The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > C7 Ordering, Pricing, Order Tracking Discussions

Old 01-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
Jeff7

Drives: C7 2LT
How Did The Allocation System Start?

To my way of thinking, it shouldn't make a difference where an order is placed, as long as the dealer is authorized to sell a particular model. You place your order, get in line with other buyers, and when your number comes up, the car is built (subject to availability of parts; i.e. constraint). Yet from reading through the forum, it doesn't seem to work that way. People who order from certain dealers get their cars much more quickly.

Does anybody know the history of the allocation system? As a newbie, I'd like to learn about it.
Jeff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
not that complicated...Chev gives car to the guys that helped them sell the previous genration when other dealers told Chev to stuff it...that's the short version...

this may help a bit - and search the other 100 threads on this:

a dealer puts it in his computer on his end = code 1100 - at this point you don't have jack....

when Chev says the dealer has a "slot" and it matches your order - they ACCEPT IT and your code becomes 2000

At that point you are getting a car, before that...nothing....

So 1100 is you wrapping a package, and putting it on your doorstep and calling UPS

2000 is when the truck comes and picks it up, until then, your package can sit there forever...

I have said this before but the very best way to get info is from your dealer. Remind the SALES MANAGER - not your salesman, that you are going to get a survey when all is said and done and you want desperately to give them good scores...but you can't if you don't get the codes from them every few days via email at 10 am in the morning.

watch what happens, when you score the dealer low on the survey, it costs the sales department THOUSANDS of dollars.......

that being said, if you are contacting chevy, they very absolute best way - ABOVE ALL OTHERS - is see the chevy cust service people here - Kelly and Marrissa have access to more data that any other source. Kelly gave me my VIN A FULL WEEK before anyone else at chevy could give it to me….

Last edited by Glen e; 01-26-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Good summary of how it is, Glen e.

History of allocation: court suits. The most famous is Honda Dealers v Honda America. Many others. Chevrolet had its own problems and a couple of decades ago several manament (including regional business center bosses) were demoted due to favoritism in which dealers could get which cars with which colors/options.

The state franchise laws also impact but court suits are the reason for the system we have today: each allocation assignment is defendable in a court of law.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
Jeff7

Drives: C7 2LT
Thanks for the clear, concise summary, Glen. Laborsmith - your observations are appreciated as well.
Jeff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
markk

Drives: (someday) 2014 C7 Corvette Z51
All in jest, of course, but I rather think the allocation system was established by a troll under a bridge who enjoys seeing those of us who have ordered through small dealers suffer miserably while others receive their toys .....
markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk View Post
All in jest, of course, but I rather think the allocation system was established by a troll under a bridge who enjoys seeing those of us who have ordered through small dealers suffer miserably while others receive their toys .....
Wise decision. Makes the process reasonable and understandable.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote