Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-05-2018, 07:52 PM   #15
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Smith View Post
I wasn't in the exact same boat as you. But, I had my heart set on a 2018 M3 and on a whim I drove the 2018 ZL1.... I really enjoyed the ZL1 over the M3. The driving experience was amazing, the tech was leaps and bounds beyond the M3. That is why the ZL1 is in the garage!!

I really think it's all on the test drive.
Sound! haha

I think the M3/M4 is one of the best looking cars on the planet (at least the front fascia and angles) and def the best looking in all of their lineup. Unfortunately, I cannot get over the sound of the 6 cylinder.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #16
Nikef72

Drives: 18' ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
if you want abadass car that drives you, GTR
If you want a badass car that you drive, ZL1

just my 2 cents
What he said
Old 01-05-2018, 08:06 PM   #17
Yellow6thGen
18 ZL1 A10 Convertible

Drives: White ZL1 Convertible
ZL1 all the way... my 16SS was going to last me for ever and I had already bought the parts to mod it out with the LT4 kit. I was fortunate to be buying a daily driver at the 20+ percent off sale and my salesman ask if I would like to test drive the 2018 ZL1 and without hesitation I said yes and in two min he had the car pulled up and plate on. I told him if I drive it I’m going to drive it like it’s mine. Well in 0-60-100 in less than what seemend like just seconds and in full control and in the seat it was sold in just that time.... it was truly an amazing car. I didn’t think GM could make it better, but they did by leaps and bounds! With new DRs and CAI you have a true 10 second car and in my case a Convertible... on street tires 11.40.@ 125 in 1/4 mile I can’t wait for the CAT/Alex back from Kooks, 1 7/8 Headers and Rotofab CAI.... I mean a daily driver and Convertible 10 sec car...

2018 ZL1 Convertible A10 @ Kooks R&D.
Yellow6thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:12 PM   #18
Factorypilot

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Love the feedback guys - great stuff and some very good points. I'll do my best to find a used ZL1 that I can really "drive" because for obvious reasons I don't want to thrash a new ZL1 that hasn't been broken in; especially one I'm considering buying. Not that the dealer is going to let me do full throttle acceleration in a new ZL1 anyway....

But - I will go test drive one and see.
Factorypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #19
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
The GTR is awesome. But I can't get over how it looks. It just doesn't do it for me. But how about a used R8 instead?
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:37 PM   #20
Factorypilot

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
The GTR is awesome. But I can't get over how it looks. It just doesn't do it for me. But how about a used R8 instead?
What's funny is that I actually LIKE the way the GTR looks -- it's unique and in my neck of the woods you just NEVER see them.

I think it's a cool looking car, but I also like the renderings of the 2019 Corvette which everyone seems to hate (I think it looks like a Ferrari), so maybe my taste is going south haha. Don't get me wrong, the ZL1 is a beauty, I guess I'm just over it because I've owned a late model Camaro now for a couple of years. What gives me pause on the GTR is the price... 2013-2015 model will run anywhere from 67 to 80K, used. That and I'd never buy one without a Nissan dealer pulling all the diagnostics. The fact that Nissan will not even repair the transmission (they are told to replace the entire thing if something goes wrong) is scary.
Factorypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #21
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
If you've never owned a GTR, I say go for it. That way you can check it off the bucket list. To me, even tho I got bored in 9 months and traded it in on a Z06, looking back, I miss it. I should of never got rid of it. I don't know why cus I know I was bored as hell driving the damn thing, but now every time I see one, I want another one. Just buy a GTR, enjoy them and move on to the Zl1.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:42 PM   #22
mr965

Drives: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
I was looking at the same including other vehicles....

Jeep Trackhawk - too hard to get a hold of and the damn mark up

Used GT-R - resale value is way too high around here for a used one. New was out of my price range. I think the used value will drop with another GT-R coming but too long of a wait for me. Every Asian that can get one....does. Mod prices, you already talked about that..... also brake job, no thanks on the price

Z06 - I don't want to deal with heating issues at the road course and only a 2 seater. I have 2 small kids....they can fit in the back of the ZL1 (for now).

Lexus RC-F - Good quality just not enough performance especially at Denver altitude

Hellcat - obvious straight line appeal, not much else including interior

Ended up with a ZL1 A10 - best option for all around performance, won't be the best at any one thing, but great all around performer. I actually really like the interior. It's humorous pulling up and watching people have the look when they see an Asian step out of one.
Hehe. I can relate
mr965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:54 AM   #23
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
GTR has old tech. Go for the new ZL1
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:43 AM   #24
VtecGSR95

Drives: Acadia
I am facing the same dilemma now myself!

I am certain there are some fine used GTR's out there......most of us buy these cars with our hard earned (for me anyway) money, and don't plan on thrashing and trashing said investment. Most I see on the forums and clean as new, have some sort of 3M or other type or clear bra applied (usually at the cost of $2k+), so clearly they are trying to protect their investment. Sure, they hammered it a few times, or maybe launched it, but in the end, I don't buy my cars to stare at them! Nor would I do launches from light to light!

On the other hand, for the price of a used GTR, I am certain I can buy a NEW ZL1, with warranty, and know where its been. My biggest concern, I don't think Ill keep it forever.....maybe a year......and I may fulfill my need for speed, and I don't want to take a bath on it. The GTR seems to have leveled off on depreciation, but the ZL1 has not since it is so new.

I plan to hit the local strip every now and again......but no road course for me. So either is going to be fast in a straight line.

I like the ZL1 exterior better......but the GTR interior better.

I would buy the A10.....so the "cant get a manual GTR" doesn't bother me.

I think the GTR seems to be a little more unique, in that they are fairly rare in most areas. Sure, the ZL1 is rare in some ways, but to most people on the street.....they cant tell a ZL1 from a V-6 RS Camaro!

Seems its really time for a test drive! Not sure how willing dealers will be about test driving the ZL1 or used GTR.....but it sounds like thats what made the decision for most of you.
VtecGSR95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:21 AM   #25
GT-ER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I was cross shoping a GT-R with my ZL1 and what made me steer away from the GT-R was the cost of parts, mods and how little engine bay space it has, unlike the Camaro. I mean, a factory reman ZL1 A10 is like $3,200. The GT-R's transmission is over $7k. Ouch.
GT-ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:27 AM   #26
Lethal Z
American Gearhead!!

Drives: ZL1 1LE/GT350/Ford RS/Gen 2 Raptor
I know looks are subjective, but the GTR has the body lines of a brick. It's just an ugly car.
Lethal Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:26 AM   #27
Jmueller

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtecGSR95 View Post
I am facing the same dilemma now myself!

I am certain there are some fine used GTR's out there......most of us buy these cars with our hard earned (for me anyway) money, and don't plan on thrashing and trashing said investment. Most I see on the forums and clean as new, have some sort of 3M or other type or clear bra applied (usually at the cost of $2k+), so clearly they are trying to protect their investment. Sure, they hammered it a few times, or maybe launched it, but in the end, I don't buy my cars to stare at them! Nor would I do launches from light to light!

On the other hand, for the price of a used GTR, I am certain I can buy a NEW ZL1, with warranty, and know where its been. My biggest concern, I don't think Ill keep it forever.....maybe a year......and I may fulfill my need for speed, and I don't want to take a bath on it. The GTR seems to have leveled off on depreciation, but the ZL1 has not since it is so new.

I plan to hit the local strip every now and again......but no road course for me. So either is going to be fast in a straight line.

I like the ZL1 exterior better......but the GTR interior better.

I would buy the A10.....so the "cant get a manual GTR" doesn't bother me.

I think the GTR seems to be a little more unique, in that they are fairly rare in most areas. Sure, the ZL1 is rare in some ways, but to most people on the street.....they cant tell a ZL1 from a V-6 RS Camaro!

Seems its really time for a test drive! Not sure how willing dealers will be about test driving the ZL1 or used GTR.....but it sounds like thats what made the decision for most of you.

The dealer I bought my ZL1 from let me test drive it as hard as I wanted to. I think they knew I was serious about possibly buying it though. I was the one who didn't want to go 10/10th on the throttle, because I already knew what the break-in period was, and did not want to trash the car I was going to buy.
Jmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:29 AM   #28
901racer

Drives: C7
I have both currently, and a few others. The GTR is a 2014 Alpha 9 Flex fuel E85 car with a conservative tune at 715hp on a mustang dyno. Both are great cars, as one person said if it's on your bucket list do it with no regrets. The modified GTR is quite a bit faster than the ZL1, but the ZL1 is much better stock around a road course like Road Atlanta and you can really feel the weight of the GTR vs. ZL1. The aftermarket support is good for the GTR but the price of the parts are very high.

I tend to drive the ZL1 more, but that's probably because I have had the GTR the longest.
901racer is offline   Reply With Quote