Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-30-2015, 02:51 AM   #1
jimlem

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Harris Co. TX??

I mean this in all seriousness and am not looking to be funny or make anyone laugh. Not this time.

1st the fatal crash of the Suzuki MC versus tow truck (racing a Vette). And a member on here found out reading the article that the deceased was a good friend.

Then ~24 hrs later, same county a sheriff's deputy is gunned down filling up his Black & White at a chevron station. From my reading of the 2nd article it made Harris Co. seem a safe and relatively affluent area.

Did I miss something? This shit just happens way too often these days. LEOs, remember, always watch their hands. Would I be way out of line suggesting each in his own way take a few seconds of silence for 2 men now missing from their families?

From now on I go back to carrying my off-duty weapon full time.
jimlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:17 AM   #2
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlem View Post
I mean this in all seriousness and am not looking to be funny or make anyone laugh. Not this time.

1st the fatal crash of the Suzuki MC versus tow truck (racing a Vette). And a member on here found out reading the article that the deceased was a good friend.

Then ~24 hrs later, same county a sheriff's deputy is gunned down filling up his Black & White at a chevron station. From my reading of the 2nd article it made Harris Co. seem a safe and relatively affluent area.

Did I miss something? This shit just happens way too often these days. LEOs, remember, always watch their hands. Would I be way out of line suggesting each in his own way take a few seconds of silence for 2 men now missing from their families?

Harris County Texas encompasses the fourth largest city in the United States.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:06 AM   #3
Snitzy

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS Coupe
I'm sorry for the families losses and I'm totally for gun rights. I already have one friend who pull out of the academy because of what's going on today. But, having your weapon in this situation would have done nothing for you. He shot him from behind from what I've read. There was a video earlier this year of a young cop shooting a guy after asking him for his license and the guy reaching into his pocket to get it. An Itchy trigger finger can get you in some real trouble and you can't take it back. I'm a firm believer in the castle rule. My gun is right next to my bed in a lock box I can open in 5 seconds. Being afraid of going outside will only induce paranoia and make your decision making processes more shaky with a deadly weapon. I've only been on this planet for 28 years but I can tell you I've been in some situation where if I had a gun it would have probably changed my life for the worst. Personally, I'm starting to notice that my friends that think they need to carry their gun everywhere are watching media outlets that make them paranoid for political/financial reasons.
Snitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:06 AM   #4
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
Well, you can live on your knees or die on your feet. Anyway, I have a .380 concealable I carry just about everywhere. Those places you don't are well known in MI.

I carried to the bank recently and left my wallet at home. I committed 1 felony and 1 misdemeaner. Had I been stopped I very likely would have gone to jail. But I transacted my business and went straight home.

Now every time I leave home I do a check of my person and if I carry I now make sure I have my permit on me. Also the conceled carry license is a privilege I don't want to loose like driving.

Now that I have a Camaro, the likelyhood that I get jacked is now higher than just some random vehicle. So I always have the .380 in the center console. And yes it is totally legal, as I was stopped on another unrelated matter. The policeman asked for license and registration. I then informed him that I had a concealed carry license and that I was carrying. He asked where the guns were, and I said in my pocket and in the glovebox( I also had my Glock). I didn't have to produce them. Anyway, be careful out there.
Troy
Old 08-30-2015, 06:14 AM   #5
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlem View Post

There are 325 million people in the USA. Social media and instant news feeds are still a thing that we societally wrapping our heads around; we have been used to 'nightly news' etc. We receive news just about instantly now, and the human tendency is to feel a sense of overload.

Prior generations had sensationalist crimes. King, the Kennedys, assassinated. Watts riots. Even the Rodney King riots. "Bull Connors" little band of fun-loving hooligans. Go back more than a century, Boss Tweed could murder without fear.

News used to exist to inform and make the owners a mint. Now it exists to sell storylines through emotional content. It is entertainment media now. Violence sells and some news items have been identified as deliberately up-selling it. By the same token, good news doesn't make people tune in like fear and blood. If all you ever heard about were plane crashes, you'd never think a plane could land safely.

In the instance of street racing...not sure how that ties in with "this happens way too often these days". That sentiment applies to the cop killer but not the street racing in my mind; in the former the intent of the people involved was not death. In the second it was premeditated murder. I hope you're not wrapping up those events as being similar in your mind; this could be the first step into taking an adversarial attitude with the citizenry. In any case, the events are not related.

It is unrealistic to feel that a major urban area will be violent crime free, even a affluent area. Respectfully, if you're a cop and you're lulled into a sense of safety by being in an affluent area, check yourself. You're making assumptions. Anyone with a bus pass and 100 bucks can hop a greyhound to a "nice town" a shoot a cop. In the back of your head you know this has always been true. I have cops and Feds in my family and I know their departments have been reinforcing the idea that a sense of safety is a way to get killed.

I am also a legally licensed and responsible CCW holder. I know damned well that I'm not Spiderman and I can't tell if the person behind me is going to mash my skull with a length of iron pipe. I could have a rifle over my shoulder and I'd still die. Please remember that your firearm is a defensive measure that cannot save your life without you being aware of your surroundings and situation. Awareness is, obviously, your first and most effective line of defense.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:14 AM   #6
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
The 2nd Ammendment is a Right, not a privilege IMO.

Unless being searched you do not need to alarm the Officer further by telling him you have a concealed at a traffic stop. Make sure it stays concealed and obviously have your permit on you all the time.

I simply avoid places that are "Gun Free"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman007 View Post
Well, you can live on your knees or die on your feet. Anyway, I have a .380 concealable I carry just about everywhere. Those places you don't are well known in MI.

I carried to the bank recently and left my wallet at home. I committed 1 felony and 1 misdemeaner. Had I been stopped I very likely would have gone to jail. But I transacted my business and went straight home.

Now every time I leave home I do a check of my person and if I carry I now make sure I have my permit on me. Also the conceled carry license is a privilege I don't want to loose like driving.

Now that I have a Camaro, the likelyhood that I get jacked is now higher than just some random vehicle. So I always have the .380 in the center console. And yes it is totally legal, as I was stopped on another unrelated matter. The policeman asked for license and registration. I then informed him that I had a concealed carry license and that I was carrying. He asked where the guns were, and I said in my pocket and in the glovebox( I also had my Glock). I didn't have to produce them. Anyway, be careful out there.
Troy
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:29 AM   #7
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 ZL1 #7860 View Post
The 2nd Ammendment is a Right, not a privilege IMO.

Unless being searched you do not need to alarm the Officer further by telling him you have a concealed at a traffic stop. Make sure it stays concealed and obviously have your permit on you all the time.

I simply avoid places that are "Gun Free"
I'd like to expound on and expand on your first sentence but this is not the place. In fact this thread shouldn't be here, as poignant as it is; it's not about Camaros.

However, your idea that you don't have to inform an officer if you're carrying is very poor advice. There are laws and ordinances that vary from city to city and state to state. Your local laws may say that, but my local laws always apply, and even if they don't, in some areas, local PD will become extremely agitated with you if they do not agree with the local law that says you're not required to inform. They run your driver's license and they check to see if you can carry, simple as that.

Standing on constitutional ground versus a cop that knows you just broke a local law will not save you from jail or losing your CCW. Find out about the local laws regarding carrying, when you're carrying.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:34 AM   #8
b4cz28
TX SS

Drives: 2014 RS/2SS
We are a huge metro area! Huge! It can take hours to drive across it. There is also a very large number of us on this forum so your going to hear more about us.

Also in Texas don't you have to show your ccl every time your pulled over and it will come up when your dl is ran.
b4cz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:57 AM   #9
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4cz28 View Post
We are a huge metro area! Huge! It can take hours to drive across it. There is also a very large number of us on this forum so your going to hear more about us.

Also in Texas don't you have to show your ccl every time your pulled over and it will come up when your dl is ran.
I think most every state has you show your CCW permit on a traffic stop and even if it's not required it's common sense and most LEO's appreciate the honesty more times then not. A co-worker got pulled over showed his permit and was asked to step out of the car the officer asked him where the gun was it was in a lock box in the trunk he popped the trunk the officer checked and he got off from a speeding violation for being up front and honest, but i can also see where some newer LEO's could get jumpy and arrogant when handed one so it's a real issue on both sides with recent events involving officers. Almost falls under the damned if you do damned if you don't metaphor.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:19 AM   #10
Mels RS

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS Vert
Know the local laws!

In Texas you are required to show CHL anytime you are asked for ID of any kind.
Some states require you to inform the officer you are carrying immediately on contact.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
Mels RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:47 AM   #11
jimlem

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
@ChrisBlair "In the instance of street racing...not sure how that ties in with "this happens way too often these days". That sentiment applies to the cop killer but not the street racing in my mind; in the former the intent of the people involved was not death. In the second it was premeditated murder. I hope you're not wrapping up those events as being similar in your mind; this could be the first step into taking an adversarial attitude with the citizenry. In any case, the events are not related.

No, you're right. I know they are not really connected. I happened to read them the same night. Two brutal senseless deaths just sort of brought me down a bit. We all get desensitized to cops dying whether it's in an accident or or drug sting shootout etc. But this f**king one was not just a shooting it was a statement someone wanted to make. Anyway...

You're right we're off topic. I meant to write Off Topic in my title and forgot all about it
jimlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #12
IkoIko
IkoIko

Drives: '12 2SS 6MT Victory Red
Send a message via AIM to IkoIko
To jimlem- I am sorry for the loss of your friend. Also I am sad for the murder of the deputy. Both of them are in my prayers. Harris County is a little emptier for loss of these souls.
IkoIko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:26 PM   #13
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Just feel blessed to live a life where I do not feel the need to carry a firearm. I am not opposed to those of you that do carry one as long as done responsibly. No matter what you do, there will always be unfortunate situations that end horribly. Prayers and thoughts to the officer's family.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:13 PM   #14
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

[QUOTE=williamp78;8615882]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I'd like to expound on and expand on your first sentence but this is not the place. In fact this thread shouldn't be here, as poignant as it is; it's not about Camaros.

hall monitor? who cares
Oh, ain't you the bubbly, friendly and personable type that wins friends and influences people!

I care. Problems with that? Tough shit. Tell it to the marines.