Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 03-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #57
LWM

Drives: #54 ZL 550 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS,GIF
Totally different...............My ZL 550 (with SLP headers/crossover) is pretty quick......My better half's 2011 GS Vette is a totally different ride. Shortly ...the GS will visit Lingenfelter for the 670 HP package....then we can really have a chat on who rules the block!
LWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #58
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
Z06 for the win.... Cant tell you how I know :(

Old 03-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #59
Longbow

Drives: 2012 Corvette
Had pretty much the same dilemna, only I was comparing the new '12 to the new '12. After driving both and looking at them side by side I opted for the 'vette. In my opninion, the Camaro's are getting to be a dime a dozen, whereas the 'vettes are more rare and probably always will be. That is just my opinion in the area that I live, your's may be different. Also, mine is a daily driver and I have no problems with comfort or anything else.
My advice is, look at everything folks here have to say, think it over, and go with your heart. Either way, you won't be wrong, they are both beautiful cars!
Longbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:08 AM   #60
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Obviously I went with the Z06; however, if this was another time or place I might be looking at a new ZL1 instead.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #61
Sweet Zness
Because I Can

Drives: 08 IOM G8GT 11 Victory Red SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 View Post
I can get a used, low mile, C6 Z06 for the price of a brand new SS. Vette > Camaro stock for stock, and mod for mod in the 1/4.

Only reason I got my Camaro is because I love how they look, and the mod bug bit me and I can't seem to find a cure.
Almost sold her for a 08 Jet Stream Blue Z06, but I sold my Cadillac a few years back and still regret that..I don't want to end up regretting selling this one either.

A little while back I posted a local dealership that was selling brand new C6's for 39900. Cheaper than a 2SS with Roof and polished wheels.
Sweet Zness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #62
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
I have a 2011 Grand Sport and a 2011 SS....if I could only have just one then I think I would go with the SS. Much more comfortable car.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #63
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
Thats insane. Why waste your time on a "deal" if you dont even like the car. When I got mine, the guy came out with the key and asked if I wanted to drive it...
I remember when I went and bought my Camaro. I had already got approved for the camaro and was waiting on paperwork to be ready. Well I kept telling the salesman that the blue 2009 z06 they had was damn gorgeous. Needless to say he gave me the keys and said take it for a spin, but try and be back in 30 so I could sign the papers to take the camaro home lol. <3 my dealership.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #64
JWMotoring

Drives: 2018 SS Hyper Blue
OP did you get the Vette yet?
JWMotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #65
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'd advise you to drive both cars before making up you mind.

My neighbor who alway wanted a Vette ran out and purchased one without spending much time behind the wheel. After a couple months of driving the Vette, he couldn't take it any more.
He said he just didn't like the ride quality and seating postition so he sold the car.
BTW is really loves the Camaro and has spent a lot of time checking out my car. The Camaro has a softer ride and the seating postition is higher up (not sitting on the floor).

I love Vettes, but I really don't want one for the same reasons my neighbor sold his.

Besides the Camaro has a back seat that can fold down to hold lots of stuff. I can fit my 6'5" surfboard in my car. I also put 4 tires in my car/trunk with the seats folded down. That's something you definitely can't do in a Vette.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #66
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Vettes are hot for sure, but I felt the Camaro had more "personality" I wanted a Camaro from the time I was 16 years old. 2 years ago (12 years later) I finally had the means to do it. I seriously considered a new Vette, but I could only afford the base model at the time. And many people would disagree with this statement... but I'm not about to buy someone elses used car, regardless of how much money I can save. I know I take care of my cars, but I wouldn't expect anyone to take my word for it either. I don't know the previous owner, don't know if it was broken in properly, don't know how it was driven... even if it checks out and still has a warranty, doesn't mean that someone's abuse will show up right away. Peace of mind for me. If my car breaks, it will be my fault and nobody elses.
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #67
gcope63

Drives: 2007 Corvette, 2004 Grand Prix GTP
Haven't got one yet, it will be a few months before I pull the trigger, paying off two toys in the next 4 months, after that its time to decide..

That give me plenty of time to look around and drive both.. Still want to checkout a 6 spd manual Vette.. Really liked the automatic I drove so we'll see.. It was a little uncomfortable when I drove the C6 but I have sat in others that were very comfortable so I suspect I just needed to make some seat adjustments.. Was more interested in firing it up and going for a ride then worrying about the seat..

At this point it is looking like either a '07 Lemans Blue or '08 Victory Red C6... Should be able to get either one for around $30k with lower mileage.

Still waiting to see what Chevrolet comes out with on the Camaro for '13 but doubt there will be enough of a change to rethink but you never know..

Thanks everyone for the input!!

Gary
gcope63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #68
Vette TPI

Drives: 1987 Corvette TPI
I got Nicky for my first car. And it's honestly better than all the other options I had. And I'm a small guy at 5'5" so both cars are great. But at 6 foot it becomes a pain in the Corvette. If I had the funds I would get the c6 and the camaro ss. I felt very comfortable test driving a c6 drop top grand sport. Honestly a good car to make daily commutes like in Nicky. But road trips I would love to have the Camaro for extra space.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #69
Cap'n Pete

Drives: '02 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Camaro. I'd never drive a Corvette across country. But that's just me.

The Camaro really is a cruiser.
The Vette is a rocket meant for short rides.
I can't say I agree with that. My wife and I took a ~3000 mile round-trip to the east coast of Canada a couple years ago in my 2010 C6 (base coupe). Except for a couple LONG driving stints (~10+hrs) where my neck and shoulders would eventually get sore for the monotony of driving TOO LONG, we were perfectly fine in the car for the whole trip . Although "snug", it fit two large suit-cases, a case of water, and a small bin of "miscellaneous" items (snacks, etc.), no problem. The rear cargo area is really NOT that bad in the 'Vette ... and with the huge hatch lid (similar to the 4th-gen F-Bodies), it's super easy getting stuff in and out (although you're restricted to height ..... tall items - ie: a full size cooler - have to be as far forward, otherwise they won't fit under the glass).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhintz20 View Post
Flawless logic (re: bigger car - Camaro - safer in crash than Corvette)
Without having all the results of GM's crash-test results, I don't think any of us can "guess" which car would stand up better in a crash, but all I know is, the B-pillar of the 'Vette is super strong (there are a number of incidents of cars rolling on their roof at the race track, and the drivers walking away un-scathed). I think the 'Vette is an extremely well-built car, and given its intended purpose in life, I think that structure and safety are two very prominent aspects of its design.

THAT being said, I know that GM put a lot of time into designing the Camaro to be as safe as it could be, so it could be best-in-class. I truly believe it is a solid, equally well-built car as the 'Vette. Ultimately, I really don't think that either car is significantly "better" than the other, in terms of safety.

My overall impression between the Camaro and Corvette (which one would I choose?) ... it depends!!!

My base '10 C6 was a BEAUTIFUL car to drive. Absolutely awesome. Plenty of power, of course, great handling, SMOOTH and QUIET inside, and just overall a pleasure to drive.

My Z06 (traded up from the base C6) is insane!! If power and performance is what you're after, this is the car for you. Also, if you don't mind the tires lighting up for almost no reason at all (even at ~80 MPH on dry roads!!!), this is the car for you. If you don't mind feeling every bump and every pot-hole on the road, this is the car for you. If you actually USE your car for the track (like I do), this is the car for you. But if you just want a NICE, everyday driver, this may NOT be the car for you. I would be far less inclined to take the Z06 across country as I was to take the base C6. I don't think a Grand Sport would be any different either, since it's running on the same suspension as the Z06.

As for the Camaro, while I have a limited amount of seat time in the 5th-gen, I have driven a couple enough to say that ride-for-ride, handling-for-handling, comfort-wise, etc., the Camaro and base C6 are very "similar" and on-par with each other. ie: if you want a nice, comfy "cruiser", you'll get it with either.

The differences in the car that I can see are the obvious things (stock-for-stock of course): 2-seater vs. 4-seater, and all out sports car vs. bulkier muscle car.

I bought my 'Vette(s) because I'm very much into going to the road course with my car(s), and up until now, it's just been my wife and I, so a 2-seater worked fine. However, now we have a baby on the way, so for me, I'm considering getting rid of the Z06 (sadly :() and possibly getting a Camaro (since I can actually put a kid in the back ).

Ok, there's my (lengthy!) $.02 .
Cap'n Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #70
gcope63

Drives: 2007 Corvette, 2004 Grand Prix GTP
Have been able to checkout several Corvettes, still only driven one but so far I am having a hard time getting comfortable in the ones I have tried.. Skinny I am not so I think this may be an issue with the Corvette and with it being somewhat of a DD it should be comfortable. With Chevy coming out with the 1LE and the interior upgrades it is making this a lot harder decision! I am curious to see how the prices are for the 2013 Camaro's..
gcope63 is offline   Reply With Quote