The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 10-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
royis

Drives: It's yellow
PLEASE HELP. Springs snapping sound.

Hello
I recently purchase a c7 z51 and once I drove out the lot in the corvette museum. I noticed if I ever turning the steering wheel all the way to the right or left and have the car rolling about 5mph. I will hear and feel the spring was snapping a bit. At first I thought the car is brand new and the springs and shocks haven't settle yet. But every time i reverse my car out of my garage with with my steering turn all the way, i will hear the snapping. My currently have 800 miles so its still in break in period. Anyone know what is happening or should I bring it back to the dealer?
royis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
mowilson329

Drives: 2014 Stingray 1LT/Z51
Royis,

Are you confident that its the springs and not the "wheel hop" from your tires??

Read this thread and see if issues are the same:
http://www.corvette7.com/forums/show...ight=wheel+hop
Old 10-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
RottenII

Drives: 2014 C7 1LT Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowilson329 View Post
Royis,

Are you confident that its the springs and not the "wheel hop" from your tires??

Read this thread and see if issues are the same:
http://www.corvette7.com/forums/show...ight=wheel+hop
Bet it's this. Mine does it when turning really sharp to pull into my garage on my concrete drive. First time was a bit surprising but now I consider it normal.
RottenII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
royis

Drives: It's yellow
people said it might be tire chatter. once the tire warm up i don't hear it anymore.
royis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:58 PM   #5
jrock

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Definitely tire chatter.......GM should instruct all their salesman to tell anyone who buys a Corvette about the tire chatter. Not a good thing when most of the new owners think there's something seriously wrong with their car early on.
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:19 AM   #6
purpleRac3r

Drives: 1974 & 2014 Corvette Stingrays
Yep, tire chatter. You can minimize it by not turning the steering quite all the way, but probably won't eliminate it completely. Warmer weather will soften the tires enough you shouldn't notice it much, but in cooler weather it can be very pronounced. It's caused by a combination of the stiff run-flat tire sidewalls, the tire's rubber compound and width and the suspension geometry. Other performance cars are known to experience the same issue, you just don't hear about it much.

If it really bothers you, you can install a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 all season tires and it goes away.
'74 Stingray coupe, heavily modified, as seen in August 2011 VETTE magazine, 2014 Stingray Z51 #196, ordered 02/11/13, built 08/29/13, Museum Delivery 10/04/13, driven daily!

purpleRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote