Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #1
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

I realize these tires are still quite new on the market, and I've seen a few folks on Fb groups getting them in.

If anyone has any feedback on how good these are (or aren't) for our cars, especially in track conditions, I'd be grateful. I really do think the stock F1's are a pretty great tire, but something that lasts a bit longer would be nice as well.

TIA
Old 05-25-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I'm just waiting for them to be released in 5th Gen ZL1 sizes and I'll let you know.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:16 AM   #3
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Unless they've changed the construction/compound to be meant for 4K pound cars, I doubt they are going to be good for us. Currently, the MPSS is made for cars closer to 3K pounds. It overheats under extreme conditions (long back-road runs, autocrosses, track events) and gets greasy.

I'll stick with F1s in the summer and BFGs for cooler months for the time being.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #4
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Just mounted them on the front with 285/35r19. Fingers crossed. They do seem to be a little firmer in the sidewall and I am hoping they hold up better. Next track weekend is 6/24-6/25 at TWS.

I started with super sports which chunked and corded on the outside after 6 track days. Still have them on the rear. Basically you need to start at more like 32 or even 34 psi cold and let them get to 38-39 hot, or they rollover. Also, you need camber maxed out at 2deg IMO to avoid my experience. So $700 later I have the MP4S on the front. Friend with MPSS 305s on a GT350 has none of the same issues and tires holding up fine posting very fast track times. I wonder if the 305s have different sidewall construction or they are just handling the weight better. He starts cold 29 psi which gets to 36-37 after the run.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:40 PM   #5
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcloak View Post
I realize these tires are still quite new on the market, and I've seen a few folks on Fb groups getting them in.

If anyone has any feedback on how good these are (or aren't) for our cars, especially in track conditions, I'd be grateful. I really do think the stock F1's are a pretty great tire, but something that lasts a bit longer would be nice as well.

TIA
I have been using MPSS for the last two years now for street driving and Autocross events. They are much better for Autocross than the stock F1 G2's. They are much better for street driving as they work much better in cooler temps and on wet roads than the F1 G2's. The F1 G2's are much better for road course duty though as they will not over heat near as easily as the MPSS (or now the revised version MPS4).

So for track driving I'd recommend not going with the MPS4 and sticking with the F1 G2's. For street and/or autocross I'd say the MPS4's would be a great all around tire for you for those uses. I have 2 seasons of Autocross, 2 track days at Road America (in very cool ambient temps which were low 40's for high temps), and about 14,000 miles of street driving on my MPSS's and I still have probably 1/2 tread left on them. They have been great for tread wear and they actually worked pretty well for Autocross.

This year I've since gotten a 3rd set of 1LE wheels that I had RE-71R's mounted onto for Autocross. So far they are working very well for that!
Old 05-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
Fancy

Drives: 2014 1LE
I have a few thousand street miles on my 4S tires at this point ranging from daily driving to hard street and canyon driving. First track day with them will be on 6/12 so I will update after that also.

I live in the Pacific Northwest, it rains and isn't 80+ all the time like some of you get so consider that in my review. I also have not run MPSS tires on my car but believe there have been a lot of changes made to the 4S from what I read before getting them.

For daily driving and hard street use the Pilot 4S is hands down better than the F1's. It grips when cold and when it's wet two things the F1's do not. Pushed on the street and heated up the 4S to this point have only gotten better but we will see where the limit is in a few weeks out on the track.

side note on wet driving I ran Comp 2 A/S on my 2010 SS and they were a nice tire. The 4S feels almost as good in heavy rain freeway driving and have had no hydroplane issues with it.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:44 PM   #7
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Looking forward to how they don on your track day Fancy.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
Fancy

Drives: 2014 1LE
Trackday was Tuesday, it was a ProDrive School at Portland International Raceway with an in car instructor all day. The Pilot Sport 4S's performed AMAZING!

Temps were in the mid 60's with all weather conditions. Rain and extremely wet track for the morning sessions with a dry afternoon track. The tires never missed a step and held all day no matter how hard I pushed them.

This was my first trackday in my 1LE and the car and tires took everything I tried to do. I'm not a track expert but have some experience and felt I was pushing the car pretty good all day. Passed every car in my group (B group) multiple times except for one in the wet and dry. The car I didn't pass was a brand new Z06 Corvette and I was able to hang onto him in the corners and braking zones he just walked away when we got to the straights.

I would highly recommend the Sport 4S tires to anyone out there looking for an all around tire. If I would have been on the stock F1's half my day in the rain would have been pointless and I am not sure they would have even been better in the dry afternoon runs. The 4S tires are worth the extra cost and will buy again.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:09 PM   #9
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
Trackday was Tuesday, it was a ProDrive School at Portland International Raceway with an in car instructor all day. The Pilot Sport 4S's performed AMAZING!

Temps were in the mid 60's with all weather conditions. Rain and extremely wet track for the morning sessions with a dry afternoon track. The tires never missed a step and held all day no matter how hard I pushed them.

This was my first trackday in my 1LE and the car and tires took everything I tried to do. I'm not a track expert but have some experience and felt I was pushing the car pretty good all day. Passed every car in my group (B group) multiple times except for one in the wet and dry. The car I didn't pass was a brand new Z06 Corvette and I was able to hang onto him in the corners and braking zones he just walked away when we got to the straights.

I would highly recommend the Sport 4S tires to anyone out there looking for an all around tire. If I would have been on the stock F1's half my day in the rain would have been pointless and I am not sure they would have even been better in the dry afternoon runs. The 4S tires are worth the extra cost and will buy again.
Great to know, that you for following though.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #10
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
On my car I had the MPSS and with my throttle controller set at 6 I could nail my car at 15mph and spin the tires all the way thru the rest of 1st and most of 2nd. Now with the 4S to spin them I actually have to get to 1500rpm and drop the clutch to get them to break loose off the line but then they grab and get traction pretty quick.

That is the only way I have been able to spin them and the corning on the streets is amazing.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote