Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #1
Dmaxcc6spd

Drives: 71 Camaro SS - 17 Camaro SS1LE
Documentation on 1LE tires and the cold weather

Is there any documentation regarding the use of the Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 tires? I know many owners are using their 1LE as a DD so various temperatures are a reality. I haven't seen anything in the performance supplement and couldn't find anything on the Goodyear website. Is there some documentation regarding use in cold temperatures?

Things have gotten much cooler than expected this early in the year and I'm missing the 1LE fun!
14 Camaro RS (gone - totaled by 8&9 year olds)
17 Camaro 1LE HBM Ordered 02/21 Built 4/24, Delivered 5/4
Dmaxcc6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #2
Dmaxcc6spd

Drives: 71 Camaro SS - 17 Camaro SS1LE
So additional google searches turned up this information:

2 Value will vary based on driving style, track, temperature and weather conditions.
Please note: The tires on Camaro ZL1, Camaro V6 and Camaro V8 models equipped with the 1LE Performance Package are equipped with high-performance summeronly
tires. These tires have a special tread and compound that are optimized for maximum dry and wet road performance. This special tread and compound will have
decreased performance in cold climates, and on ice and snow. It is recommended that winter tires be installed on the vehicle if frequent driving at temperatures
below approximately 5° C (40° F) or on ice- or snow-covered roads is expected.

From https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...tion-guide.pdf

So according to this, the weekly drive to a local store shouldn't be a problem.
14 Camaro RS (gone - totaled by 8&9 year olds)
17 Camaro 1LE HBM Ordered 02/21 Built 4/24, Delivered 5/4
Dmaxcc6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
The_Coleman

Drives: 2017 NGM 1SS 1LE
The handful of days it has dipped below 50F here in Atlanta has been interesting to drive on. The trans seems to hate the cold soak and is unusually loud until you drive a bit. The tires though, are not great. I had trouble even getting the car started moving after backing down my driveway. Just enough throttle to keep it from stalling and it would still spin the tires a bit as it started out. You basically drive in 45F weather as you would if there was a nice wintery mix on the ground. If you are stop and go and turning a lot its not much fun, but if you can cruise for 5-10 miles the tires warm up a bit and do a lot better.
The_Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #4
nasbagoat

Drives: 17 SW 1LE
I just did a whole HPDE weekend were the temps never got above 40 lol
nasbagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:15 PM   #5
ClaunchOfficial

Drives: 2024 SS 1LE
Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced. This is on tirerack for the summer performance tires description on Goodyear, Michelin etc. Hope thst helps. Several threads about this on here.
ClaunchOfficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #6
rootus

Drives: 2018 HBM SS 1LE
In my anecdotal experience, they are fine down to mid 30's on dry pavement as long as you drive it like an appliance and don't expect anything too fun. In the rain, every degree below about 45F is noticeable in how the tires perform. Also, having experienced a mild 'emergency maneuver' situation at about 45F in the rain, I recommend being circumspect about driving too much on the Goodyears in that situation.

Luckily for me, my Continentals should be here this afternoon and then I can feel a little more comfortable with the oncoming winter temperatures.
rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #7
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
On a hill, 40 degrees-ish, and rain?

Lots of wheelspin with just gentle throttle, I felt like I was in a "pedal-match" in a Top Fueler!

These tires will feel solid to the touch at 40 degrees.

Why didn't Chevy ask, and Goodyear make, a winter set of tires in our sizes?
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:59 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I've found these cars warp our sense of what "normal" driving is...

If you drive normal for a Camaro - there's lots of wheelspin in the cold temps. But if you drive normal for any other commuter car? It is absolutely, positively fine.

Just today I had the ZL1 1LE out...it was damp, and 39º all day. I spun the tires a couple of times, but I reduced acceleration, used PTM wet mode (SS's could probably use "Snow & Ice")...and was able to do everything any other car on the road could do.

Just know your conditions. And restrain your Camaro-driving self.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #9
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxcc6spd View Post
Is there any documentation regarding the use of the Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 tires? I know many owners are using their 1LE as a DD so various temperatures are a reality. I haven't seen anything in the performance supplement and couldn't find anything on the Goodyear website. Is there some documentation regarding use in cold temperatures?
Page 38/39 of the 2018 High Performance Supplement talks specifically about the effects of cold temperatures on the tires. Pretty sure that it's in the 2017 Supplement as well. Should be right in Wheels and Tires section of the Vehicle Care chapter.

Nigel
2018 1SS 1LE on order
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:48 AM   #10
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
My concern is, if you drive it like a normal car in sub 40° weather and are cruising along at 60-70 mph like normal traffic, and something happens, you do not have the traction to stop or turn normally.
That annoying tire spin from the rock hard tires that was easy to control with your right foot is now a terrifying high speed slide that is at the mercy of physics and inertia, and you are now just along for the ride.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:02 AM   #11
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
My concern is, if you drive it like a normal car in sub 40° weather and are cruising along at 60-70 mph like normal traffic, and something happens, you do not have the traction to stop or turn normally.
That annoying tire spin from the rock hard tires that was easy to control with your right foot is now a terrifying high speed slide that is at the mercy of physics and inertia, and you are now just along for the ride.
Exactly! Not worth the risk. You don't even have to be going that fast.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:20 AM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
My experience has been the "safety limit" is about 35 or so...40 degrees the car start to get squirrelly, but I haven't felt unsafe (things HAVE happened) until 35. And for the record, I went out because I had to, not because I wanted to.

Plus, as you travel at higher speeds...after a few minutes, the tires begin to warm up...

But you're all right: the tires are not designed for sub-40 driving, and shouldn't be.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:49 AM   #13
thewurzernator

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE RAPID BLUE
#13-03-10-001E: Information on Tire Cold Weather Cracking - (Oct 25, 2016)
Subject: Information on Tire Cold Weather Cracking

Models: 2012-2017 Buick Regal GS
2014-2015 Cadillac CTS Vsport
2016-2017 Cadillac ATS-V, CTS-V
2012-2015 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, Z/28
2013-2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS with RPO 1LE
2014-2017 Chevrolet Corvette, Corvette Z06, Grand Sport
2014-2017 Chevrolet SS
2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE (RPO A1Y), Camaro ZL1
Attention: Advise customers of these vehicles that they are equipped with a high performance summer-only tire that will have reduced traction performance at temperatures below approximately 40°F (5°C). GM recommends installing winter tires if driving below these temperatures. Avoid driving, moving, or test-driving vehicles equipped with high performance summer-only tires below 20°F (−7°C), as operating at these temperatures can cause damage to the tires. This Bulletin also applies to any of the above models that may be Export vehicles.
This Bulletin has been revised to update the Models. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 13-03-10-001D.

Cold Weather Operation
The vehicles referenced above are all equipped with 3 season performance tires commonly referred to as “Summer Tires.”

The rubber used in these tires loses flexibility and may develop surface cracks (1) in the tire tread/shoulder area at colder temperatures. Refer to the photos below for examples.

Surface cracks are cosmetic and will not result in a loss of air, however special tread and compounds used on these performance tires will cause a decrease in performance in cold climates. Driving with high performance summer tires on snow, ice or cold road surfaces may cause loss of control.

Important: While the cracking will not result in air loss, it is damaging to the tire. Tires that have been used in cold climates and exhibit tread cracks should be discarded.

Tire Surface Cracks

Object ID: 3274901Click here for detailed picture of the image.

Object ID: 3701321Click here for detailed picture of the image.
2014-2015 Cadillac CTS Vsport

The 2014 and 2015 Cadillac CTS Vsport is equipped with 245/40R18 and 275/35R18 Pirelli P-Zero Nero (RPO RKK) ultra-high performance summer tires.

Please advise customers that this vehicle is equipped with an ultra-high performance summer tire that will have reduced traction performance at temperatures below approximately 5°C (40°F). GM recommends installing winter tires if driving below these temperatures.

Avoid driving, moving, or test-driving CTSs equipped with Pirelli P-Zero Nero (RPO RKK) tires below -7°C (20°F) as operating at these temperatures can cause damage to the tires.

Refer to the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 04-03-10-013: Driving Characteristics of Rear Wheel Drive Vehicles and Available Winter Tires for further information on available replacement winter tires for cold climate operation. Additionally, dealers in the United States may call the GM Tire Program at 877-728-4737 for help with late season tire availability or substitutions.

2012-2015 Camaro Models RPO (ZL1, 1LE or Z28), 2017 Camaro 1LE or ZL1

The Camaro ZL1 and RPO 1LE vehicles come with 285/35ZR20 and/or 305/35ZR20 Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 D.O.T. approved ultra high performance, track capable summer tires as standard equipment. The Camaro Z/28 is equipped with 305/30ZR19 Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R of similar capabilities.

All of these Camaro models tires are not intended to be driven on snow, ice or road surfaces below -7°C (20°F).

If the ambient temperature in your location is at or below -7°C (20°F), DO NOT MOVE THIS VEHICLE. Driving the vehicle, when the temperature is below -7°C (20°F), may result in surface cracks in the tread area of the tire.

Refer to the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 04-03-10-013: Driving Characteristics of Rear Wheel Drive Vehicles and Available Winter Tires for further information on available replacement winter tires for cold climate operation.

2014-2017 Corvette, Corvette Z06

The 2014−2017 Corvette is equipped with Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP Runflat tires or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP tires. These tires are ultra high performance, track capable summer tires.

This tire has reduced capability below 5°C (40°F) and it is recommended that suitable winter tires be fitted below this temperature.

Avoid driving, moving, or test-driving Corvettes equipped with Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP tires below -7°C (20°F) as operating at these temperatures can cause damage to the tires.

Refer to the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 04-03-10-013: Driving Characteristics of Rear Wheel Drive Vehicles and Available Winter Tires for further information on available replacement winter tires for cold climate operation.

2014-2017 Chevrolet SS

The 2014−2016 SS is equipped with Bridgestone ultra-high performance summer tires.

This tire has reduced capability below 5°C (40°F) and it is recommended that suitable winter tires be fitted below this temperature.

2012-2017 Buick Regal GS, 2016-2017 Cadillac ATS-V and CTS-V

The 2012-2017 Regal GS, 2016-2017 Cadillac ATS-V and CTS-V are equipped with ultra-high performance summer tires.

Tire Storage
It is recommended that Summer tires are stored indoors at temperatures above -7°C (20°F) when not in use. If the tires have been subjected to -7°C (20°F) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 5°C (40°F) for 24 hours or more before being installed or driving a vehicle on which they are installed. Inflate the tires only after they have been warmed above 5°C (40°F). Do not place tires near heaters or heating devices used to warm the room where the tires are stored. Do not apply heat or blow heated air directly on the tires. Always inspect tires before use after being stored.

Customer Information
Please share this information with the customer, including a copy of this message.
thewurzernator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #14
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
Posting this for information purposes:

Ordered 4 TRMotorsport black 18x9 wheels and 4 General GMax AS-05 275/40/18 All Season tires with TPMS from Tire Rack for $1750 shipped to my door ready to bolt on. I was assured they would fit by Bernie x4493; call him if you want more information, say "Sam sent you." I am putting them on this week.

Good looking wheel by itself but, of course, will look dorky in the huge 1LE wheel well. Good for the winter months.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote