Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #15
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
Seriously, I'm so sick of people with their "you shouldn't drive that fast, you should go to the track, blah blah blah cry cry cry crap!" It's a Camaro, don't act like you've never pushed it on the streets! You mean to tell me if you never go to the track, you're not going to floor it? Or drive fast for as long as you own it! Shut up!
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
MLAZ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:11 PM   #16
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLAZ1990 View Post
Seriously, I'm so sick of people with their "you shouldn't drive that fast, you should go to the track, blah blah blah cry cry cry crap!" It's a Camaro, don't act like you've never pushed it on the streets! You mean to tell me if you never go to the track, you're not going to floor it? Or drive fast for as long as you own it! Shut up!
To your point, a lot of people have been lucky to live through giving into that temptation of power and speed, and they came away from the experience unscathed. That's not always given, and people believe they are "safe" by enjoying their car like that only occasionally. The risk is always the same, and to not have an incident is sheer luck. Most people have no experience handling a car at those speeds, which makes the situation even worse.

It's behavior that shouldn't be encouraged or condoned and I'd think responsible Camaro owners would agree a lot of us aren't blameless by any means, but the older we get, we learn how to mitigate those risks and realize there were better ways of enjoying the power/speed of fast cars. Keep it at the track, don't be reckless or negligent. If you want to drive like that, great, go LEARN how to do it the proper way, but don't unleash your undeveloped test pilot skills on the street. Please.

Clearly we haven't been posting enough mangled Copart examples of Camaros torn to pieces and bagged with biohazard stickers lately. It starts to make sense when you witness or experience the trauma of an incident at high speed.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #17
Cody2399

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS, 2004 Dodge Ram 150
Has this thread really turned into a bash the op because he drove his camaro too fast thread? Jeeesh can we not have a single discussion without one person showing up trying to make another person feel like an asshole for enjoying themselves. How do we know that op was even driving around people? He could have been on a deserted road with only him and the open road.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:43 PM   #18
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody2399 View Post
Has this thread really turned into a bash the op because he drove his camaro too fast thread? Jeeesh can we not have a single discussion without one person showing up trying to make another person feel like an asshole for enjoying themselves. How do we know that op was even driving around people? He could have been on a deserted road with only him and the open road.
Thank you!!! Some people can't help it...evergreen cough cough...
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
MLAZ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #19
cjcamaro10

Drives: 2010 LS 6M
I've gone 145 on an open highway on a holiday with no cars, 140 on a a bike. All when I was in my early twenties. Now my thoughts are ,"What if I have a blow out?" , "Cops use aircraft in our area to send tickets." , and "This is not safe.".

Can't slam anybody for the same thing I've done. You can get a handheld programmer to,take the governor off and just change it back to stock if you have a failure that would cause the dealer to check the ecm.
cjcamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:05 AM   #20
halo8hkk

Drives: 2000 Z28. 2010 1SS IMB.
like most owners of fast cars i have exceeded the speed limit at some point in my life. so i have nothing to say about that, except if he was on a deserted back road that's ok in my book. he is only risking his own life and no one else. that's the only way i do it. but if you are on a road with other drivers i would prefer that you don't do that. as far as you question goes if you do change the speed limiter i would get tires that are rated for a higher speed. if you don't you could exceed the speed rating and could have a blowout.

For those saying keep it on a track. i dont know of any track that you can test the top speed of a car on except for some place like Bonneville salt flats?

2010 1SS/RS = Mysstique
Whipple Supercharger
Dyno= 618hp 555tq at the wheels
IMB Silver Stripes
VIN#44025
Born: 9/9/09 Delivered: 9/28/09
halo8hkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #21
Ernest T

Drives: 2014 RS
I know for a fact that my 1998 Honda Blackbird wouldn't come close to the purported top speed of 180 with this 210 lb. American on it. It might with a 60 kg. Japanese test rider, but I only got it to an indicated 170 on TX 118. With speedo error it was more like 155-160 in real life.
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #22
Ernest T

Drives: 2014 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by halo8hkk View Post
like most owners of fast cars i have exceeded the speed limit at some point in my life. so i have nothing to say about that, except if he was on a deserted back road that's ok in my book. he is only risking his own life and no one else. that's the only way i do it. but if you are on a road with other drivers i would prefer that you don't do that. as far as you question goes if you do change the speed limiter i would get tires that are rated for a higher speed. if you don't you could exceed the speed rating and could have a blowout.

For those saying keep it on a track. i dont know of any track that you can test the top speed of a car on except for some place like Bonneville salt flats?
Yeah most tracks aren't long enough to reach top speed in a car. Some motorcycles maybe.
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:26 AM   #23
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcamaro10 View Post
Can't slam anybody for the same thing I've done. You can get a handheld programmer to,take the governor off and just change it back to stock if you have a failure that would cause the dealer to check the ecm.
I believe there is a flash counter on the ECM and they would know that you did it.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #24
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody2399 View Post
Unless this was a closed road just for him, then it was not a deserted road.
Hate to bash OP when everyone's complaining that it's a bash-OP thread but being stupid... is stupid!

DON'T go get a tune
DON'T add power to your car
You are obviously not responsible enough to drive a car with that much power

I hope you know that your car is tracking how fast you go and saves that information in the computer regardless of whether you clear memory and disconnect the battery

Sheesh, with all the tickets people get for posting videos of them doing shit like this on youtube you'd think they could have enough information in your OP alone to open an investigate, check your Camaro's computer for evidence, and BAM there goes your license, your car, and you would be arrested
One day it'll be like that.

This is probably the coldest thing I'll say, I really hope you don't have a family. I hope you don't have any close friends. I hope you have no kids so long as you drive this way. Because you're obviously throwing them all a monkey wrench by driving like an idiot
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #25
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Guys, relax, he meant km. He was only doing like 70mph.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #26
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Guys, relax, he meant km. He was only doing like 70mph.
lol... that's what we need to have him do to pass his speed limiter. someone go change his DIC to metric and hopefully he only looks at numbers!

It always makes me feel like I'm going faster than I am... hits "60" so fast (;
Old 06-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #27
halo8hkk

Drives: 2000 Z28. 2010 1SS IMB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
Unless this was a closed road just for him, then it was not a deserted road.
Hate to bash OP when everyone's complaining that it's a bash-OP thread but being stupid... is stupid!

DON'T go get a tune
DON'T add power to your car
You are obviously not responsible enough to drive a car with that much power

I hope you know that your car is tracking how fast you go and saves that information in the computer regardless of whether you clear memory and disconnect the battery

Sheesh, with all the tickets people get for posting videos of them doing shit like this on youtube you'd think they could have enough information in your OP alone to open an investigate, check your Camaro's computer for evidence, and BAM there goes your license, your car, and you would be arrested
One day it'll be like that.

This is probably the coldest thing I'll say, I really hope you don't have a family. I hope you don't have any close friends. I hope you have no kids so long as you drive this way. Because you're obviously throwing them all a monkey wrench by driving like an idiot
the black box only records the last 8-10 sec before a crash. the data is constantly overwritten. it does not store the top speed the car has ever gone, unless it was in these last few sec.

also im sure in California there is no such thing as a open road but where im from you can see for miles and find roads where there is no one on. in the town that i grew up in it is several hundreds miles to the nearest track. and when we raced it was done in a safe organized manner, and in deserted stretches of road. even the local cops would come and watch and make sure things where done safely. there is a difference between irresponsible drivers and responsible drivers when it comes to stuff like this. i don't condone street racing or high speed runs. but if it is done in a manner that you are not endangering any one but your self, then no one has any right to say anything. it is there personal choice to take that risk, again as long as they are not doing this when there are other people or cars around. this stuff is going to happen. the only thing, we as responsible drivers is to encourage this to happen on a track, or if it must be done on the street it must be done in a safe manner where you are not endangering any one else on the road or on the side of the road. you got to think before you act.

now how he did this high speed run i don't know so i am not going to bash him, i instead will only encourage him to do this safely and preferably on a track.

2010 1SS/RS = Mysstique
Whipple Supercharger
Dyno= 618hp 555tq at the wheels
IMB Silver Stripes
VIN#44025
Born: 9/9/09 Delivered: 9/28/09
halo8hkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #28
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo8hkk View Post
the black box only records the last 8-10 sec before a crash. the data is constantly overwritten. it does not store the top speed the car has ever gone, unless it was in these last few sec.

also im sure in California there is no such thing as a open road but where im from you can see for miles and find roads where there is no one on. in the town that i grew up in it is several hundreds miles to the nearest track. and when we raced it was done in a safe organized manner, and in deserted stretches of road. even the local cops would come and watch and make sure things where done safely. there is a difference between irresponsible drivers and responsible drivers when it comes to stuff like this. i don't condone street racing or high speed runs. but if it is done in a manner that you are not endangering any one but your self, then no one has any right to say anything. it is there personal choice to take that risk, again as long as they are not doing this when there are other people or cars around. this stuff is going to happen. the only thing, we as responsible drivers is to encourage this to happen on a track, or if it must be done on the street it must be done in a safe manner where you are not endangering any one else on the road or on the side of the road. you got to think before you act.

now how he did this high speed run i don't know so i am not going to bash him, i instead will only encourage him to do this safely and preferably on a track.
as a mechanic who constantly deals with computer diagnostics I can tell you that you are wrong and there is much more data stored in the ECM alone, and I'm sure the OnStar module also keeps its own records

I've had customers come in for an overheating problem that only occurred when he was on the freeway a few weeks ago. Looked and it turned out he was going about the same speed, 115 mph, and it wasn't freeze frame data