Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-13-2017, 05:29 AM   #15
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
I'll have to wait for now.. Let her sit in the garage, in the cold.

Not in stock..

They need to keep more in stock for us Frigid Snow Bound Folks..

https://zl1addons.com/products/mag-p...-with-mag-puck
Thays why I bought the HDPE plastic puck from Amazon. It in my other thead.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:31 AM   #16
Bow Tie Affair

Drives: 6th. Gen ZL1
Quote:
I'll have to wait for now.. Let her sit in the garage, in the cold.

Not in stock..

They need to keep more in stock for us Frigid Snow Bound Folks..

https://zl1addons.com/products/mag-p...-with-mag-puck

These are great for working on your car as well as dealer/mechanic shops having a way of lifting your car without damaging anything. Once lifting the entire side of the car at the second pinch weld behind the front tire, you have these to rest the car on the jack stands. Once these are installed you do not have to bother moving a lifting pad around the vehicle and possible forgetting it under the car.

This is my sale thread:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513188
Bow Tie Affair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:51 AM   #17
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Putting my car on jack stands is likely the scariest thing I ever have to do. Twice I've had it shift in a way that it flips off that ZL1 addon Pinch weld adapter and all the weight of the car collapses on the painted rocker panel. CRUNCH!> Ahhhhh!

It's 100% my fault because I have an old 2 ton floor jack and the round plate it uses is recessed too deep, so when I roll it under the car and set the ZL1 adapter in there, the sides of the floor jack adapter plate want to make contact with the rocker panel.
I bought a hockey puck and it still isn't quite enough so I used a piece of 2/4 and thought that would work until it exploded into a bunch of pieces one time and dropped the car right onto the rocker panel. The next time It did it I was using a scrap piece of steel and while jacking the car up it rolled over some how... Same thing. . Aghh!.

So yeah time to buy a low profile floor jack so this doesn't happen again.

I was lucky the paint is so flexible on the lower rocker. It broke the retaining clip but no paint damage.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:21 AM   #18
MJP

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Putting my car on jack stands is likely the scariest thing I ever have to do. Twice I've had it shift in a way that it flips off that ZL1 addon Pinch weld adapter and all the weight of the car collapses on the painted rocker panel. CRUNCH!> Ahhhhh!

It's 100% my fault because I have an old 2 ton floor jack and the round plate it uses is recessed too deep, so when I roll it under the car and set the ZL1 adapter in there, the sides of the floor jack adapter plate want to make contact with the rocker panel.
I bought a hockey puck and it still isn't quite enough so I used a piece of 2/4 and thought that would work until it exploded into a bunch of pieces one time and dropped the car right onto the rocker panel. The next time It did it I was using a scrap piece of steel and while jacking the car up it rolled over some how... Same thing. . Aghh!.

So yeah time to buy a low profile floor jack so this doesn't happen again.

I was lucky the paint is so flexible on the lower rocker. It broke the retaining clip but no paint damage.
Damn,, I'm thinking maybe I should just leave her alone.
Leave her alone in the garage at below zero temperatures for four months.
Maybe it's better too just go out in the spring and pay $1500.00 for new rubber.
MJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:35 AM   #19
histobeast

Drives: '18 SS 1LE SW
I thought it was bad for the suspension to leave the car jacked up. Can't you just pump the tires to Max inflation and put a couple pieces of old carpet on each tire? Maybe wrap the tire in something to help keep it warm?
histobeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #20
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Not telling you what to do or nothing but all I do is fill the gas up to max. Take the insurance off of it.. Park it in the garage. And Walk away.

4 years. 2 harsh winters. No cracks. Garage got below 20 degrees all the time. (Don't move the car until the tires come up to temperature for 24hrs.)

From what I have been told the damage done by leaving your car on jackstands for a long period of time is worst thing you can do to your suspension.

Just my experience from what i've been told.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:33 PM   #21
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
What is the situation with a Gen6 convertible? Aren't some of the pinch weld lift points covered by support bars? If so, where do you put jack stands? I recall seeing one thread suggesting the stands go up against those bars where they cover the pinch welds. Is that right?
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:19 AM   #22
MJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Not telling you what to do or nothing but all I do is fill the gas up to max. Take the insurance off of it.. Park it in the garage. And Walk away.

4 years. 2 harsh winters. No cracks. Garage got below 20 degrees all the time. (Don't move the car until the tires come up to temperature for 24hrs.)

From what I have been told the damage done by leaving your car on jackstands for a long period of time is worst thing you can do to your suspension.

Just my experience from what i've been told.
Thank you,
Maybe the crap recommended from Goodyear and the other manufactures is just that.. BS.
They want you to tuck the tires away so they don't have to deal with any warranty BS from riding around in sub zero temperatures.
Pull them in October, put them back on come April.
I phoned Goodyear. I was told to take them off. Put them in the warm house.
This guy added to the Madness.
He said to keep them away from any electrical field during storage.
Yes,,,, If I stored them around my Electrical Service box, Furnace, Electrical motors it would be just as bad as being out in the freezing cold or worse.
Electrical Fields?
Seriously?
Old 11-15-2017, 05:29 AM   #23
MJP

BTW,, Have any of you folks ever dealt with Warranty from a Tire Manufacturer?
My 2012 Grand Sport Corvette ate her tires at the 9K mark.
No burnouts, just driving about.
I went to four large Goodyear tire outlets to put in a claim. I was treated like Shit.
One guy at the counter?
I came so close to punching him in the face.
He walks outside and looks at the tires.. Oh, what have you been doing? What? I've been driving my car from point A to point B.
The front tires have the belts coming through.. The rears could possibly pass inspection.
All four Goodyear dealers tried to chase me out of the place. They didn't want anything to do with me regarding Warranty.
I live in a small town of 2500. Riding down my main road I had noticed a small repair garage.
This guy has Goodyear tire sale flags waving all over the place.
For the hell of it, I stopped in.
Great Guy.
He loved the Vette. We went back and forth about my tires dead at 9K miles.
He offered.. He said let's do it. I've never put in a Warranty Claim with Goodyear.
let's run these tires through.
Goodyear faxed him a form too fill out. They requested photos, Measurement of tread dept and mileage.
He complied.
Goodyear later sent notice that they were shipping out four brand new tires.
Awesome!
All is good.
The tires arrived.
He phoned and asked when I would like to come down to swap out the tires.
Before I could even reply, he phoned back.
Sorry, My wife just noticed something.
Goodyear is asking that we immediately "PAY" for all four tires in full.
They want us to pay thousands of dollars for the tires.
After you ship your infected tires back on your dime, we will decide how much you are "entitled" too.
I can't blame the guy for telling them to **** Off.
They asked for photos, depth and all the other BS.
He complied...
Later,,,, Goodyear grabbed him by the balls.

Goodyear holds their dealers responsible.. They write themselves off.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:42 AM   #24
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I've never been a fan of Goodyear tires.
Only time I ever intentionally bought a Goodyear tire is to replace a damaged one that came on a car equipped with the Goodyears, once worn out, they get upgraded to anything else.

And electrical fields produce ozone which is bad for rubber.

So do all dealers remove the tires off their cars on the lot and store them in the showroom all winter?
Yeah, I didn't think so.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #25
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Thank you,
Maybe the crap recommended from Goodyear and the other manufactures is just that.. BS.
They want you to tuck the tires away so they don't have to deal with any warranty BS from riding around in sub zero temperatures.
Pull them in October, put them back on come April.
I phoned Goodyear. I was told to take them off. Put them in the warm house.
This guy added to the Madness.
He said to keep them away from any electrical field during storage.
Yes,,,, If I stored them around my Electrical Service box, Furnace, Electrical motors it would be just as bad as being out in the freezing cold or worse.
Electrical Fields?
Seriously?
I can just speak from experience that I have had with the Goodyear Supercar tires. Depending on the quality control at Goodyear, your tires might be a little easier to crack. Maybe I got lucky and got a good set. Common sense tells me if I don't move the car when it's below freezing, then I shouldn't have any cracks. Which was a gamble when I first got the car, Could still be a gamble today, I'm not an expert. I know my garage gets to darn near 10 degrees at times when it's really cold out. But I have had zero issues with the tires. Just be damn sure that you have given the tires an opportunity to warm up on their own before you break it out next year. I know one thing for sure, knowing what I know now, I'm not going to be removing my tires and putting my car on jackstands this winter. I'll continue with the gamble.

Everybody told me my car wouldn't start after each winter too if I didn't put it on a tender. So far proving that wrong to. Battery will be coming up on 5 years old, i'm really curious if it will start next year. Place your bets!
Old 11-15-2017, 10:37 PM   #26
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
BTW,, Have any of you folks ever dealt with Warranty from a Tire Manufacturer?
My 2012 Grand Sport Corvette ate her tires at the 9K mark.
No burnouts, just driving about.
I went to four large Goodyear tire outlets to put in a claim. I was treated like Shit.
One guy at the counter?
I came so close to punching him in the face.
He walks outside and looks at the tires.. Oh, what have you been doing? What? I've been driving my car from point A to point B.
The front tires have the belts coming through.. The rears could possibly pass inspection.
All four Goodyear dealers tried to chase me out of the place. They didn't want anything to do with me regarding Warranty.
I live in a small town of 2500. Riding down my main road I had noticed a small repair garage.
This guy has Goodyear tire sale flags waving all over the place.
For the hell of it, I stopped in.
Great Guy.
He loved the Vette. We went back and forth about my tires dead at 9K miles.
He offered.. He said let's do it. I've never put in a Warranty Claim with Goodyear.
let's run these tires through.
Goodyear faxed him a form too fill out. They requested photos, Measurement of tread dept and mileage.
He complied.
Goodyear later sent notice that they were shipping out four brand new tires.
Awesome!
All is good.
The tires arrived.
He phoned and asked when I would like to come down to swap out the tires.
Before I could even reply, he phoned back.
Sorry, My wife just noticed something.
Goodyear is asking that we immediately "PAY" for all four tires in full.
They want us to pay thousands of dollars for the tires.
After you ship your infected tires back on your dime, we will decide how much you are "entitled" too.
I can't blame the guy for telling them to **** Off.
They asked for photos, depth and all the other BS.
He complied...
Later,,,, Goodyear grabbed him by the balls.

Goodyear holds their dealers responsible.. They write themselves off.
Sounds like you need help from a lawyer. Most of the stuff a lawyer could do you can do easily yourself so I'd advise you to take them small claims court, but not everyone understands how to document and serve notice to others nor do they always have the time/want to follow through. Some basic advise is you need written statements signed by yourself and anyone you can convince to help you, detailing the steps you took and interactions you had. You need to send Goodyear official notice (which means a certified registered mail letter and an unregistered copy) that you are not paying for the tires that were sent as a result of a warranty claim and that they have ten business days to respond to your letter., include their notice in the letter where they said they were shipping out the new tires. I'm getting a $1300 instrument cluster replaced right now because the glass-repair shop scratched it when replacing my windshield. I haven't had to resort to these steps, but I've documented everything and I have a "case" ready. I'd cream them in court, if it came to that (they already ordered the part, so it's not coming to that). I'm not a lawyer, but I work with them in my job and I put together cases. In these cases, you usually know whether you are right or wrong, however, you gotta be careful, this could end up in the shop's lap, maybe that agreed to something that you did not and GY is totally in the clear. If you have this documentation, you should be good though.

Usually, when a business gets a whiff that you are protecting yourself and carefully documenting everything, they shape up real quick. The few that don't are the ones that get embarrassed in court.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:14 PM   #27
Yendor

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE Hyper Blue
You plan on storing your car with wheels off all winter? Full droop on a suspension for long periods of time is not good for it. The car is designed to have weight on the suspension, full extension is not what it is intended to see most of the time.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:45 AM   #28
MJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
You plan on storing your car with wheels off all winter? Full droop on a suspension for long periods of time is not good for it. The car is designed to have weight on the suspension, full extension is not what it is intended to see most of the time.
I've decided to just leave her sitting in the cold garage.
I'm not going to play with lifting her all about setting on Jack stands.
Especially when lifting from side to side looks pretty ****ed up too me.
What scares me the most?
Two winters ago we had an extreme cold snap.
Several days straight of -15 -20 below.
The walls in my house were talking too me at night.
Creepy.
Seriously, I could hear the lumber crying. " Creaking and making noises"
My house is under ten years old.
During this one cold spell, I heard a ****ing bang. BANG! It was as loud as shooting one of my guns.
I go outside in the morning and one of the 4"x4" post holding up my deck cracked, blew apart and exploded from the cold.
It was loud when she snapped. It knocked me right out of bed.