The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-17-2007, 12:31 AM   #71
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Look at BMW. They sell more than enough cars and they have no fancy names. their ALL numbers. Engine size, and then M(insert number) for series of race spec cars.

They seem to have a good thing and everyone recognizes GTP, Grand Prix, G8, G6, etc. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If their sales start dropping, you can be sure they'll start coming up with new names REAL FAST.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:39 AM   #72
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I wouldn't be surprised if the vibe and solstice get renamed to the G3 and G4 (no particular order). and call the torrent the G10, leaving some room for a larger car than the G8 (the G9 . . . )

One question remains though, why on earth did Pontiac go with G# for naming their cars?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:40 AM   #73
WillInThe04Ranger

Drives: 04 Ranger, 95 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to WillInThe04Ranger
I still think it looks like a benz in the first link, my friend says it looks like a sunfire
Old 12-17-2007, 01:19 AM   #74
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Luxury cars have gone with non-names for a while now, and Cadillac finally jumped on board. Personally I hate it. A name is part of the car's personality. Oh and BMW's numbers have no relation to engine sizes or output. Benzes sometimes do and sometimes don't. Same with most other manufacturers. The only one that is always consistent is Audi, and that pattern seems to be exactly what Pontiac is following. Interesting that both Pontiac's and Audi's roadsters are the ones that don't follow with the letter-number naming scheme.

As far as I know the Vibe and Torrent are likely on the chopping block as Pontiac moves towards strictly RWD performance cars. With the new CAFE regulations we may see the Vibe and the G6 stick around, but I don't think the Torrent will last much longer, what with the new Chevy Lamda, rumored Chevy and Saturn rebadges of the Zafira (so much for limiting badge engineering), and the addition of the G8 wagon and Ute to Pontiac's lineup. I think GM will have quite enough utility to afford killing off the Torrent.

As far as renaming existing models, it hasn't worked out too well for Ford so far, so I don't think it is very likely. Pretty much the only renamed Ford model that has done better is the Zephyr/MXZ.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:25 PM   #75
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
GeeWizz anyone else hate them G Names?

Gee Wizz Pontiac, Enough with the G names.... Lets go back to Bonneville, Ventura, Tempest, GTO, LeMans, Firebird (can't go back to the old Indian names, that is not PC.. but I am surprised someone has not objected to the name Pontiac).
Those G-names remind me of the bad old days, remember the J-2000, T-1000, 6000LE (sometimes called a Goolie).
sorry now back to the regular Topic
Old 12-17-2007, 09:38 PM   #76
stovt001

I agree. In fact as cool as the old names would be, it would also be cool if they came up with entirely new names. Show them that its an entirely new car, and they're not stuck in the past. My favorite Pontiac names were Bonneville and Tempest. Catalina was good, but I think that would be more fitting for a Buick now. It just sounds like a comfortable, sophisticated, semi-luxurious car, for some reason.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #77
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
GTO concept car, look like the camaro a bit

well you cant say that this looks like the camaro

http://www.automotive.com/future-car...gto/index.html

discuss
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #78
balonywolf

Drives: 1996 Jeep Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to balonywolf
Isn't that from 2005?
Old 04-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #79
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

no thats not the 05' lol too retro to me, this is the one your talking about:
Old 04-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #80
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Trust me Muscle Master, any article dated within the last two days about pretty much anything GM has probably been brought up
Old 04-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #81
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

your right but I saw a photo last month of the grand am concept that looked exactly like the photo (not the 05') above but it had the front end of the camaro, cant find the damn site with the info and the real photo though I'm still looking it was being develop in germany somewhere
Old 04-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #82
balonywolf

Drives: 1996 Jeep Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to balonywolf
The article you posted was written in 2005. Hell, it refers to the January 2006 auto show in the future tense. Anything recent you've seen has been a photoshop of the Camaro, or an original artist rednering. Either way, it's all just wishful thinking and speculation.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:57 PM   #83
stovt001

The Trans Am / Firebird and GTO are not coming back. Its been confirmed 100 times. Any pictures you find of them are just illustrations or photoshops and are probably 2-3 years old.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:10 AM   #84
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
The Trans Am / Firebird and GTO are not coming back. Its been confirmed 100 times. Any pictures you find of them are just illustrations or photoshops and are probably 2-3 years old.
As I understand it, thats not 100% true. There is still a chance that one or the other could come back. However it is unlikely to see either one, and most shots you find are either old or photoshops.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote