Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-09-2017, 10:07 AM   #29
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneCynic View Post
The performance models have the white steering column. My 2015 1LE has it, and it is indeed one way to tell a 1LE car from a regular SS car when inspecting one.
Definitely. If people wanted to make a fake, i could bet that they would have no idea to change or paint the steering column.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:48 PM   #30
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Sorry to bring this up again, although I find it interesting that people ask if they have a 1LE more often now than I have seen in the past because of the used car market. No need to flip the carpet open the hood and check the steering column although that could be faked...

One thing when I was at a local Camaro show I looked at a couple of 5th Gen ZL1's and did not see a white steering column. Matter of fact I checked three and all had black steering shafts. I am not saying the 1LE is special because of color I just find it annoying not knowing why.

Is there a way to pose the question to GM. I am interested....
Old 05-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #31
Vjc834

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
Mine is white.
Vjc834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:36 AM   #32
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Lol, that was one of the first things I looked for to see if it was a true 2015 LE1. The fastest way was to get a picture of the option codes from the trunk (drivers side) andstart matching up the codes to what was on th car.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:57 AM   #33
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir0nM4n View Post
Sorry to bring this up again, although I find it interesting that people ask if they have a 1LE more often now than I have seen in the past because of the used car market. No need to flip the carpet open the hood and check the steering column although that could be faked...

One thing when I was at a local Camaro show I looked at a couple of 5th Gen ZL1's and did not see a white steering column. Matter of fact I checked three and all had black steering shafts. I am not saying the 1LE is special because of color I just find it annoying not knowing why.

This kind of stuff drove me crazy. As I got older, I just let the curiosity go. The people that may know what the deal was, don’t care (factory worker or sick of working on Camaros )

It could have been due to a new supplier, a bunch of scratched parts they save and refinished at one time or maybe even a test run from a change in process like painting or assembly. The folks that do know also can’t disclose any of that information otherwise they’ll get fired. Some things will forever remain a mystery. But in retrospect we may be reading too much into the piece rather than just looking at the whole.

The thing to watch out for are the documentaries that will hopefully come out later on the 1le or zl1.

Btw beautiful Camaro I drove a zl1 that looked just like your car.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #34
JackLS1R1

Drives: 10 SS A6 Huron TT
Has anyone found out what is different with the white steering shaft?
JackLS1R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #35
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
White steering column was a feature of 1LE's only. You won't see it on ZL1s or non-1LE SS cars.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:35 PM   #36
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Every Z/28 I've seen has had a white steering shaft.

Every 14 and 15 ZL1 (don't recall on any 2012/13's), I've seen had a white steering shaft.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #37
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir0nM4n View Post

Is there any way you can check with GM,may be the white ones were made on Friday!
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:45 PM   #38
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
I have a 13 2ss 1le and my shaft is white.
That doesn't read right.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:52 PM   #39
2SSRick

Drives: 2015 camaro 1le 2ss
MY 14 1LE has a white one
2SSRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:28 PM   #40
CHRISCAM

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
I have a 13 2ss 1le and my shaft is white.
That doesn't read right.
Lol. I was going to say the same thing. Why all the talk about the color of our shafts?

Seriously, my 2013 1LE has a white shaft. My understanding is that ALL 1LEs (and apparently ZL1s and Z28s) had them. If I had to hazard a semi-educated guess, I would say it has to do with those models having a special-ratio steering that maybe had a different connection size to the steering box.

I never worked on a car assembly line, but I would imagine that details like that are cues for assembly line workers to quickly and easily identify when a special edition model is coming down the line and to select correct components for installation.
CHRISCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:38 PM   #41
CHRISCAM

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2SS/1LE
Just to add to my previous post--

As far as the issue of seeing both black and white steering shafts on these cars, it may be that the ones that have the black shaft aren't "real" 1LEs. There are a lot of add-on imposters out there. Dealers apparently also made a black-hood and wheels package in some regions that mimicked a 1LE.

As has been mentioned, pull back the trunk mat and look at the silver RPO sticker on the left side of the trunk floor. The "1LE" code should appear toward the bottom of the codes listing.
CHRISCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:39 AM   #42
AmerigoC

Drives: Honda
I've noticed that my clutch has a fair amount of chatter when engaging it from a stop in 1st. It's especially noticeable when I'm slipping the clutch to inch into the garage etc. the only way to prevent it is to use a more aggressive clutch release when starting from a stop. The only other car I've have any chatter like this was a WRX that had transmission mounts that were worn. Seems to me like the transmission mounts are loose/have play in them allowing the whole transmission to bounce around and chatter under partial clutch engagement. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their 1LE's, or could it be an issue just with my car