Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 01-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #15
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K+1LE View Post
The issue you'll have is with flat spots. So, you'll need to replace them anyway.
I've read several threads where owners have inflated the tires to near the rated max PSI for long term storage without issues and no flat spots the next spring. Certainly keep an eye on PSI during storage as your tires could lose air pressure with extreme cold temps and that could contribute to flat spots.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #16
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I thought I read in one of the service bulletins warning not to even adjust the tire pressure during extreme cold.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:57 PM   #17
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
Yes, there is only a problem if you are driving. How cold is it in your garage?
SB-13-03-10-001D Information on Tire Cold Weather Cracking
I thought these precautions applied to my 2SS also, but it doesn't seem to be listed in the bulletin for some reason.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:21 PM   #18
MJP

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE Summit White
Quote:
They won't crack from just sitting there, the literature is pretty clear around the issues coming from them being driven before being allowed to warm up properly for 24 hours.

The issue you'll have is with flat spots. So, you'll need to replace them anyway.
It's suppose to get up into the low 40's starting tomorrow through the end of the week.
I'm wondering if it will be safe to push the car forward several inches come the end of the week?
MJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #19
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Does anyone actually know a person who had a modern tire get flat spots? My lemons/chump race car sits on it's wheels and tires for 361 days a year and never had a problem. I get why this was an issue in the old days with steel belted tires, but new technology uses cords and wires that are far less prone to flat spotting.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:21 PM   #20
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
Does anyone actually know a person who had a modern tire get flat spots? My lemons/chump race car sits on it's wheels and tires for 361 days a year and never had a problem. I get why this was an issue in the old days with steel belted tires, but new technology uses cords and wires that are far less prone to flat spotting.
2006 GTO with the factory 18" Bridgestone RE040's (summer tires!).
They would go away after a mile or two, but if the car sat all week and it was cold out, I'd have a shimmy when first driven.
Never did it when warm out, only in the winter/cold and if the car sat several days.

Twelve years ago, but not that ancient.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:50 PM   #21
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
2006 GTO with the factory 18" Bridgestone RE040's (summer tires!).
They would go away after a mile or two, but if the car sat all week and it was cold out, I'd have a shimmy when first driven.
Never did it when warm out, only in the winter/cold and if the car sat several days.

Twelve years ago, but not that ancient.
Right... but it wasn't permanent. That's what I'm getting at, is there actual instance of someone having to buy new tires because of flat spots from sitting?
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:17 AM   #22
Yendor

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
I thought I read in one of the service bulletins warning not to even adjust the tire pressure during extreme cold.
That's what I understood, don't inflate them if it is cold. I checked mine as it got colder and they deflated a bit due to the colder temps, I don't dare increase the pressure now though. I will wait until spring in my post winter ritual of fluid checks and what-not.

And I too have never experienced long term flat spotting after winter. Maybe a jiggle or 2 for a few miles then they warm up and everyone plays happy.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:14 PM   #23
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
They won't crack from just sitting there, the literature is pretty clear around the issues coming from them being driven before being allowed to warm up properly for 24 hours.

I just roll mine a foot or so on occasion when it warms up. If a warm up never presents itself I still don't worry about it because the car is only sitting for a few months. I have yet to feel the presence of flat spots. This isn't long term storage people.

There it sits. Pissed off because it's winter. F Winter. Garage was around 10 degrees when I took this. No cracks.

Name:  IMG_9235.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  175.4 KB