheel when it failed (thankfully just while parking in my garage).

I actually owned a 2018 ZL1 1LE before my regular ZL1 and for my purposes the ride of that car was way too stiff for a dual street and track car, and that car in no way alleviates my criticism compared to the GT4. The Porsche GT cars have a much better ride/handling compromise for me compared to both ZL1's.

Lots of haters on here. LOL
Post pics of all these cars! Quite the group of sick rides!
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #9
Electron Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim202 View Post
2 people post "get a 1LE" = LOTS of haters. LOL
Up to three now with your post in this thread! Many more on here jumping on folks that don't think the ZL1 1LE is the best car on the planet. Not sure why folks don't like all cool cars, but no car is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
Post pics of all these cars! Quite the group of sick rides!
Thanks.

I got a few inquiries questioning my ownership of said cars, and while I really don't care what people think I'll add some pics for those that might enjoy them. I have been fortunate to own and track some nice cars.

My review was an honest assessment of the car, not sure why folks get bent out of shape on criticism of cars. Owell!
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #10
Victoryred1le
Bupp Motorsports

Drives: 2017 Summit White ZL1 A10
Quote:
Up to three now with your post in this thread! Many more on here jumping on folks that don't think the ZL1 1LE is the best car on the planet. Not sure why folks don't like all cool cars, but no car is perfect.

Thanks.

I got a few inquiries questioning my ownership of said cars, and while I really don't care what people think I'll add some pics for those that might enjoy them. I have been fortunate to own and track some nice cars.

My review was an honest assessment of the car, not sure why folks get bent out of shape on criticism of cars. Owell!
Don't worry about people on here questioning your cars. The ZL1's are such a good everyday compromise that more and more high end car buyers are getting them. I traded in my 15' 991S for my ZL1..
Victoryred1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #11
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
That GT4 paint! Looks amazing, especially at COTA
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:46 PM   #12
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Thank you for the data, I need to Track-prep my new 18 ZL1 for COTA on 12/16 and I'd like to know which size lock washers I'll need to keep the end links in place.

Also, keep in mind, MOST people that post on here are bench racers / dyno racers / drag racers and don't know much about road racing. Road racing people are very humble because the bullshit stops on the track, everyones just trying to go fast and real is real.

If you're on FB, join SLIP ANGLE and FAST DRIVERS ATX.

I appreciate your write up, I was looking at a 718 S vs this 18 ZL1 but I needed back seats and a trunk. I think a set of 19" R-comps / 19" wheels and Carbotech pads, SS lines and some caster plates will get it done for me on this car for a while.

Again, would appreciate a quick write up of what you would have done for track prep with your car prior to COTA. I'll be going 6/10ths max as I'm only Yellow Group with Edge and this car is new to me, coming from an S2000.
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #13
Tim202

Quote:
Interesting, how do you get "hate" from my post?

Please let me know who thinks the ZL1 1LE is the best car on the planet. (No copout answers please)

Not sure why folks don't like all cool cars??? Really, maybe because "cool cars" is subjective.

BTW GT4 is would love to be able to afford to get one.
Tim202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #14
Electron Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoryred1le View Post
Don't worry about people on here questioning your cars. The ZL1's are such a good everyday compromise that more and more high end car buyers are getting them. I traded in my 15' 991S for my ZL1..
Nice! Hope you enjoy your ZL1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
That GT4 paint! Looks amazing, especially at COTA
Thanks, Guards red on a Porsche is one of my favorites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakudog View Post
Thank you for the data, I need to Track-prep my new 18 ZL1 for COTA on 12/16 and I'd like to know which size lock washers I'll need to keep the end links in place.

Also, keep in mind, MOST people that post on here are bench racers / dyno racers / drag racers and don't know much about road racing. Road racing people are very humble because the bullshit stops on the track, everyones just trying to go fast and real is real.

If you're on FB, join SLIP ANGLE and FAST DRIVERS ATX.

I appreciate your write up, I was looking at a 718 S vs this 18 ZL1 but I needed back seats and a trunk. I think a set of 19" R-comps / 19" wheels and Carbotech pads, SS lines and some caster plates will get it done for me on this car for a while.

Again, would appreciate a quick write up of what you would have done for track prep with your car prior to COTA. I'll be going 6/10ths max as I'm only Yellow Group with Edge and this car is new to me, coming from an S2000.
Edge Addicts are a great group, I'm jealous as I can't make that weekend!

I'm not sure which size washers I used, just had some laying around that fit plus blue loctite and as much torque as I could put on the end links. It's a pain since you have to hold the allen key while torquing it.. ugh

Other than that, just SRF brake fluid, oil change to 0w40, track alignment, and brake bed in is all I did. I would mark the suspension bolts too so you can see if they back out visually. Some were marked from the factory on my car. Have fun!