#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-01-2023, 06:59 PM   #15
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwords View Post
I know I won’t change the minds of people who REALLY want to hate the GT350/GT350R, especially the self taught internet engineers who are experts in the FPC design. But I’ll make a few observations. If you just want to hate the GT350 don’t bother reading below.

1. The voodoo engine “failures” have been primarily related to oil consumption, like jvandy50 experienced. How the Internet engineers are attributing oil consumption to the excessive vibrations of the voodoo motor is beyond me. No doubt they have a way of getting there, while ignoring the much advertised low tension piston rings that were used in the earlier motors.
2. Prior to 2019, there were internal differences between the regular GT350 and GT350R engines. The oil consumption issues appear to have been more heavily concentrated in the regular GT350s, but without any actual data it’s hard to tell.
3. Ford made rolling changes to the voodoo over the years, including different piston rings, starting sometime in the 2018 model year.
4. Starting in 2019 all voodoo motors used the Predator block, which included, among other things, internal venting in the crankcase to balance out the crankcase pressures which may have been a contributing factor to the oil consumption in earlier years.
5. Oil consumption in the 2019 and 2020 model years has not been an issue. If it was, people would be screaming about it from the metaphorical mountain tops. Seems they got that issue figured out.
6. Actual failures (i.e. rapid disassembly) in the 2019 and 2020 engines has been relatively limited, and mostly concentrated among track rats. Have the failures been above average for comparable vehicles? If only some internet engineer could tell us…

If you read this far but are dead set on hating the GT350, you still hate the GT350 because that’s your goal. If I were in jvandy50’s shoes, I would definitely be turned off by the GT350. On the flip side, my GT350R ownership experience has been great, and the car is an absolute dream to drive.

Finally, if you are considering buying at ZL1/ZLE and read the oil pump failure thread on this site, you probably think all 2018 and prior LT4s are ticking time bombs.
i appreciate you not getting defensive and actually reading what i went through lol...it made a lifelong mustang fan go elsewhere. then, unlike you, people telling those of us having issues(as you said, they were rampant in the 18 and under motors) that we were full of it, only added to the madness. people really thought you could leak 10 qts in 3500mi and not notice any puddles.

once i found out the gt500 would not have a manual option, over to camaro land i went.

*i do fully admit to tinkering with the idea of a gt500 though, but mostly because my local road course closed...and they are hawt
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:23 PM   #16
Schlok

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #397 2022 ZL1 #1799
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
i appreciate you not getting defensive and actually reading what i went through lol...it made a lifelong mustang fan go elsewhere. then, unlike you, people telling those of us having issues(as you said, they were rampant in the 18 and under motors) that we were full of it, only added to the madness. people really thought you could leak 10 qts in 3500mi and not notice any puddles.

once i found out the gt500 would not have a manual option, over to camaro land i went.

*i do fully admit to tinkering with the idea of a gt500 though, but mostly because my local road course closed...and they are hawt
There is a company that will do a TR6060 swap into a GT500, you could then resell the Tremec DCT....just saying....
Schlok is offline   Reply With Quote