The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > LT1 (6.2L V8) Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions

Old 07-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Chris@Livernois

Drives: 2010 Camaro
2014 LT1/Gen 5 engine development well underway at Livernois Motorsports

We here at Livernois Motorsports wanted to share something with the message boards that we've been holding on to for a number of months now…. While others have just now started to get vehicles in hand, we have been doing something much more in depth, we have been doing R&D on the new Gen5/LT series of engines. We can't quite tell you exactly what specific items we are working on making for it, but we can say that the future looks very bright for this engine family, and it's power potential. In addition to the engines we have at our disposal, we also have a 5.3L Silverado that we have already baseline dyno'd and have been starting to work out an improved calibration as we speak.

For you Corvette lovers in our fan base, we haven't forgotten about you. We do have a 2014 Arctic White Z51 on order with the 7-speed manual that we should be seeing sometime in the near future. But, for the impatient among us we already have a 6.2 engine to play with to keep us busy. We are definitely excited about tearing into the car and seeing how far we can take it based off of what we have already learned from the engine alone.

2014 Chevrolet Silverado - YouTube

Chris@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Chris@Livernois

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Dan also finished up tuning our 2014 5.3L Chevrolet Silverado. Numbers are pretty impressive for a bone stock engine with some tuning and fuel!

Green=baseline 87 octane
Red= 87 performance
Blue= 93 performance
Remember this is a bone stock engine, only things changed were the tune and fuel!
Chris@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
bluexlr

Drives: 2017 rs coupe V6 auto B&W int h.blu
Can't wait to see that 5.3 in the 2015 vette.
bluexlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Model year 2016 in the showroom fall 2015. My guess.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
PBone

Can't wait to see what you guys will do with the new motor!
PBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
Hancock

Drives: Blk Z51 NPP J6F Q7T Red Interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluexlr View Post
Can't wait to see that 5.3 in the 2015 vette.
I have to admit, it will disappoint me a bit to see a lower entry level Corvette. Part of the reason the corvette appeals to me is it's relative rarity. I don't find it satisfying to have a car that I see everywhere. If you're excited about it because it gives you an opportunity to get one, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but it does take something pretty big out of the Corvette name to have it be too attainable. IMO.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
Daniel Berthiame

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS. 2010 Chrysler 300C

I agree completely! I CAN see 2 mustangs at every light in Montréal. Dont want that for Corvette
Old 07-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Berthiame View Post

I agree completely! I CAN see 2 mustangs at every light in Montréal. Dont want that for Corvette
I'm glad I am not the only one. Chevy should tweak the camaro to get higher sales numbers, not make the Corvette a volume seller. I think that would be a complete disaster. I'd never buy another.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
laborsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock View Post
I'm glad I am not the only one. Chevy should tweak the camaro to get higher sales numbers, not make the Corvette a volume seller. I think that would be a complete disaster. I'd never buy another.
I admit I do not fully understand the coming carbon foot print standards, which go into effect around 2016, but based on what I understand, the standard will be vehicle specific, so an interesting choice for GM is up ahead: do what is needed to make a vehicle line meet the standard or drop that line.

I believe the Stingray as we now know it comes close if not meeting the standard (we will not know until we get the official government report) but if does not meet the future standard, going to a smaller displacement engine could be what is needed to keep the Corvette in production. This could be why the Stingray is a wide body therefore heavier version of the Corvette.

I personally have no doubt the 5.3L will be an engine choice for the Corvette vehicle line. I do not believe it will be a budget offering, but will be in a regular width body with front and rear differences to make sure it is not confused with the Stingray.

I do not see GM dropping the Corvette vehicle line since they were willing to keep it going even in 2010 and 2011 when they had trouble selling 12,000 units. I am pretty sure the gas guzzler tax will not be enough, but come 2016 we will know if my guess is on target.

Laborsmith
Old 07-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
I admit I do not fully understand the coming carbon foot print standards, which go into effect around 2016, but based on what I understand, the standard will be vehicle specific, so an interesting choice for GM is up ahead: do what is needed to make a vehicle line meet the standard or drop that line.

I believe the Stingray as we now know it comes close if not meeting the standard (we will not know until we get the official government report) but if does not meet the future standard, going to a smaller displacement engine could be what is needed to keep the Corvette in production. This could be why the Stingray is a wide body therefore heavier version of the Corvette.

I personally have no doubt the 5.3L will be an engine choice for the Corvette vehicle line. I do not believe it will be a budget offering, but will be in a regular width body with front and rear differences to make sure it is not confused with the Stingray.

I do not see GM dropping the Corvette vehicle line since they were willing to keep it going even in 2010 and 2011 when they had trouble selling 12,000 units. I am pretty sure the gas guzzler tax will not be enough, but come 2016 we will know if my guess is on target.

Laborsmith
This will help you understand the EPA guidelines.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...cafe-standards

Being wider does help them by needing to meet a lower number. But, they can also average out vehicles like the Corvette with their economy vehicles, or even buy the MPG surplus of say Hyundai. Not sure what that would mean for the bottom line, but my take away from that article is that 2016 is not the doomsday that some make it out to be, and we will in fact continue to see automakers be able to use high output V8's in their vehicles.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
laborsmith

Recall both 2013 Coupe (regular body) and Grand Sport (wide body) share the same wheel base although the GS does have a wider track in the front.

C&D not withstanding, it is my understanding that the averaging is along different models in the same vehicle line and not across all models by a single manufacturer, unlike todays standards that allow the Cruze etc. vehicle line to be included with the Corvettes.

Although I am often skeptical of C&D, I somehow find their summary of the hundreds of pages to support my theory as to why there will be a regular body Corvette introduced into the mix, probably in 2016.

I do not see the 2016 regs as being the end of the world, but I do see vehicle manufacturers adjusting their designs to meet the standards. I just happen to believe one adjustment Chevy will take is a regular body Corvette with a more fuel efficient (therefore most likely a smaller displacement) engine.

Although Ferrari is cutting back to 7000 units a year, it would be a very good alternative to a Corvette if a buyer were to decide they could never buy another Corvette for any reason. Why recommend Ferrari? Ferrari is an Italian version of the name Smith!

Laborsmith
Old 07-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #12
Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
Recall both 2013 Coupe (regular body) and Grand Sport (wide body) share the same wheel base although the GS does have a wider track in the front.

C&D not withstanding, it is my understanding that the averaging is along different models in the same vehicle line and not across all models by a single manufacturer, unlike todays standards that allow the Cruze etc. vehicle line to be included with the Corvettes.

Although I am often skeptical of C&D, I somehow find their summary of the hundreds of pages to support my theory as to why there will be a regular body Corvette introduced into the mix, probably in 2016.

I do not see the 2016 regs as being the end of the world, but I do see vehicle manufacturers adjusting their designs to meet the standards. I just happen to believe one adjustment Chevy will take is a regular body Corvette with a more fuel efficient (therefore most likely a smaller displacement) engine.

Although Ferrari is cutting back to 7000 units a year, it would be a very good alternative to a Corvette if a buyer were to decide they could never buy another Corvette for any reason. Why recommend Ferrari? Ferrari is an Italian version of the name Smith!

Laborsmith
As you seem to be on a regular basis around here, you are right again. I just that the 5.3 is plenty strong for some serious modifications.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock View Post
As you seem to be on a regular basis around here, you are right again. I just that the 5.3 is plenty strong for some serious modifications.
Yes it is plenty strong a fully stock 5.3 with just a preliminary 93 octane tune made 321 RWHP and 350 LB FT of TQ. Plenty of room to add HP and TQ with CAI, exhaust, headers, etc... Stay tuned for more developments! -Chris
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote