The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > C7 Ordering, Pricing, Order Tracking Discussions

Old 10-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #15
Jabs

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS Stage 2
I went to my dealer today to place an order and they said I can't due to the constraint :(

Jabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Only non-Z51 orders can be currently placed for a dealer's weekly allocation. It's likely that if you want to order a Z51 unit now, it won't be scheduled for production until well after the new year due to the ongoing constraints. There are many in queue ahead of new orders.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
Jabs

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
If this is true, I'm going to get my deposit back and wait for MY15.
That's what I told my dealer today. I'd rather wait for the 2015's if there's already a 4-5 month wait until I can actually order the car!

Jabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #18
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabs View Post
That's what I told my dealer today. I'd rather wait for the 2015's if there's already a 4-5 month wait until I can actually order the car!
My deposit is already in. If the order doesn't go through by the new year, I'll cancel it and get my deposit back. Who knows.... maybe this is a blessing in disguise. I've always wanted a Z06..... maybe MY15?

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #19
asptroopa1
asptroopa1

Drives: 2014 Corvette
My Dealer said she can't get any Z-51s for at least 6 weeks. She said the Verts are being ramped up and the want the non Z51 and verts to start showing up on the highways- she didn't say why......My Soapbox....when Chevrolet made the 94/95/96 Caprice with the LT1 for police.....it was the best police car I ever drove.....they stop making it so they could produce more Tahoes......instead of ramping up more shifts or another factory they kill a line of cars. They have never recouped the police market (18 years).....Now they make a great car (I mean really great) and they slow down production of a "hot seller"........does no one at the top say....okay if this thing takes off, we'll do this or that-but we will meet demands!
asptroopa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #20
gthal

Drives: 2014 Z51 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by asptroopa1 View Post
My Dealer said she can't get any Z-51s for at least 6 weeks. She said the Verts are being ramped up and the want the non Z51 and verts to start showing up on the highways- she didn't say why......My Soapbox....when Chevrolet made the 94/95/96 Caprice with the LT1 for police.....it was the best police car I ever drove.....they stop making it so they could produce more Tahoes......instead of ramping up more shifts or another factory they kill a line of cars. They have never recouped the police market (18 years).....Now they make a great car (I mean really great) and they slow down production of a "hot seller"........does no one at the top say....okay if this thing takes off, we'll do this or that-but we will meet demands!
The reports (speculation) is they are having supplier issues and can't get the Z51 components. I don't think they are choosing to just not produce the Z51 and piss off 80% of early buyers. They are requiring dealers to order non-Z51 cars because they can't produce the Z51 at the moment and if they just let everyone wait, it would kill production. Regardless, it is a very poor situation they find themselves in.
1996 BMW M3 | Estoril blue | Track car | Heavily modded for the track but still street legal... barely
Previous: 2011 M3 coupe | Jerez black | Fox Red interior | Competition Package | M-DCT
gthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #21
jeskali

Drives: 2011 bmw m3
thanks for all the insight. i really wanted to buy this car and felt great about buying an american car after owning only german cars my whole life. if this does not get resolved by year end, it will end this quest and confirm a number of my fears about GM. this really sucks
jeskali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #22
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Guys, all of you who are becoming dissappointed, impatient and disgruntled, please step back for a moment and consider a few things. I waited almost 8 MONTHS from deposit to delivery - they weren't even building cars when I put money down! Was I impatient? Yes, especially toward the end - and the car is worth every minute of that wait. Now, I'm seeing some are taking delivery 2-3 WEEKS after ordering - lucky SOBs!

As for GM, cut them some slack. They estimate option counts based on prior model year breakdowns and a number of other factors. Is it their fault if any particular option is suddenly more popular than expected? It is after all, the buyers who determine that, and I dare say EVERY manufacturer occassionaly gets one wrong.

And who is to say GM is to blame for a supplier who suddenly is overwhelmed by orders for 10x the parts originally anticipated? Manufacturing equipment is generally designed for a certain maximum speed and once max is reached, that's it. Yes, more machines can be built, but with many weeks or even months to make them, and at a great cost. Yes, more shifts can be added, but the chance for some kind of breakdown increases, as available maintenance time decreases. And if a critical machine breaks, then NO parts get made until fixed.

Finally, what about natural causes for delay? I recall just a few short years ago a long constraint on certain colors due to the Japanese plant that made the pigment being destroyed in an earthquake and tsunami. As it was the only plant in the world to make that particular pigment, guess what - no cars made anywhere with those colors, and it affected almost every car manufacturer in the world. With hurricanes, eathquakes, tornados and even combat running rampant across the globe, such cause for part production delays are inevitable. It is merely unfortunate if your car depends upon a part so affected.

To wantonly blame GM for poor management in this is not fair to the hundreds and even thousands of people who work very hard to design and build by far the greatest Corvette ever to date. Automobiles are very complex devices with thousands of parts. Delays of some kind are inevitable, no matter who is building the car. So sit back, relax, the Z51will get caught up, the exposed carbon tops and dash trim will again see the light of day. As they are only 7 weeks into production of an all-new car some growing pains are to be expected. And if you are still too impatient or disgruntled, then I dare to say you really aren't that interested in getting a Stingray in the first place.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #23
jefftriman

Drives: 2014 CGM Z51, 64 Lemans, 65 GTO
Amen! purpleRac3r

This car is going to be worth the wait. The people fortunate enough to have one on order are just that "Fortunate". There are not many people in the world that can even afford to own one these magnificent machines. As most of you, I have read a hundred different articles on the new Stingray and the only negatives are the non color matched vents and slight cabin noise? are you kidding me. This new Ray is outperforming just about every other car on the planet regardless of price.
I placed my order 10-11-13 and I will probably have to wait until next summer before I can take her for a spin, I will wait the time needed and when she finally arrives I will cherish that day.
I am a proud American who is about to purchase arguably the best American built sports car ever, so I am willing to give GM/Chevrolet the benefit of the doubt and allow them to do their job fulfilling all of these orders.
Step back - take a deep breath and enjoy the journey my friends.
JeffTriman
jefftriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #24
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Sorry, I disagree, I'm not going to give the UAW "a break". Paint runs are one thing, but when all I've heard from GM is zillions spent to renovate BG and how QC is job 1, and then so far in a small amt of cars, we have a missing CF dash, two diff level seats, and one a friggin mis picked spoiler, I think it's ridiculous.....

Or just make a less than perfect car, but shut up with the PR rhetoric....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #25
jefftriman

Drives: 2014 CGM Z51, 64 Lemans, 65 GTO
No PR rhetoric here, just a better attitude
jefftriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #26
Fasttoys

Drives: Lotus Evora S
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews_texas View Post
I wonder which one of these suppliers is to blame!
Industry wide suppliers having issues meeting demands. 2014 could be worse...

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#axzz2iHESb05R
Fasttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #27
gthal

Drives: 2014 Z51 coupe
PurpleRac3R.... I have no problem waiting. Patience is not my issue at all. My concern is GM is taking allocations from people if they don't remove the Z51. So, I have my order placed (since July) and when the dealer (small one) actually gets its allocation next month for my car, if the constraint is still there the choice is remove Z51 or the allocation goes to another dealer. If it was just a matter of waiting, I would have no problem at all.

Pulling allocations because people don't want to change the order is what is frustrating many people. If you are with a small dealer (like me), you may not be able to get another allocation for the foreseeable future... THAT is the sucky part.

P.S. This has happened to GM many times in the past. Although we can argue not to "blame" them given the complexity of the process, why haven't we seen similar issues from other manufacturers? When BMW launches the new M3/M4, I can pretty much guarantee they won't have supply issues. Don't get me wrong, LOVE this car and LOVE what GM has built... I just hope the constraint issues don't get in the way of people actually owning one. I will wait until May... if I can't get it by then I will buy something else because I don't want to miss the summer track season. I don't want to do that but GM may not make it possible not to... that's the sad part.
1996 BMW M3 | Estoril blue | Track car | Heavily modded for the track but still street legal... barely
Previous: 2011 M3 coupe | Jerez black | Fox Red interior | Competition Package | M-DCT
gthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #28
Highway 61

Drives: 2014 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleRac3r View Post
And if you are still too impatient or disgruntled, then I dare to say you really aren't that interested in getting a Stingray in the first place.
You got that right!
Highway 61 is offline   Reply With Quote