Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #17445
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Seems like the Ford 7.0 rumors are gaining ground and that engine could wind up in the Raptor. If its true, I don't see how Ford can build a 7.0 V8 but GM can't.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:57 AM   #17446
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Seems like the Ford 7.0 rumors are gaining ground and that engine could wind up in the Raptor. If its true, I don't see how Ford can build a 7.0 V8 but GM can't.
If it's true....possible benefits of a DOHC setup.

If it's true....it would also be upsetting for just the last statement you said.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #17447
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
If it's true....possible benefits of a DOHC setup.

If it's true....it would also be upsetting for just the last statement you said.
I really wanted a 427. The GS/Z07 with a 427 would be perfect! I’d have paid another $10K for it.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #17448
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
If they build a 7.0L V8 for Raptor - I will be a buyer for that for sure! Here is a photo of my 2014 with 6.2L that I sold last year and really miss it. Just can't get interested in the new Ecoboost version!
Attached Images

Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:35 PM   #17449
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
2020 GT500 with a supercharged 5.2?
Old 11-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #17450
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Happy Thanksgiving to The House.

As always many thanks to those home and abroad away from their family an friends protecting us and keeping us safe and protecting our freedom.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:46 PM   #17451
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
+1 - Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:29 AM   #17452
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Apparently the Tesla Coupe is stealing some of the ZR1's thunder. It's just a little quicker and faster.:willy:

"Tesla didn't just have its highly anticipated semi-truck to reveal on Thursday. The electric car maker surprised everyone when one of the semis unloaded an all-new Tesla Roadster from its trailer. Tesla claims the sleek, targa-top two-door can accelerate from 0-60 mph in 1.9 seconds, go 0-100 mph in 4.2 second, and complete the quarter mile in 8.9 seconds, numbers that would make it the quickest production car in the world."
But, and it is a big BUT, the heat that iss produced running a lap on a road course is so intense, the Tesla cannot complete a lap at the Ring, not a single lap at speed. So much for supercar performance.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:46 AM   #17453
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
But, and it is a big BUT, the heat that iss produced running a lap on a road course is so intense, the Tesla cannot complete a lap at the Ring, not a single lap at speed. So much for supercar performance.

That's the difference between a performance car maker...and an appliance maker.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #17454
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The Ring? Hell, the Model S can't complete a full hot lap at VIR. Car & Driver brought one out last year for the Lightning Lap and it lasted all of 40 seconds before it cut power.

Wouldn't surprise me if the new Roadster can't actually achieve its claimed top speed. It should take at least 30 seconds, probably 45 or more, of constant acceleration for it to hit 250 mph. As tough as a road course is, there are still periods of partial or no throttle to help keep things cooler. And the Model S doesn't have as much juice as the new Roadster will have. Maybe they'll have a kickass thermal management system in place, but I doubt it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #17455
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The Ring? Hell, the Model S can't complete a full hot lap at VIR. Car & Driver brought one out last year for the Lightning Lap and it lasted all of 40 seconds before it cut power.

Wouldn't surprise me if the new Roadster can't actually achieve its claimed top speed. It should take at least 30 seconds, probably 45 or more, of constant acceleration for it to hit 250 mph. As tough as a road course is, there are still periods of partial or no throttle to help keep things cooler. And the Model S doesn't have as much juice as the new Roadster will have. Maybe they'll have a kickass thermal management system in place, but I doubt it.
BUT! In order to maximize efficiency, the car will regeneratively brake to recapture power during those no/part throttle moments...which will generate more heat.

It really isn't that hard to cool down an electric motor... The ICE generates far more heat, and manufacturers have got that down to a science.

My guess is they opted not to do it, because that would decrease the car's aerodynamic properties, and ultimately decrease range.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:53 PM   #17456
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
BUT! In order to maximize efficiency, the car will regeneratively brake to recapture power during those no/part throttle moments...which will generate more heat.

It really isn't that hard to cool down an electric motor... The ICE generates far more heat, and manufacturers have got that down to a science.

My guess is they opted not to do it, because that would decrease the car's aerodynamic properties, and ultimately decrease range.
. You're right, electric motors are (relatively) easy to cool. Give the casing some fins for extra surface area, some ventilation holes along with fan, and they're normally good to go indefinitely. And even when an electric motor gets a little hot, it still works fairly well.

Batteries, on the other hand, are not so easy to keep cool. For an electric car, just as much power flows through them (give or take) as the motors so there is lots of heat generated. And Li-ion batteries don't react very well to heat. Get them warm and they degrade. Get them hot, and they can explode.

Sure, the heat will be spread out in a battery but its a lot easier to cool a small hot thing than a big warm thing. Its not that its impossible to manage, but they'll actually have to put the time, money, and effort into getting it right. And, well, its Tesla. They're not exactly known for putting resources into getting things right ahead of time.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:00 PM   #17457
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
. You're right, electric motors are (relatively) easy to cool. Give the casing some fins for extra surface area, some ventilation holes along with fan, and they're normally good to go indefinitely. And even when an electric motor gets a little hot, it still works fairly well.

Batteries, on the other hand, are not so easy to keep cool. For an electric car, just as much power flows through them (give or take) as the motors so there is lots of heat generated. And Li-ion batteries don't react very well to heat. Get them warm and they degrade. Get them hot, and they can explode.

Sure, the heat will be spread out in a battery but its a lot easier to cool a small hot thing than a big warm thing. Its not that its impossible to manage, but they'll actually have to put the time, money, and effort into getting it right. And, well, its Tesla. They're not exactly known for putting resources into getting things right ahead of time.
Quoted for accuracy
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #17458
Mr. Wyndham

Was about to do the same thing.

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014