Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-07-2009, 06:59 AM   #1
earn88hardt

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro SS
RS package

For everyone that ordered the RS package the fog lights function as the daytime running lights only there is no button to turn them on or off thats why I DIDN'T order it just thought I would throw that out there.
earn88hardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
Sean_W

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS
Regardless of what car you have, if it has DRL (and no matter where they are), they can can not be turned off or on. I would rather have DRL's in the foglamps than the actual headlights. I still don't quite get the whole DRL thing. Lights on in the daytime? Never quite understood that, but then again, I'm not the U.S. Goverment making these regulations.

If you don't get the RS, they will be in the headlighst then.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
Tantalizer43

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I think thats a good thing. Halogen fog lamps would look goofy lit up at the same time as HID headlights... Just my opinion
Old 03-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #4
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
My Avalanche DRLs can be turned off. Or is this just a Camaro thing....

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #5
JBsC6

Drives: 2008 Blk C6 Z51 NPP
I believe the running light thing is because the government feels that other drivers can see a car with its lights on even during the day better than they can for cars without daytime running lights..

The fog lights usually have a rotating switch on the left drivers stalk to control fog lights function...

How did you order up your car and what was the final MSRP?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:26 AM   #6
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Regardless of what car you have, if it has DRL (and no matter where they are), they can can not be turned off or on. I would rather have DRL's in the foglamps than the actual headlights. I still don't quite get the whole DRL thing. Lights on in the daytime? Never quite understood that, but then again, I'm not the U.S. Goverment making these regulations.

If you don't get the RS, they will be in the headlighst then.
The DRL's on the non RS cars are the signal lights, not the headlights - just like on the 4th gens.

The reason for headlights in the daytime is that it has been statistically proven that they prevent head-on collisions. When you are reaching over to the radio or looking away from the street, your peripheral vision can pick up a car with it's lights on much quicker during the day then a car without lights. Besides, I think it looks good when car companies use the parking lights instead of the headlights.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:31 AM   #7
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
I figured they were starting to use DRLs for all the people that forget or just don't turn their head lights on when it rains or snows. . .lol. how hard is it to see other cars with out lights on when you are going down the road and it's pooring?
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
marticus24

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I hope that's not true... I like using the fog lights on my GP. And you turn off the DRL on it by rotating the headlamp ring backwards and turn on the fog lights with their own ring... both on the turn signal stick.
marticus24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:56 AM   #9
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Read this thread http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8240 or any of about 3 others that talk in detail about what are indeed the DRLs on which models. I believe you will find that the DRLs on the RS cars are the foglights, not the marker or turn signal lights.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #10
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
The reason for headlights in the daytime is that it has been statistically proven that they prevent head-on collisions. When you are reaching over to the radio or looking away from the street, your peripheral vision can pick up a car with it's lights on much quicker during the day then a car without lights. Besides, I think it looks good when car companies use the parking lights instead of the headlights.
Ummm...no. Research, such as this, does not "prove" anything; the results only support the hypothesis. The study conducted by GM is methodologically lacking and does not do a good job with their pair-wise comparisons. They seemed to have taken a matched-assignment procedure, but failed to control for a number of other variables. The fact that GM had a vested interest in DRL's and was pushing for a federal mandate on them calls into question their objectivity.

A large-scale study by the Highway Loss Data Institute showed that "vehicles equipped with DRLs were involved in more accidents than similar vehicles without DRLs. The difference was minimal, but the meaning was straight forward, DRLs aggravate other motorists, obscure directional lights, "mask" other road users that don't have headlights on, or don't have headlights period (pedestrians and bicyclists) and their net effect on accident reduction is zero or worse."
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #11
undrcop2010

Drives: 1LT/RS SIM
i have a question, many of the photos i've seen that i believe to have an RS package, have a button with the foglamp symbol so wouldnt i be able to just push the button to turn them off, or if there on all the time like someone said there will be no button to turn them off?
Old 03-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #12
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
DRLs can be turned off. Not ordering an RS only because you thought they couldn't be was a mistake.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I would think you can...you can turn them off in my '07 Malibu. You just rotate the switch to the "Off" position and the DRLs turn off.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #14
earn88hardt

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro SS
This is what I was trying to say If you have the RS package you do not have the function of fog lights any time even at night there is no button or knob to turn them on
earn88hardt is offline   Reply With Quote