Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #15
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Been looking at Camaro SS pull off wheel sets.
Like to stay with factory rims as I don't want to mess with hub-centric rings or special lugnuts.
Guaranteed to fit perfect, but might cost me more.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:40 PM   #16
HYPER1LE

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE HBM
My winter solution

I installed my winter solution today.

Wheels: MRR M716 (ZL1 1LE-style) front: 19x10, rear 19x11
Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (standard, not run-flat); 285/35ZR19 (all 4). These tires and wheels maintain close match to overall diameter of stock setup. Although the tires are the same size at all 4 corners, which was my intent on the staggered width wheels, the are good for wheel widths from 9.5-11 inches wide. So, they can be rotated albeit with dismounting and remounting. I wanted to maintain the stock wheel width setup so as to have options in the future to switch things up with another tire application.

Special thanks to Paul of PK Auto Designs for getting this setup to me.
Attached Images

HYPER1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:08 PM   #17
Mr Bill

Drives: Camaro 1LE 2017
Looks great
Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:29 PM   #18
HYPER1LE

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE HBM
Thank you sir. I can tell you these Michelin's are not as grippy being all-season tires. Upon my return trip home from Day's Chevrolet, entering I-75 southbound from Glade Rd, my traction control light was going bizzerk up through 75 mph as I hammered on it...lol ��
HYPER1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:42 AM   #19
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
My experience has been the "safety limit" is about 35 or so...40 degrees the car start to get squirrelly, but I haven't felt unsafe (things HAVE happened) until 35. And for the record, I went out because I had to, not because I wanted to.

Plus, as you travel at higher speeds...after a few minutes, the tires begin to warm up...

But you're all right: the tires are not designed for sub-40 driving, and shouldn't be.
It's real fun at those temperatures. Just have to respect the power, and stay out of it. And know when you do get into the throttle, be ready to correct with some steering input. (Unless you drive a mustang, then apparently the rule is to just let it go out of control.)
Old 11-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
It's real fun at those temperatures. Just have to respect the power, and stay out of it. And know when you do get into the throttle, be ready to correct with some steering input. (Unless you drive a mustang, then apparently the rule is to just let it go out of control.)
Ahem...target a group of people to slow you down....
Old 11-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #21
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Ahem...target a group of people to slow you down....
The bigger the crowd the faster you stop.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #22
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
Installed my winter wheels and tires (pics later). Expected a code and TPMS warning --- nothing! Didn't reprogram yet but I expected the car to recognize that the original TPMS were gone. Nope.

Any recommendations as to a reprogrammer? I could live with checking my own pressures until March when the OEM tires and wheels go on but would buy one if the price was reasonable. Any suggestions?
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:25 PM   #23
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
Installed my winter wheels and tires (pics later). Expected a code and TPMS warning --- nothing! Didn't reprogram yet but I expected the car to recognize that the original TPMS were gone. Nope.

Any recommendations as to a reprogrammer? I could live with checking my own pressures until March when the OEM tires and wheels go on but would buy one if the price was reasonable. Any suggestions?
Where are the original wheels/tires located? They could be close enough for the car to still detect. Give it time, and the computer will realize they're gone!

I have something that looks like this - no idea which brand makes mine (it's buried in the basement). I should find it because I'm going to need it tomorrow!
https://www.amazon.com/VXDAS-EL-5044...eset+tool+2016
Old 11-18-2017, 09:28 PM   #24
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Coleman View Post
The handful of days it has dipped below 50F here in Atlanta has been interesting to drive on. The trans seems to hate the cold soak and is unusually loud until you drive a bit. The tires though, are not great. I had trouble even getting the car started moving after backing down my driveway. Just enough throttle to keep it from stalling and it would still spin the tires a bit as it started out. You basically drive in 45F weather as you would if there was a nice wintery mix on the ground. If you are stop and go and turning a lot its not much fun, but if you can cruise for 5-10 miles the tires warm up a bit and do a lot better.

Wow, i just dont see this on my GY Supercar gen3 tires. I daily drive my car all the time and when I get off work in the morning it has been 35° outside several times. I can get moving just fine, sure I cant go more than half throttle otherwise it will spin but the tires warm up in about 5 miles and are good to go then.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:35 PM   #25
rootus

Drives: 2018 HBM SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
It takes a few miles. Mine didn't pick up on the missing TPMS for about 10 miles. I already had the programmer but it takes a 9V battery which I forgot to buy and I don't keep those laying around. Once I got the battery, it was all of 30 seconds to reprogram. Hold down the Sel button on the tire pressure screen until the message pops up, then start with the front left tire and push the button until the car honks, and do the rest in clockwise order. Easy peasy.

Quote:
Any recommendations as to a reprogrammer?
The cheapest EL-50448 you can find on Amazon. They get rebranded under different names, but as long as it says EL-50448 you're good.

Here's a pic with my new winter wheels installed, along with some little joker who couldn't let me take a picture of the car without him jumping in front . Wheels are MRR 017 20x10 all around with Conti DWS06 285/30.
Attached Images

rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:47 AM   #26
JayhawkSS1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I noticed a difference in tire traction around 45/50 degrees. I went on some twisty roads when it was about 45 out one morning and I was sliding when I would normally be planted going faster than I was then. New rule for me, car stays in garage when below 40. Also I don’t drive when it is wet out, car has never seen rain...I don’t even know if my wipers work lol. Not my DD.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:57 AM   #27
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
Thank you for the replies Mr. W and Rootus.

I drove the car far, far away (5 miles distant and about twenty miles altogether) and restarted several times so, unless GM's TPMS is powered by nuclear fusion, I got far enough away for the computer to sense something might be missing.

Thanks for the heads up on what model number to buy for the reprogrammer, I will order today.

Cute kid. Lucky to have a car enthusiast for a dad.

TJay74, supposedly you are not supposed to let the GYs even have the weight of the car sitting on them if the temp is 20F degrees or they may crack. I'm in a townhouse and even in the Mid-Atlantic morning temps can get in the single digits so I didn't want to risk it.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #28
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
If I have the same GM OEM TMPS sensors and I install them in my winter wheels, do I still need the programmer? I was under the impression, reading the programmer literature, that this was an issue for the aftermarket "programmable" sensors that fit a wide range of vehicles?
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote