Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #15
Z/Camaro

Drives: C8 and 280z/280zx/300zx
Well my ex who I'm still close with has a ZL1 A10. She got it earlier this year and I've had the pleasure of driving it several times. I previously had a C6 GS and was all set to get a C7 GS but it didn't make sense to me to pay more for a Vette when the ZL1 is cheaper, fully loaded, and faster. I spent the last 6 months really going back and forth. So I finally decided ZL1 but when I went into the dealer a few weeks ago they had a left over 17 Z06 manual. I got it for a steal and drove home with it. Honestly for the first couple weeks during break in I kind of regretted it and wished I had got the ZL1. However now that I'm past break in I'm more at peace with my choice.

Don't get me wrong, the Z06 is fantastic but I believe due to it's light weight it doesn't seem to handle the power as well as the Camaro. The ZL1 seems more composed with 650hp compared to the Z06. Now that could possibly be the A10 auto but even at highway speeds and accelerating the Z06 seems to have more wheel slip. From a speed and handling perspective, honestly the two are so similar it doesn't matter which you have. It really comes down to which car you like the look of, the interior and seating position of, and feel of the drive. I am more of a sports car guy so the Vette fits my likes better but the 6th gen Camaro is so nice inside that it feels very close to the Vette sporty feel. At this point I'm happy with my Vette and not worried about the Camaro at this time. However I will say if I could do it over again I would have gone with the Camaro simply because I could have got it in the color option I wanted and it still would have been cheaper which just makes more sense. So all that being said I would say if you like your current Vette GS but want more power the ZL1 is a perfect option, especially if you miss driving a Camaro.

I too will say to give the A10 a chance. I've been a die-hard manual guy since I started driving. I never thought I would ever consider getting an auto. Even after driving a Lambo, Porsche turbo PDK, R8. But after spending real time in the Camaro A10 it's a pure joy. Put it in manual mode and it's like driving a stick without worrying about a clutch. The response and sound are just like the manual. If I had gotten the ZL1 it would have been the A10 and I would have driven it in manual mode 99% of the time. Just saying, it really is worth looking at.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #16
ARS1

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE - Hyper Blue
Having a GS and ZL1 I'd say just go drive one if you haven't already and go from there. If your GS isn't Supercharged like ours than that will be the biggest difference right there. I even had the wife drive a 2SS today then a ZL1 and she went straight to the ZL1 after driving it. I just had to remind her that it's a lot different than her Yukon or anything else she's ever driven for that matter She started getting into it in a corner and I calmly just said " I wouldn't do that if I were you..." Respect the power
'18 Jeep JL Rubicon - Blue - Wife's Ride
'17 F250 6.7L 4x4 Lariat Ult. Shadow Black -Kelderman 6"-8" Air Lift -Big Truck
ARS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #17
speedraider

Drives: 2016 Z06, 2017 ZL1
Hey ZAP, I remember you from the corvette forum back in the c6 days. Believe you lived in the west side as I lived In Oviedo. I dumped my 2016 z06 for a ZL1 and never looked back. Easier to get in and out of, runs a lot cooler. Pulls hard, much better driving around town. None of that fn wheel popping stuff that drove me nuts when turning the steering wheel.
speedraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #18
Zap city

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE, MN6, SGM
Hey Speedraider, I certainly remember you and appreciate the feedback. To answer an earlier question, here are the things I miss about the SS-

Exhaust note
Infotainment center that is far and away better than the C7 system
Interior layout and room- camaro is more comfortable overall
Blindspot monitoring
Driving modes that are more responsive through various settings
Steering feel and alpha platform ride
cameras in front and rear and much better quality
heated steering wheel
other electronics seem more modern with seemless integration between phone, infotainment and carplay

Pluses on the GS-

removable roof
styling
crisper handling and better grip

This list pretty much sums it up I suppose.
Zap city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #19
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
The 6th. gen Camaro ZL1 it's a more complete performance package and has a better shifter compared to the 7 speed Stingray. But the int & ext looks of the Corvette GS are awesome, has great handling but lacks HP.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #20
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap city View Post
Hey Speedraider, I certainly remember you and appreciate the feedback. To answer an earlier question, here are the things I miss about the SS-

Exhaust note
Infotainment center that is far and away better than the C7 system
Interior layout and room- camaro is more comfortable overall
Blindspot monitoring
Driving modes that are more responsive through various settings
Steering feel and alpha platform ride
cameras in front and rear and much better quality
heated steering wheel
other electronics seem more modern with seemless integration between phone, infotainment and carplay

Pluses on the GS-

removable roof
styling
crisper handling and better grip

This list pretty much sums it up I suppose.
Unless I misunderstood your post...
There's no front camera in the ZL1 unless you're talking about the PDR but, it's in the mirror, not the front grill.

Did I understand your point correctly?
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:49 PM   #21
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

I test drove a GS before I chose the ZL1 - car just 'felt' better in every regard to me.

My .02
Old 12-13-2017, 07:33 PM   #22
Zap city

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE, MN6, SGM
Yes I actually forgot that the gen6 doesn't have a front camera but was comparing the C7 front and rear cameras which look like 80s surveillance cameras compared to the gen 6. There are other little details which are nicer now that I think about it like a more modern HUD display and more finished and substantial key fob on the gen6. Build quality seems higher on the vette though. The dealership confirmed that they are basically giving me better than the deal I hoped for by a wide margin and I'm basically driving the vette for free for a year. One other consideration is depreciation, which is a primary reason I got out of my gen6 to begin with. A Camaro will never hold value like a vette. Now to decide if I pull the trigger on one of three cars they have in stock- white, red hot or hyper blue?
Zap city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:38 PM   #23
Busted43

Drives: 2018 zl1,A10,16 GLC300
Got rid of my 2013 z06 for my Zl1, A10. Not even close to looking back....
Old 12-13-2017, 08:07 PM   #24
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
I test drove a GS before I chose the ZL1 - car just 'felt' better in every regard to me.

My .02
Which one is better?
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:56 PM   #25
harrington81

Drives: 2015 Camaro zl1
You're crazy trading in a brand new GS like that.
harrington81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:44 PM   #26
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I would say if you want back into a Camaro the ZL1 is the way to go! Unless you want to wait until the 2019 refresh is revealed to see if the Z/28 will make a return.
2020 z/28
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:23 AM   #27
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
That's a tough choice.. The only issue with the GS is the lack of horsepower. I love the ZL1 as well. Was close to getting a 17 Z06 but they wouldn't go down to 15% off :(

This thing is a thing of beauty hands down. 10.95 1/4 mile and 0-60 in 2.95 with these looks.. Hot damn
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:42 AM   #28
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Which one is better?
ZL1.