Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-04-2018, 07:29 PM   #1
BlancoPerla2010

Drives: 2010 camaro 2lt RS v6
Exclamation My remote starter wont work. CEL light on

hello every one, I have a 2010 Camaro 2lt with the RS package, I garaged it this winter and once a month I turn it on to keep it in use, last time I tried to use the remote starter it didn't work so I turned it on normally, this month it worked then in 10 it shut off, I tried it again and nothing, I started it normally but I notice today that my CEL was on, another thing I notice was that it took a while for the engine to warm up, usually it warms up quick and gets to normal temperture within minutes, today it took a while to just get to a quarter high in the temp gauge, I check the gas cap and it was good, does the CEL has something to do the car temps or because it has suffer some brutal cold weather and only been turned on once a month?, what could cause the light to come on?, I read that the remote starter dosent work when the cel light is on
BlancoPerla2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:23 PM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlancoPerla2010 View Post
hello every one, I have a 2010 Camaro 2lt with the RS package, I garaged it this winter and once a month I turn it on to keep it in use, last time I tried to use the remote starter it didn't work so I turned it on normally, this month it worked then in 10 it shut off, I tried it again and nothing, I started it normally but I notice today that my CEL was on, another thing I notice was that it took a while for the engine to warm up, usually it warms up quick and gets to normal temperture within minutes, today it took a while to just get to a quarter high in the temp gauge, I check the gas cap and it was good, does the CEL has something to do the car temps or because it has suffer some brutal cold weather and only been turned on once a month?, what could cause the light to come on?, I read that the remote starter dosent work when the cel light is on

Whatever is causing that CEL is possibly keeping the car in open loop. The CEL is what is causing your remote start to not work. Its a safety feature.

If you don't have access to a scanner, go to Autozone or your local auto parts store. They will run a scan for you for free. Don't drive it around too much with that CEL without finding the cause.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:02 PM   #3
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Yes the car temperature not coming up to operating temperature within a particular amount of time can throw a CEL code P0128 if I remember correctly, I have seen it happen on other cars. It’s an emissions thing. Probably your thermostat is stuck open.
Yes you are correct the remote start will not work if a CEL is on.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #4
JOURDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
How old is your battery?

If it's old, or has not been charged then this is likely a battery issue.

Starting your car does nothing to replace the miliamps used to start it, you need to drive it a while just to break even.

If you repeatable start your car to maintain it that is not being accomplished.

You must remove the battery and charge it, or add a trickle charger connector. Problem is a trickle charger likely won't charge your battery in any reasonable amount of time, they are designed to maintain a fully charged battery"

If your battery is old, buy a new one, the process of changing the battery should result in no CEl
JOURDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:54 AM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Turning your car on in the winter is no way to care for it!

You should hook up a battery tender and leave the car alone. All you're doing is draining the battery and filling the exhaust with condensed moisture, because you will never get the engine and exhaust hot enough idling the car.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
BlancoPerla2010

ok guys thanks or the respond, I just figured out today that my Camaro is throwing a p0300 and p0303 p0304 p0305 p0306 code which is misfire on cylinder and random misfires, what could of cause this? the car was in perfect running condition b4 I garaged it
Old 02-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #7
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
ok guys thanks or the respond, I just figured out today that my Camaro is throwing a p0300 and p0303 p0304 p0305 p0306 code which is misfire on cylinder and random misfires, what could of cause this? the car was in perfect running condition b4 I garaged it
I would suggest getting under the hood and underneath the car to check for any traces of rodents.

I just figure with the car being stored, you are a prime candidate for mice or other nasty vermin. There is a guy on this site that drives a blue 6th gen who had a mouse/mice actually eat parts of his car under the hood.

It's worth looking at. Check all the wiring running to the injectors, plugs, O2 sensors, rubber hosing, etc.

And what the guys above say about proper battery maintenance, listen to them. This car is known for throwing weird CEL codes from a weak battery.

Good luck!
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Yes, the last time I had a misfire problem on a car (not Camaro), the fuel injector harness had been damaged by rodents. Take the engine cover off to see. Signs of mice include turds and empty acorn shells as well as damaged wires.

Your garage should be free of clutter and food, and baited with poison by a professional exterminator. BTW, starting your engine in winter is not only bad for the battery, crankcase oil, and exhaust, it also makes an attractive warm place for mice, at least temporarily.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #9
BlancoPerla2010

ok, thanks, ill check if it is the battery but dosent the battery light would light up if the battery is low? plus I never had any signs of rodents, I store my DD maxima in there every day and never saw signs of rodents, youll think since my other car is used daly they would hide there first, plus this is only my second time igniting my car this winter so hopefully no damages is made on my car. Do you guys think can also be because of the gas, I have almost a thank in it, the first time I turned it on was like -20 and that's when it started acting up, maybe it got water condensate in the tank?
Old 02-06-2018, 09:15 PM   #10
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
If you still have the original battery, I would indeed replace it.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:29 PM   #11
BlancoPerla2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
If you still have the original battery, I would indeed replace it.
you think that can throw the misfire code ? dosent a battery only serves to turn on the car? I can feel the misfire cause my engine well my car kinds of moves and shake, I was thinking I got water in my gas from condensation
Old 02-07-2018, 08:28 AM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
you think that can throw the misfire code ? dosent a battery only serves to turn on the car? I can feel the misfire cause my engine well my car kinds of moves and shake, I was thinking I got water in my gas from condensation
How much gas is in your tank? If it is Pretty close to full condensation should not be a problem. I’ve really not had a condensation problem unless the tank was 1/2 full or less.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:19 AM   #13
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Turning your car on in the winter is no way to care for it!

You should hook up a battery tender and leave the car alone. All you're doing is draining the battery and filling the exhaust with condensed moisture, because you will never get the engine and exhaust hot enough idling the car.
^ ^ ^ This. Unless your going to DRIVE your car for at least a 1/2 hour on
the road, let it sit. It makes no sense to start up a car while its being stored.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:09 AM   #14
adamw135

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
My 2010 does this after sitting a while unused in cold temps. Runs noticeably rough and throws random misfire codes when first started. Once it warms up it runs fine. I've had this happen a half dozen times over a few years. I can only assume its condensation frozen in a vacuum line. I never noticed it taking longer to warm up though, so it may be something different.
adamw135 is offline   Reply With Quote