Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-25-2016, 12:26 PM   #1
ccable86

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro Nightfall Grey
K&N Blackhawk vs. ROTOFAB

Does anybody know much about the K&N Blackhawk air filter? I was all but ready to pull the trigger on the new rotofab air filter until i saw RDP posted the K&N one. it claims 20+ hp gains but havent been able to find much other info on it.
ccable86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #2
Lord Dirt

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Their website:
$363.99 USD
MSRP $660.00 44.9% Off

It looks pretty wimpy compared to others that are out. Wait for some real tests by others.
Lord Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:55 PM   #3
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
I didn't even know that thing by k&n existed! I'd go with roto fab. The k&n looks like a cheap knock off by comparison. The k&n deletes the sound tube, at least it looks like it does, the metal k&n logo looks cheap & crooked(imho), and the filter looks very small compared to rotofab.
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #4
Lord Dirt

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
the K&N filter just hit the market
Lord Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Do it right the first time. Rotofab.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:37 PM   #6
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
I agree with the others. We can personally vouch for the gains the Roto-Fab adds so you know your getting what you paid for . Let us know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Kayla L.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #7
Hyper1SS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 NPP
Go with the Roto-Fab intake. K&N looks thrown together with parts that don't fit together and could cause air leaks. If they already have it discounted that much that should say something for their cheaply made intake. I went with Roto-Fab with the sound tube delete through JDP Motorsports with super fast shipping. I am extremely happy with the look, quality and fitment!!
Attached Images

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges

Order ID: TDHQMS
1100 on 01/07/2016 at Penske Chevrolet
6000 on 02/23/2016 Delivered to customer
Hyper1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper1SS View Post
Go with the Roto-Fab intake. K&N looks thrown together with parts that don't fit together and could cause air leaks. If they already have it discounted that much that should say something for their cheaply made intake. I went with Roto-Fab with the sound tube delete through JDP Motorsports with super fast shipping. I am extremely happy with the look, quality and fitment!!
I've received a few questions about the in-cabin sound of the enhancer delete kit. Do you have any thoughts or opinions that I could relay to those who inquire?

Thanks,
Michael
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:37 AM   #9
Hyper1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
I've received a few questions about the in-cabin sound of the enhancer delete kit. Do you have any thoughts or opinions that I could relay to those who inquire?

Thanks,
Michael
I tried doing a in cabin video but the GoPro did not pick up anything. Personally I think it toned it down quite a bit myself. I think it is a great option to have and offer us. I would say with headers and a better full system exhaust you would be able to tell a bigger difference with the sound tube delete. I got it not much for sound but to clean up the engine bay from that mess up front and more room for my catch can without that tube running all the way back to the firewall. Hope that helps

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges

Old 08-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #10
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper1SS View Post
I tried doing a in cabin video but the GoPro did not pick up anything. Personally I think it toned it down quite a bit myself. I think it is a great option to have and offer us. I would say with headers and a better full system exhaust you would be able to tell a bigger difference with the sound tube delete. I got it not much for sound but to clean up the engine bay from that mess up front and more room for my catch can without that tube running all the way back to the firewall. Hope that helps
Thank you for your thoughts on the delete system! I'm glad it's serving its purpose for you.

Michael
Old 08-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #11
Hyper1SS

I put a Youtube video together to show you the sound tube delete kit option. This is my first video ever with the new GoPro we just got. I am for sure no professional and my videos are nothing like Mathew's AKA LethalHammer. But wanted to get this out there to show people interested in possibly going with the sound tube delete. Sorry about the sound and quality. Hope this helps and gives you a idea. Thanks

https://youtu.be/AZtqMs-EmlU

Old 09-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #12
Roto-fab 1

For anyone concerned about the MAF changes when switching to our CAI,

A very knowledgeable forum member purchased our CAI and did extensive data logging over the weekend. He had this to say about the Roto-fab system:

"Quick update... I will post specifics later tonite.

So I would like to say great job to Rotofab. I am very impressed with not only the construction quality of their intake I am impressed at how accurate they kept the MAF output. The variation on AFR was sub 1% across the RPM band. This was data collected in MAF only mode in the ECM which really isolates the AFR from being influenced by other variables. I did 3rd gear runs (A8) from 1500 RPMs up to redline. The stock vs RF runs were within a couple hours of each other with minimal weather variation.

On the power front I was not on a dyno today but the one area that hints at a definite improvement is the MAP. I stays about 1 kPa higher across the RPM range over the stock intake. So as of right now I do expect to see a power increase of some level on the dyno."

Link to Tsloper's review thread here:http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465449

Thanks everyone for your interest and support!
Michael
Old 09-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #13
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
K&N is absolute ****ing garbage
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:51 PM   #14
Roto-fab 1

I have not seen one installed on a 2016 Camaro, but I do know that the molded Roto-fab air box seals out engine heat more effectively than any CAI that I have seen available for this car.

Michael