Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

View Poll Results: Would you want hideaway headlights?
Yes 264 69.84%
No 114 30.16%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2006, 06:25 PM   #29
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
well that's most of the time just the motor going out and that's usually cheap and easy to fix. just people won't fix it. . .they are lazy.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:57 PM   #30
CMCVette

Drives: 04 Commemorative Corvette
Bring on the hideaways! Love 'em on my vette - in the "real world," no way do pop-ups detract from performance, & they look awesome. At least let's hope GM will consider them as an option. However, I must agree that the car looks awesome with or without them ~ but PLEASE, GM, give us HIDs at an option, regardless!
CMCVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #31
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCVette View Post
Bring on the hideaways! Love 'em on my vette - in the "real world," no way do pop-ups detract from performance, & they look awesome. At least let's hope GM will consider them as an option. However, I must agree that the car looks awesome with or without them ~ but PLEASE, GM, give us HIDs at an option, regardless!
This day in age most enthusiast type cars are at least offered with HID as options. I think we'll get it with the new Camaro too.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:46 PM   #32
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
i dunno about that look. I think I would have to actually see how it looks in person before nmaking a decision; however, if they offer the halos as standard equipment then there is no way i'd want the hideaways. IMO nothing beats the mean look of those halos!
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:52 AM   #33
Friday13th

Drives: 83 Prostreet S-10
Someone will build them.

How hard could it be? A piece of plastic to cover the light, a hinge to mount it and a linear actuator wired to your headlight switch.

When you turn your headlights on, the door opens and the lights are on, When the lights are off in the day, the door stays closed.

ENOUGH SAID, MAKE THEM AN OPTION!!!!!!!!!!
Friday13th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:08 AM   #34
WildKatB
'69 SS/RS 350

Drives: '69 LeMans Blue SS/RS Camaro
I love the look of the hide-away headlights on my '69 but... they dont work :( . Mine uses vacuum to open and close and has worked only once since I've owned it. Every RS owner I know has the same problem whether the light's doors are vacuum or electric-motor driven. I've had the set-up rebuilt 2x without luck. A guy I know who shows his '69 Camaro keeps the doors open and unplugged until showtime so they'll (hopefully) work when the judge is looking at the car. I totally understand GM's concern about 'customer satisfaction' problems. However, I did see a rendering of a possible 2009 Camaro convertable styled after the '69 Pace Car - white, orange stripes, hidden headlights - GORGEOUS!
WildKatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:16 PM   #35
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKatB View Post
I love the look of the hide-away headlights on my '69 but... they dont work :( . Mine uses vacuum to open and close and has worked only once since I've owned it. Every RS owner I know has the same problem whether the light's doors are vacuum or electric-motor driven. I've had the set-up rebuilt 2x without luck. A guy I know who shows his '69 Camaro keeps the doors open and unplugged until showtime so they'll (hopefully) work when the judge is looking at the car. I totally understand GM's concern about 'customer satisfaction' problems. However, I did see a rendering of a possible 2009 Camaro convertable styled after the '69 Pace Car - white, orange stripes, hidden headlights - GORGEOUS!
WildKatB your reasons are pretty much why the new Camaro doesn't have hideaways...possible problems with operation, as well as new customers complainig "They aren't aligned properly", etc. GM went with a good, clean looking design and avoided possible "issues" down the road.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:28 PM   #36
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
If they could build reliable hideaways, I'd take them in a heartbeat. We are in a day and age where "reliable" is very possible.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:47 PM   #37
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
If they could build reliable hideaways, I'd take them in a heartbeat. We are in a day and age where "reliable" is very possible.
I agree, the reliability of most vehicle systems has changed substantially from the 60’s and 70’s. The hidaways just need to be designed RTFT (Right The First Time)…
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:11 AM   #38
LowRider
LowRider

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 1996 S-10
Send a message via AIM to LowRider Send a message via Yahoo to LowRider
I can't agree more the Hide away headlights should be offered again.
LowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:52 AM   #39
Friday13th

Drives: 83 Prostreet S-10
Reliability shouldn't be a problem anymore.

I would hope that they would lean away from the vaccum systems that they used before.

I have a buddy that I helped change his hideaways and they work to this day.

Again, a linear actuator is the best answer in my opinion. A lot of folks use these for opening hoods, trunk lids, tonneau covers, amp racks, etc...

Plus, you can wire these to a remote control and you can open them at shows or whenever you want to show off.

You can also wire it into your parking/headlight switch and have it turn on and off automatically.

Easiest analogy I can give you is a retractable, power antenna. Think how the antenna is hidden and then when the power is supplied to the radio, the antenna rises. Likewise, when the power is turned off, the antenna folds back down.

I think it's easy enough.

They will build them!!!!!!!!!!! No reason not to. If they don't, an aftermarket company will.
Friday13th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:54 AM   #40
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
My bet; an aftermarket company may offer them. I highly doubt they'll come from GM that way.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:47 PM   #41
fierocamaro
69 Camaro lover

Drives: 1969 Camaro
I think an after market will pick up on these so fast it wont even be funny
fierocamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #42
LowRider
LowRider

Drives: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 1996 S-10
Send a message via AIM to LowRider Send a message via Yahoo to LowRider
Talking

Damn that is sweet. I want a Black one, w/silver stripes and big polished Aluminum wheels.W/black and silver interior.
LowRider is offline   Reply With Quote