Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 10-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #29
ClaunchOfficial

Drives: 2024 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
I just took a real good look at the tires. Magnifying glass and all.
It appears that you're correct. I guess it through me off because a few of those ribs aren't straight at all.
It got me scared.
So,,,After making me look like a Tard and causing me too get drunk today, you can go pat yourself on the back and finish your 🍿
It's all good man. Glad you don't have any issues, with your tires
ClaunchOfficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:05 PM   #30
WILWAXU

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 1LE
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
You guys missed that guy's sarcasm. He claims to have seen the OPs pics and that the OP was calling the molding line a crack, hence the picture he posted as sarcasm.

Edit: and the OP now agrees that his cracks were really just mold lines.
Didn't miss anything.. just backing up what others have posted
WILWAXU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:42 PM   #31
rootus

Drives: 2018 HBM SS 1LE
You guys made me go look at my tires when I left work today. No cracks, just mold lines.
rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:32 PM   #32
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
What about those cracks in the goodyear service bulletin, those are definitely cracks. I too just thought they weren't recommended for cold weather due to slippage. Didn't know that you're supposed to store them in temps above 20. My garage gets pretty cold in the winter (not climate controlled).

I love 40 degree weather; to me, that's nice out since Summers can be super hot here. I just figured I would take it slow and safe until the tires warm up. I usually drive my cars on nice sunny days regardless of temps until the first salt goes on the roads. Now I have to park it when it drops to the 40's? That happens this week. :-/

Doesn't mean I'm going to take the car back though... lol I'll just get different tires if they crack.

Plenty of tires to choose from including Continental Extreme Contact Sport, Pirelli P-Zero, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, Pilot Supersport, Pilot Sport Cup 2, etc... Good reviews on the Continentals.

Last edited by Cgocifer; 10-25-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:20 AM   #33
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I might be picking one up in Jan or Feb, this should be interesting.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:54 AM   #34
ClaunchOfficial

Drives: 2024 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
What about those cracks in the goodyear service bulletin, those are definitely cracks. I too just thought they weren't recommended for cold weather due to slippage. Didn't know that you're supposed to store them in temps above 20. My garage gets pretty cold in the winter (not climate controlled).

I love 40 degree weather; to me, that's nice out since Summers can be super hot here. I just figured I would take it slow and safe until the tires warm up. I usually drive my cars on nice sunny days regardless of temps until the first salt goes on the roads. Now I have to park it when it drops to the 40's? That happens this week. :-/

Doesn't mean I'm going to take the car back though... lol I'll just get different tires if they crack.

Plenty of tires to choose from including Continental Extreme Contact Sport, Pirelli P-Zero, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, Pilot Supersport, Pilot Sport Cup 2, etc... Good reviews on the Continentals.
EVERY SUMMER ONLY HIGH PERFORMANCE TIRE Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced. This is in the description on Michehlin Pilot , Goodyear, Continental and or any performance summer tire.Also Warning: Pilot Sport Cup 2 radials meet DOT requirements, however they are not recommended for driving in wet conditions where standing water is present and there is the risk of hydroplaning; drivers should drive cautiously at reduced speeds if they encounter these conditions. This is especially true of shaved or worn tires. And like other Streetable Track & Competition tires, these tires are not intended to be stored, serviced nor driven in near- or below freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice
ClaunchOfficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #35
Cgocifer

Ok, so the proper thing to do is to put the car up on stands, remove the wheels, and store them in the house. Nice, wife is going to love this!

:-/
Old 10-26-2017, 10:23 AM   #36
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
(( False Alarm --- Just walk away from this thread.... Tires are not cracked ))
After cleaning the tires and looking closely with a flashlight there aren't any cracks.
I f-cked up.

Not many talking about this.
(Summer only tires).
At just over 100 miles, my tires are all cracked, the car is riding like Shit.
I am a member of the Corvette Forum, I have a 12 Grand Sport Vette.
Folks over in that forum are going silly with cracked summer tires.
This is really stupid.
I'm ready to do everything it takes to return this 1LE back to the dealer.
Looking online, there is not one tire manufacturer making an all season or non summer "only" tire in the correct size for this car.
BS.
How about my Rotors and Calipers?
Are those damn things seasonal as well?
Do I need to remove and take them in my house and wrap them up in warm electric blankets?
Why not include four of those dinky Doughnut spare tires?
Yes,, after the OEM tires fail at 100 miles, we can at least put them on and take the family too Pizza Hut.
LMFAO this is what happens when the elderly buy modern performance cars holy shit.

Sweet complete overreaction to your own lack of understanding haha

PS there are multiple brands of tires available in these sizes, and you were made aware of the summer only tires at time of purchase as well as given documentation on such.
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:44 PM   #37
Cgocifer

What's funny though is how many of these cars will be sitting out on the dealer lots covered in snow in 20 degree or below weather... Warranty doesn't start until the car sells.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:56 AM   #38
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
What's funny though is how many of these cars will be sitting out on the dealer lots covered in snow in 20 degree or below weather... Warranty doesn't start until the car sells.
That's why GM tells dealers not to move the cars in those temps. We don't get many really cold days like that here but we've never had a problem with the 1LEs sitting outside in that weather.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:07 AM   #39
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
That's why GM tells dealers not to move the cars in those temps. We don't get many really cold days like that here but we've never had a problem with the 1LEs sitting outside in that weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
I might be picking one up in Jan or Feb, this should be interesting.
That's why I thought my upcoming experience should be interesting, dead of winter in PA.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #40
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Ok, so the proper thing to do is to put the car up on stands, remove the wheels, and store them in the house. Nice, wife is going to love this!

:-/
You don't need to do any of that. As long as you don't move it they will be fine. Mine sits in the garage between 20-30 degrees during winter every year. Every now and then when it's a little warmer I roll it a couple inches here or there to avoid flatspots.(See note above about 24hrs worth of warmer beforehand) I was worried at first but after 4 winters, i'd say there is nothing to worry about if you're not driving it. Just park it in nov/dec and walk away till february. That's my experience with them at least.