Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-27-2015, 06:02 PM   #71
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansibe View Post
Hi guys,
I'm new to Camaros, having just bought a z28 - "zed" 28 in Canada!

Firstly I thought the video was great, very entertaining at a small cost of some goofiness. Screw the stereotypes, the flag drop was awesome! I'm glad MT still knows how to have fun.

I haven't raced cars, but I did race bikes and I think 1.1 seconds is quite a lot. I honestly don't think there's that much in a 2minute lap between these cars. The cars have equal peak power, but when you're accelerating off a corner you're almost never at the peak. The z28 should have a small advantage I think. When new, I think the Trofeos should equal the PSC2 for grip.

I can't believe there's much between these tires, but I think that's the difference. MT ran their long term z28 against a GT3 a while back, and the zed got crushed! No surprise, the GT3 has about the same power, weighs 500lbs less, and costs 3x as much. Interestingly, Probst says the z28 is uncharacteristically twitchy, and speculates the tires are done. I wonder if this comparo was done with the same car ...

I'm not a fan of 'track tires'. If you're racing, then fine, get a set. But I'm not. This type of tire is very temperature sensitive, and after they've heat cycled a few times they get hard and slippery. When my Trofeos are worn out, they'll be replaced by a set of PS Cup 2s, or maybe even PSS. For those of you who haven't tried PSS, they're a treat! Amazing grip, ok in the rain, and last forever (relative of course).
Welcome to the forum!

I also agree, it's a little too goofy, but still better than the too- serious videos other magazines make.

I'm hoping they made sure they have a fresh set, but I think it's indeed their long term Z/28 that they've used in other comparison tests, too.

The 6th gen is already coming in at 200 lighter, and it won't even need expensive mods to make it lighter. In other words, I think GM will easily beat it in their 6th gen track-oriented model, but we'll have to wait for a while.

My only concern is the engine. LS7 will obviously not be used in next gen, and GM does not currently have a similar engine in its latest engine lineup. LT1 does not have the top end, and LT4 is not the best for track. I have a feeling that GM might be hard at work for an "LT2"; we'll see.

FYI, LS7 has literally spanked GT350's Voodoo at dyno. It made almost identical power but only needed 7K power band to do so. If Z/28 was as light as the GT350R, it would be interesting to watch what happens.

Another FYI, PSS tires are great at the street since they warm up in no time, but pretty bad at the track since they quickly warm up as they always do, and then quickly overheat in a matter of few laps, killing all the fun. If you want to use it at the track, you might want to preserve your Trofeo Rs for the job
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:43 PM   #72
Steve1LE

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
I just looked at the Chuckwalla fast list and see that Randy, in a GT350 ran 2:0. In this test/video he ran a 1:59 in the Z28. I know the GT350R is faster but it looks to me like the Z28 is faster than the GT350.

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/chuckwalla-valley-raceway

Last edited by Steve1LE; 11-27-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Steve1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:50 PM   #73
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Merged

Next time you see something about the Z/28 you want to share, you might want to check the Z/28 section.
Considering it had to do with the GT350 as well I figured I'd put it into the 'Other' section. Noted anyway but didn't think it would be an issue.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:48 AM   #74
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I also agree, it's a little too goofy, but still better than the too- serious videos other magazines make.

I'm hoping they made sure they have a fresh set, but I think it's indeed their long term Z/28 that they've used in other comparison tests, too.

The 6th gen is already coming in at 200 lighter, and it won't even need expensive mods to make it lighter. In other words, I think GM will easily beat it in their 6th gen track-oriented model, but we'll have to wait for a while.

My only concern is the engine. LS7 will obviously not be used in next gen, and GM does not currently have a similar engine in its latest engine lineup. LT1 does not have the top end, and LT4 is not the best for track. I have a feeling that GM might be hard at work for an "LT2"; we'll see.

FYI, LS7 has literally spanked GT350's Voodoo at dyno. It made almost identical power but only needed 7K power band to do so. If Z/28 was as light as the GT350R, it would be interesting to watch what happens.

Another FYI, PSS tires are great at the street since they warm up in no time, but pretty bad at the track since they quickly warm up as they always do, and then quickly overheat in a matter of few laps, killing all the fun. If you want to use it at the track, you might want to preserve your Trofeo Rs for the job
Goofy yes but I just loved that cute lady in the white dress at the end, I had to pause the scene for a minute . Also I disagree about the LT1 not having high end pull. The C7 Z51 I rented felt like it had great mid to high end but not as good low end torque like my cammed LS3 does which I believe my exhaust setup takes credit for.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:01 AM   #75
L99CAMA2011

Cars.com highest price GT350 so far is at $108,340. I saw a couple in my area on the east coast and at Tasca in RI. I am going to check them out today. Still looking for the new Gen 6 Camaro at dealerships.

Last edited by L99CAMA2011; 11-28-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #76
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Never can get tired of this FPC's exhaust sounds.... even mildly cruising it sounds good. It's unique and both exotic & muscular at the same time. Heck I like it more than my Z06's growl.

Lights blinking on the windshield as you get high in the rev range. I wonder if this would eat my somewhat sport bike/ F1 muscular exhaust sound hmmm. You need to do a tunnel clip.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #77
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Cars.com highest price GT350 so far is at $108,340. I saw a couple in my area on the east coast and at Tasca in RI. I am going to check them out today. Still looking for the new Gen 6 Camaro at dealerships.
No thanks. I'll wait for the hype to slow down. The GT-350R will be all over the place.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #78
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2M View Post
Before I purchased my Z I tried to get a standard GT350 and was unable to. The standard GT350 is selling for 15k over sticker. To get the R you have to go to a selected "SVT" dealer and pay a minimum 15-20k over sticker ( they are all sold out at this point )

Lets do some reality math::

Z28, $75 -$20 = 55+ tax = around 60k and and is readily available

GT350R (as tested ) $67+ 15= 82+tax = around 84K and you aint getting one unless your last name is Ford..

That's why I own a Z28.. ^^

That's a $24K difference... Yeah...
The "Early Adopter" tax isn't worth quoting. Remember the first handful of buyers that paid $10-20K over MSRP for the Z28? Now, GM can't give the Z28's away for $20K UNDER MSRP.

Wait 6-12 months and you'll be able to pick up a GT350R at or under sticker. I don't think you'll see the price crater on the GT350R's like they did on the Z28's because Ford actually gave GT350R enthusiasts a nice interior, a great infotainment system, variable exhaust controls, backup camera, navigation and luxury looks/feels instead of plastic dashboards and a 1980's radio head unit like GM gave Z28 enthusiasts, but bear in mind the GT350R's MSRP is UNDER the Z28's for what is a vastly superior car in almost every way. Aside from the "subjective" things like aesthetics and sound, Ford outdid themselves, here.

I worry about the longevity of that motor, though. I don't imagine too many GT350R's seeing 100,000 miles, but then again the LS7 has the reputation of being one of GM's least reliable motors, too
Old 11-28-2015, 10:51 AM   #79
phillyflyer

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidCorsaro View Post
People tend to forget subtle details like tires and alignment differences, well within the noise of 1.5 seconds on track. The Shelby runs way more negative camber up front than the Chevy does from the factory.

This is dead nuts on! The Road and Track PCOTY article commented on the same thing. Proper camber and castor make a huge difference. I had a suspension tuner come out to work on my race car a few years ago and just some simple adjustments to the overall alignment knocked off over a second for me at Mid-Ohio.
phillyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #80
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Article said the gt350r was running hot along with the Vette.

Last edited by URBAN LEGEND; 11-28-2015 at 02:38 PM.
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #81
Doug Halsey
Toy Collector

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Why I bought a Z/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2M View Post
Before I purchased my Z I tried to get a standard GT350 and was unable to. The standard GT350 is selling for 15k over sticker. To get the R you have to go to a selected "SVT" dealer and pay a minimum 15-20k over sticker ( they are all sold out at this point )

Lets do some reality math::

Z28, $75 -$20 = 55+ tax = around 60k and and is readily available

GT350R (as tested ) $67+ 15= 82+tax = around 84K and you aint getting one unless your last name is Ford..

That's why I own a Z28.. ^^

That's a $24K difference... Yeah...
Same here! Even though my wife gets Ford family plan discounts (which Ford won't give for the GT350 - yet!), I went with the 2015 Z/28. I personally hate all the gadgets and tech on new cars (that why I traded 1st my Z06 and then my CTS-V Sport) and love the back to basics of the Z/28. It reminds me when I was young and drove a 1968 Camaro SS.

As many have mentioned, this is how the auto industry works and Ford is just now in the lead. For many car fans the fact that the GT350R is faster is just a point of bragging, because most of us are not going to ever push these cars to their limits.

For me it is about the ROI: #1 in exclusiveness of a car, #2 the ability of it to perform and #3 how visual appealing the car is. So for me the Z/28 still wins.

#1 there were only 1797 made
#2 The car won 2014 driver's car of the year!
#3 On the street, at the gas pump, etc. people still stare and come over and ask about my Z/28. Most don't even know or care that it is a Z/28 or how special it is.

I just don't think the GT350 will have this sorta draw.

In the long run I wish I would have waited for the price to drop even further (got my 2015 z/28 for 67,900), but I would still pick the Z/28 over the GT350R. I have loved the 5th gen ever since they showed it on Jay Leno's garage and I waited for the Z/28. No regrets here!!!

I may still one day get a GT350R, but it will depend on the price and what is out at the time. For now this argument over which is better is just a pissing contest for those who are just a little too competitive (like myself).

However, I have realized that there will always be something better Thank the FSM!

So for those of us lucky enough to own a Z/28, enjoy the view on your journey because while your are in a Z/28 you shouldn't be worried about the destination or the competition because this car will bring a smile to any car lovers face everyday you turn that key.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:32 PM   #82
Crushinator

Drives: '15 Z/28 #783
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
The "Early Adopter" tax isn't worth quoting. Remember the first handful of buyers that paid $10-20K over MSRP for the Z28? Now, GM can't give the Z28's away for $20K UNDER MSRP.

Wait 6-12 months and you'll be able to pick up a GT350R at or under sticker. I don't think you'll see the price crater on the GT350R's like they did on the Z28's because Ford actually gave GT350R enthusiasts a nice interior, a great infotainment system, variable exhaust controls, backup camera, navigation and luxury looks/feels instead of plastic dashboards and a 1980's radio head unit like GM gave Z28 enthusiasts, but bear in mind the GT350R's MSRP is UNDER the Z28's for what is a vastly superior car in almost every way. Aside from the "subjective" things like aesthetics and sound, Ford outdid themselves, here.

I worry about the longevity of that motor, though. I don't imagine too many GT350R's seeing 100,000 miles, but then again the LS7 has the reputation of being one of GM's least reliable motors, too
You don't own either, so who cares what you worry about.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #83
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushinator View Post
You don't own either, so who cares what you worry about.
I'm sorry, is that a question? So, in other words, ignore actual evidence to protect your personal bias? I notice you own a Z28, so I imagine the video posted bruises your ego a little. Objective opinions are more notable than biased opinions.

The great thing about the GT350R is it forces GM to up its game, and the amazing thing is even though the GT350R is better than the Z28, it isn't by much from strictly a performance standpoint. With the Alpha platform, GM will likely tear the GT350R to pieces from a performance standpoint with the 6th Gen. Now, what GM needs to do is provide a solid interior this time, not just track numbers. When the Z28 was released, they didn't have any direct competition, so the stripper interior isn't going to fly this time as the car will be judged more harshly by critics. 2017 should be an interesting year.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #84
Crushinator

Drives: '15 Z/28 #783
Doesn't bruise anything on me. But you sure annoy the shit out of everyone here. It's a shame too. You seem like an intelligent person, and your points are certainly valid.
You just come off as a dick the way you put them. That's why people here, have a problem with you.
Crushinator is offline   Reply With Quote