Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 08-19-2020, 05:41 PM   #1
Prostock

Drives: 2016 2SS
White SS ralley strips deteriorating

2016 2SS Factory strips looking terrible. Yes I live in Arizona sun and use a automatic car wash. Everyday driver. Is there a better product or should I eliminate them. If taken off, will I see whittness lines. Any input appreciated.
Thx Scot
Attached Images

Prostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:43 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostock View Post
2016 2SS Factory strips looking terrible. Yes I live in Arizona sun and use a automatic car wash. Everyday driver. Is there a better product or should I eliminate them. If taken off, will I see whittness lines. Any input appreciated.
Thx Scot
I'm going to guess if you take them off at this point you will see a difference in the paint where the stripes were...

Your best bet is to probably get them replaced.
After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:45 PM   #3
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I'm going to guess if you take them off at this point you will see a difference in the paint where the stripes were...

Your best bet is to probably get them replaced.
^^^^
I agree....
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:30 PM   #4
RWT

Drives: 2020 Camaro RS
Yes, you will have decal ghosting.

As to whether you should replace the stripes there's a couple considerations. First, do you like the stripes? If so, replace them. Second, you should have paint correction done in either case and proper paint correction may remove the ghosting.

So I would suggest removing them and get the paint corrected. If the correction eliminates the ghosting then you can chose between replacing the stripes or leaving it without. If the paint correction doesn't eliminate the ghosting then replace the stripes.

JMHO
No expertise implied or expressed.

2020 Camaro RS, V6, 6MT, Satin Steel
2020 Silverado, 5.3L CC, RST, Z71, Shadow Gray
2019 Equinox LS, 1.5L Turbo, Nightfall Gray Metallic
RWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:19 PM   #5
Prostock

Drives: 2016 2SS
Thinking about removing them and just having the stripes painted. Do you think I still would need paint correction or possibly making them approximately an 8th inch into the Black. I’m not a painter. would paint peel because of the line and or would it need to be clear coated . Don’t want to deal with this again in another 3 to 4 years.
Thx
Scot
Prostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:28 PM   #6
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Thinking about removing them and just having the stripes painted. Do you think I still would need paint correction or possibly making them approximately an 8th inch into the Black. I’m not a painter. would paint peel because of the line and or would it need to be clear coated . Don’t want to deal with this again in another 3 to 4 years.
Thx
Scot
They would have to paint the stripes and then clear the entire panel...
After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:46 PM   #7
RWT

Drives: 2020 Camaro RS
Quote:
Thx
Scot

I like the way you're thinking. I am not a fan of vinyl anything on a vehicle. Any stripe worth having is worth having painted (IMHO).

That said, it would not be easier or cheaper. Yes, it would still require paint correction. No professional painter with any integrity is going to paint over damaged/uncorrected paint (unless they're preserving patina). I imagine they would wet sand/prep your entire hood, paint your stripes then clear coat the entire hood.

Properly painted with high quality paints, the hood finish could outlast the rest of the original finish. A poor quality job with low quality paints won't outlast your vinyl.

Professional painting would be your most costly but most durable and best looking option.

The other consideration is post repair maintenance. The Arizona heat and sun are very hard on paint. A proper maintenance program can fend off future damage. Your paint needs protection or you'll just be chasing your tail.

No expertise implied or expressed

2020 Camaro RS, V6, 6MT, Satin Steel
2020 Silverado, 5.3L CC, RST, Z71, Shadow Gray
2019 Equinox LS, 1.5L Turbo, Nightfall Gray Metallic
RWT is offline   Reply With Quote